Alaska Cruise Air and Hotel

We are in the beginning stage of planning our Alaska cruise. Being in FL, we don't use RCI to book air or hotel. Do those of you who do Alaska use RCI to book flights and hotel. I am figuring I could do it cheaper. What are the pluses and minuses of using RCI or doing it yourself. We would be flying out of Tampa to Seattle and then out of Vancouver back to Tampa. We would like to get into Seattle the day before we leave.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

We are in the beginning stage of planning our Alaska cruise. Being in FL, we don't use RCI to book air or hotel. Do those of you who do Alaska use RCI to book flights and hotel. I am figuring I could do it cheaper. What are the pluses and minuses of using RCI or doing it yourself. We would be flying out of Tampa to Seattle and then out of Vancouver back to Tampa. We would like to get into Seattle the day before we leave.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Tom and Sara,

You are going to have great time. We had a TA do everything which was nice, but next year I think we are going back and I will do it directly with RCCL. We flew direct from Memphis to Seattle, a shuttle picked us up at the airport and took us to the Westin in downtown Seattle. The next morning we loaded up and went directly to the port and was on the ship within 30 minutes, very smooth. At the end of the cruise the shuttle took us back to the airport and we were back in Memphis before we wanted to be. Have a great time.

Well, as dwillis43 illustrated, booking your pre-night hotel and flights with Royal Caribbean provides seamless travel, with the transfers and all. Given the fact that you are sailing from Seattle and returning into Vancouver, you may do well to book through the cruiseline for this 'open jaw' flight itinerary.

Please keep in mind that you are welcome to use the cruiseline's Custom Air (for a fee) to choose the flights/airlines that you prefer. They will work with you based on when you would like to leave Tampa, what the routing of the flights will be (hopefully direct!), etc. And I'd recommend checking with the airline once your itinerary is set, to confirm your seat assignments. The cruiselines have a tendency to book you pretty far back in the plane.

Enjoy your Alaska cruise!

Thanks for the info. It seems much more expensive for air fare and hotel thru the cruise lines... but I am wondering if the convenience would not offset the expense.

The convenience is what sold us. But as JMF said make sure you go with the custom air so you get exactly what you want.

Thanks for the info. It seems much more expensive for air fare and hotel thru the cruise lines... but I am wondering if the convenience would not offset the expense.

IMHO no. However I traveled extensively in my occupation for several decades before retiring (card carrying road warrior). I am used to dealing with hotels, airlines, car rental and taxis. I like to control my trips so I book my own. BTW there is a train that runs from Seattle to Vancouver and back for a modest fee and can be booked online. It may make the airline ticket a bit cheaper.

Archived