Legend or Glory

Magnum

Hello CC members:)

My wife and I are trying to decide which Carnival ship to take on our cruise in Aug. Based on the fact that we need to depart from Tampa or Cape Canaveral we have it narrowed to the Legend or the Glory. Which of these two ships do you prefer and why? Any insight would be appreciated as we have only been on one three day cruise before.

thanks

Hello CC members:)

My wife and I are trying to decide which Carnival ship to take on our cruise in Aug. Based on the fact that we need to depart from Tampa or Cape Canaveral we have it narrowed to the Legend or the Glory. Which of these two ships do you prefer and why? Any insight would be appreciated as we have only been on one three day cruise before.

thanks

It's really up to what you're looking for on the ship, at the port, for the itenerary. Tampa is a very easy port to get to and to embark and disembark. You can get park n cruise rates at some hotels if you're driving in the night before. It's a relatively short cab/shuttle ride if you're flying in. Port Canaveral is a bit of a trek from the Orlando airport. But there are also park n cruise deals for the bigger hotels if you're driving in the night before.

Haven't been on the Glory. A lot of folks like it. The Legend is a great ship. DW loved the facilities in the spa--steam room, solarium, et.al. We had a great balcony room in May. So really it's up to any special bookings deals you can get, length of time in the ports visited, and other sundry preferences you may have.

I don't think you'll be disappointed in either boat.

We've been on both. Glory twice and Legend once. To me they are equal in that we had a fantastic time on both and I will sail either in a heartbeat. Which ever you choose will provide you with a wonderful vacation. Enjoy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:):)

Sailed the Glory twice and the Legend once. I personally like the spirit class ships like the Legend best. It is a bit smaller and easier to navigate. Both ports were easy for embarkation and debarkation. It is a toss up for me, but I think you will be pleased with either ship!

It matters if you are doing the eastern on Glory or western??? I like the Eastern Carr. better. I will be on the Legend Western route in 24 days. I've been on the Miracle that did the Western out of Tampa and it was easy and a lot of fun. Like other people said you won't go wrong, defiantly if you only have a 3 day under your belt. Any part of the Caribbean is nice so you can't go wrong. Also your prices for August right now are great. Let us know what you decide...curious.

I've never been on the Legend, but I've been on its sister ship, the Miracle. I just sailed the Glory last month and LOVED it! (My review of the Eastern route on the Glory is here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=987742)

I found the Glory much less overwhelming than the Spirit class ship. The layout was much easier for me to get used to and navigate. I knew my way around the ship by the second day of our cruise, and really enjoyed the "colors" theme.

Either ship will be fabulous, I'm sure though. Maybe let the itinerary and the CD be the deciding factors?

I was booked on the Legend for our December 13 cruise and wound up switching to the Glory - saved $90/pp for the exact same itinerary on the exact same dates - both Western. Still have a midship balcony room with an interior across the hall for the kids. I figure that $450 will go a long way towards a nice excursion or two.

I haven't been on the Miracle or sailed from Tampa........but I like the Conquest class ships and have been on the Glory 3 times.

I would always choose the larger ship.........And I like the alternating itineraries............

And as someone said "Fish n Chips"........not to be missed.

Both ships are great and both ports were easy to navigate. The Glory is a bit larger so the shops had a lot more to offer. Booked Cat. 11 Suite on both. The Glory had a bidet and the Legend did not. The bidet really entertained my young niece.

We leave Sunday on the Valour and next Sep on the Victory.

I love Carnival!

Trish

Thank you all very much for the feedback. My parents live in Sarasota so the Legend departing from Tampa is a bit more convenient.

It looks like the Glory is and eastern itinerary which visits Nassau, Bahamas (been there) ;St. Thomas, USVI ; St. Maarten, NA.

The legend is a western itinerary (Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands ; Cozumel, Mexico ; Belize ; Isla Roatan).

Well we ended up going with the western sailing of the Glory on July 25:):):):)

We booked a Cat 11 suite (number 7314) on the empress deck. Now I need some suggestions for the port itinerary. We would like our excursions to be a little more laid back and relaxing.I love photography and plan to take a lot of "tropical" photo's that I can be enlarged an framed.

The ports we are visiting are:

Cozumel

Belize

Costa Maya

Nassau

Any excursion or beach suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Well we ended up going with the western sailing of the Glory on July 25:):):):)

We booked a Cat 11 suite (number 7314) on the empress deck. Now I need some suggestions for the port itinerary. We would like our excursions to be a little more laid back and relaxing.I love photography and plan to take a lot of "tropical" photo's that I can be enlarged an framed.

The ports we are visiting are:

Cozumel

Belize

Costa Maya

Nassau

Any excursion or beach suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

We just got off the Glory last month and had a BLAST.

Ryan Fitzgerald should be your CD. We loved him.

All ports have "the thing to do" :

Cozumel - swimming with the dolphins

There are two locations now that offer this. Chankanaab Park and Dolphin World...both are about the same in taxi fare. I used to recommend that you do this through the ship when there was only one place to make sure you got a spot...not sure that is necessary now that there are two operators to choose from. Do not worry about getting a taxi back...there are more taxis than sand in Cozumel. It should be about $ 10.00 for a taxi of up to 4 people to Dolphin World (one way) and about $12 -15 to Chankanaab Park.

Laid back suggestion - hire Gerry for $95.00 for 3 hours (for up to 4 people) and go to the EAST side. It is primitive over there and there are the porous rock formations that the water shoots up through. There are about 6 - 8 that haul in purified ice etc. The food and drinks in Cozumel is fine as long as you eat/drink at established places. cozumeltaxi@hotmail.com is how you get ahold of Gerry. He speaks perfect English but his written English is a little rough...to Mike handles reservations for him. There is no deposit or Credit Card information needed...you just pay him at the end of the tour.

He picks you up at the ship and returns you to the ship...and you decide what to do inbetween. Gerry will also bring an icechest if you want him to...so that you can stop and fill it up with ice, soda, beer whatever...

Belize - cave tubing

Here is recommend cave-tubing.com (Yhony) Hubby and oldest son did it last year and had a blast. In Belize the port is one that you tender in. The area surrounded by the fence is called The Village. Yhony is located just outside the front door of "The Village" (to keep from having to charge guests more). He picks you up and drops you off right there.

Here is do not recommend a ship excursion (if they are even still doing them) because the ship excursions do not LINK. For safety, linking through out the entire float to a guide is KEY. Yhony has about 8 people in a guided train ... so a good ratio.

If you get on the 9:15am bus....you will be back to port around 2:30pm.

You pay in cash after the float. I had hubby just wear one of those water proof cases around his neck with money, one credit card and his sail and sign card....along with a photocopy of his passport.

In the 4 years I have been following Belize, I have never heard of one independent group missing the ship (which is always the big concern)..but it could happen. That is why it is nice that Costa Maya is your next stop...because it is only 6 hours from Belize.

Costa Maya - this is a quaint little beach town. I am not into ruins and history but this would be your ruins historical stop if you are. Otherwise...just take the bus ( a few bucks each) into "town" and have a beach day. The last time we were there...the vendors in "town" were a bit aggressive. The "town" gave them a talking to and it got better for awhile but then it has flared up again...so just be prepared. I am hoping that get that under control. If you don't want to deal with that...there is a huge salt water pool there at the port that is free. Lots of places to get a drink and relax around the pool.

Nassau - Atlantis and "The Dig" is interesting. I think tickets to The Dig are about $30.00 a person now...which I think is ridiculous. I mean it is nice....but I am not sure it is worth that. You can see alot of the Aquarium on your own....without going through The Dig. IF you get there before the kiosk opens at 8AM....there is no one there to sell you tickets.

The first time we bought tickets...the second time...we were there at 7:30AM and just walked through it.

Other facilities that Atlantis offers is off limits to cruisers. You have to be a guest there (OR at the Comfort Suites interesting enough) to use their beach and water rides. Some people rent a room for the day at the Comfort Suites...but now I believe that Carnival also offers day passes....not positive about that. We were just there last month and I think I heard someone talking about that. Just check their Excursions list on line if you are interested.

Pop in on Russell in the piano bar and tell him that Linda said HI !!!

Archived