Renting a car thru NCL $40 for 8 hours

flashdog_1

Has anyone ever done this? "On Your Own" is how they advertise it, and only one person in your party need pay the $40.

Want to know if it is less hassle than just booking the car yourself. Thanks

I did the "Hilo At Your Leisure" a couple of weeks ago and it was hassle-free. Just took the Alamo shuttle and had a car within 20 mins. (Jeep Wrangler with removable hard-top if I recall correctly).

I wish I'd done this for all the other ports...

-AndyInAtl

I did the "Hilo At Your Leisure" a couple of weeks ago and it was hassle-free. Just took the Alamo shuttle and had a car within 20 mins. (Jeep Wrangler with removable hard-top if I recall correctly).

I wish I'd done this for all the other ports...

-AndyInAtl

Were there additional charges? I see on the websites that a $29 a day car actually costs $38 and change.

So if there's any shortening of the process, maybe it IS worth it.

Did you get to choose the size car or just take whatever they had for you for $40? Thanks

I was just going to ask this very question. I took this cruise in 2007 and we rented independently at every port except Kona. We got pretty good deals using Thrifty but if we get the car for 8 hours for 40 maybe it would be easier. Does anyone have anything to compare this to. What about the overnight ports? Can you rent from the ship for overnight?

Were there additional charges? I see on the websites that a $29 a day car actually costs $38 and change.

So if there's any shortening of the process, maybe it IS worth it.

Did you get to choose the size car or just take whatever they had for you for $40? Thanks

The "excursion" was paid in advance thru NCL. I waived the other insurance and liability stuff and, when we were done, there were no additional charges.

As far as size of automobile, I didn't ask. They offered the Jeep, and I didn't haggle about it. ;)

I don't have the excursions in front of me, but I seem to recall it being *slightly* more than $40 ($42 maybe?). I'd have to go back and look. But all-in-all, I thought it was a great deal.

-AndyInAtl

Probably the HI tax of 4.166%. Guess I'd better call NCL to find out about car size! Since you waived the insurance stuff, does that mean you were relying on your personal car insurance, or based on the credit card you used on board or both?

How early a shuttle did you take? With the NCL "excursion" ticket in hand, did that let you off earlier than those without NCL excursions? Did it say on the ticket what agency you were to report to? Did you notice if there were others with the NCL "chit" and if so what kind of car they received?

Thanks Andy!

Has anyone ever done this? "On Your Own" is how they advertise it, and only one person in your party need pay the $40.

Want to know if it is less hassle than just booking the car yourself. Thanks

Rental car business is cut throat on the islands and you can surely find a better rate.

The downside is that many of the rental companies aren't conveniently located. Speaking from experience renting from airport. My wife always gets us a deal that involves some company NOT Hertz or Avis. We always end up waiting inline for the single agent and I can't remember a time ( last 3 times ) where it didn't take us less the 40' between when we got to the rental office and drive off. For a week long rental saving of 10/day I do it. For a single day I think the price you got is good, provided you have a streamlined process rental proces. If not, you can easily find somethign for 10/day less, but likely may have to figure out how to get to the rental agency.

The Islands really are meant to be explored in your private car. All the rental agencys have them tourist maps that point out all the big attractions and of course lots of advertisements of places to eat and shop too :D Paying to do a private vehicle tour is money wasted, money spent for excursions is well worth it depending on the activity.

Enjoy

I am not sure what the advantage would be of this? You take the same shuttles that everyone else takes for car rentals but you get the opportunity to pay at least $20 extra. Why?

I rented cars on 5 different occasions on our cruise, the total wait time for all 5 rentals wasn't the 40 minutes that chipmaster experienced on one rental and the most I paid, taxes all in was $52 for a convertible. I strongly suggest shopping around.

AndyinATL said he only waited 20 minutes and was given a jeep Wrangler. I haven't called NCL yet to find out what category of car they have reserved for their "excursion" people.

Surely Andy's not the only person who has done this thru NCL. If it gets you off the ship more quickly perhaps it is worth it if they give you a decent car that has the $40 value and it's faster. Since it's prepaid, all you'd have to do is check that you didn't want the waivers. Seems that would be faster, too.

1) They use Alamo and Alamo is the only shuttle that can enter within the gates, she said, so that's faster since you don't have to go outside the gates to get your shuttle.

2) Since this is an NCL excursion, you get off the ship before those who do not have NCL excursions, therefore faster (I'd guess you get the first shuttle, but then how many others have or have not booked the car rental with NCL would determine whether others w/out NCL booking will be on the first shuttle with you! For instance, if we were the only ones with the NCL booking I'm sure the shuttle would wait to fill up the vehicle before leaving for the airport).

3) It is for a compact car which other agencies have for $31-36 plus tax.

4) They do not reserve Jeep Wranglets, so I'm guessing they were out of compact cars when Andy got one for the same price, and he got a deal!

5) you CAN reserve a larger car thru NCL for more $.

6) The 4.116% tax is added to your $40 and is charged on the ship, so you do not have a financial transaction at the rental agency.

I don't recall an priority disembarkation for those with NCL excursions at the non-tender ports...everyone pretty much lined up and walked off when the ship docked. Alamo is not a good option for Kona (far away from tender dock)

When we cruised last year all the shuttles were in the same place...none were any closer, and it was not a far walk in any of the ports. Are you sure the agent who gave you this information has actually been to Hawaii on an NCL cruise?

And it sounds like you still have to wait in line for your car (along with everyone who rented directly from the agency and possibly behind those with priority club memberships) once you get there.

We have recently joined the Avis preferred club and our last two rentals with them have been QUICK...even in DCA where there were long lines and most agencies were sold out of cars. The National program is also usually excellent...both are just about on par with Hertz in our experience.

The woman I spoke with at NCL had NOT been to Hawaii. That was the first thing I asked her.

She was probably reading the party line. I know on other cruise lines you do have to wait until all the ship's early tours have disembarked. Maybe that's not so with NCL.

Maybe Andy will come on again and tell us if he had to meet at a certain location on the ship or dock and if he got off first.

And yes, everyone has to stand in line.

Does anyone know the veracity of her statement about getting off the ship first?

As someone that has rented at every port but Lahaina, I can tell you that there are no priority shuttles. However, at Kona, we did have to walk outside the gate (a whole extra 50 yards maybe) but that was an error on my part. We should never have rented at the airport in Kona as way too much time was wasted on their shuttles when there are agencies near the pier.

At the rental agency, only loyalty programs have priority service. There is absolutely no time saved in booking through the cruiseline.

I don't know who pays list rates but if you are content in paying whatever the initial quote is, then yes compacts can rent for over $30. However, the smallest amount of research will get rates much below what the cruise line is charging. As I said, the most I paid, all taxes in was $52 for a convertible. The lowest was $28, all taxes in, so I strongly suggest that you show around. The $20+/rental adds up if you are renting frequently.

Rent through NCL if you wish, but know that it is not saving you time and it is costing you more.

Thanks. I've taken everyone's advice. I've used the discount Hawaii rental car website and booked Maui with Avis and Hilo with Thrifty. Each, with all taxes and fees is $40.20 for an intermediate vehicle.

I've joined the Wiz with Avis and Blue Chip with Thrifty hoping that there'll be a separate line for "members."

I have an upgrade coupon for each, also, that I got from the website. But I noticed the one for Avis is for 2008! However, on the reservation form it says "accepted" by the code, so I'm hoping the fare will be about $5 less in each port.

Thanks. I've taken everyone's advice. I've used the discount Hawaii rental car website and booked Maui with Avis and Hilo with Thrifty. Each, with all taxes and fees is $40.20 for an intermediate vehicle.

I've joined the Wiz with Avis and Blue Chip with Thrifty hoping that there'll be a separate line for "members."

I have an upgrade coupon for each, also, that I got from the website. But I noticed the one for Avis is for 2008! However, on the reservation form it says "accepted" by the code, so I'm hoping the fare will be about $5 less in each port.

Hi Phyllis

Could you please tell me what the discount Hawaii rental website is? My husband and I are on the POA on 10/24/2009, and would like to rent cars in some of the ports. I checked a few rates, and they were much higher than what you posted.

Thanks.

Gladly. I got these here on cruise critic by reading reviews:

http://www.hawaiicarrental.com/Hawaii%20promotions.htm

http://www.discounthawaiicarrental.com/

Avis has an upgrade coupon. Get a mid size for price of compact.

Actually most of them have the upgrade IF available, and all have unlimited mileage. Just fill the tank before you return the car.

Thrifty no extra charge for 2nd driver.

http://www.hawaiicarrentals.net/rates.html

Will the ship wait for you if you are late for any reason? I ask because if you book an excursion with NCL they will wait if the tour is late.

First, if you've booked a car for the first day in port in Maui and Kauai where the ship overnights, there's not any danger of missing the ship. But if you booked the car for the 2nd day, just be sure you do not go too far afield to take the risk.

In the case of renting a car, I'm not sure that NCL would wait for you. And the "for any reason" doesn't hold water. Of course if you'd had car trouble and called the ship, maybe. Always have the NCl number with you whether you booked a car or a private excursion. They also give a local contact # should you miss the ship by a mile. This person will help you arrange for transportation (at your expense) to the next port of call. And have the car rental number with you also so a replacement or at least a pick up can be given in adequate time to get you back to the ship.

And naturally you do not try to do anything really long on a short port day when you're booking independently.

Will the ship wait for you if you are late for any reason? I ask because if you book an excursion with NCL they will wait if the tour is late.
That is a risk I am more than willing to take for the freedom, flexibility, cost savings and superior touring options that renting your own car provides. JMHO:)

Sounds like a great plan. Have a fantastic cruise!

Having just read a review about a vehicle accident seen on their way TO their destination in a rental car, I'm getting scared. When they finished their day of traveling the road site was STILL not cleaned up and traffic was halted. I think I'd panic if I could not get the car back to the airport in time to catch the ship.

What would you do in such a case? Call the rental people and say you were abandoning the car and walking back? ha

Archived