Duty free Alcohol and Cigarettes

I don't smoke either. However I do like the adult beverages and always buy some from the duty free store onboard to take home. Alcohol is cheaper since it does not have state and perhaps federal tax. The same is true of cigarettes. The state tax can be quite high as is the federal tax so a nice savings can be obtained. There is a duty free limit on the amount of tobacco and liquor when reentering the USA. Customs has always asked me whether I had liquor or tobacco products on reentry and how much I was carrying.

Cigarettes are always cheaper onboard. I believe that my DH paid $22 per carton and they offer a better deal when buying 2. You are only allowed 1 carton per adult when re-entering the U.S. but, I have never seen them actually look. We have taken the packs out of the carton and thrown them in the carry on or the suitcase, never a problem.

I have a dumb question (but I'm a non-smoker). Someone told me they bought a name brand cigarette in Europe (Marlboro or Camel?) and they tasted awful, I guess I just thought a Camel is a Camel. Are they the same smokes you get stateside??

Cigarettes are always cheaper onboard. I believe that my DH paid $22 per carton........

That would not buy 3 packs of 20 in the UK, yes they are cheap, but I would never start smoking again, couldn't afford the cruises:D

Archived