Comments please - Bering Sea Crab Fisherman's Tour - Ketchikan

I also booked that same shore excursion after reading some comments on TripAdvisor. Ever comment that I saw gave it between a 4 star & a 5 star recommendation. They had some very interesting things to say & some photos regarding it.

I also booked that same shore excursion after reading some comments on TripAdvisor. Ever comment that I saw gave it between a 4 star & a 5 star recommendation. They had some very interesting things to say & some photos regarding it.

Thanks for the tip. I'll check TripAdvisor. Too bad my favorite Captain Sig from the Northwestern won't be there.

We did the Wilderness Exploration and Crab Feast in Ketchikan last week and if you want hands on crab fishing I would say to do this one. They take you out to a small estuary through the most scenic inlet where you will actually be able to pull up pots by hand (yes, they are much smaller than the ones on the show) but they can still pack about 40 crabs in each. I chose this tour as there was more participation and if I want to see other people crab fishing I will just watch the Deadliest Catch. This is how the locals do it.

Then you go back to the lodge for all you can eat crab which is some of the best crab I have had in the past 10 years. They are not shy trying to get you to eat as much as you can/want. The guides were wonderful and it was a nice long tour that was well worth the cost - I think its about the same price as the Bering Sea Tour.

here's a report from someone last year about this tour.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=791205&highlight=deadliest+catch

I've just read comments on Trip Advisor and this attached link. I'm convinced this is what I'd love to see and do. Thanks to everyone who responded to my question.:) I can see I'm going to spend $$$ on shore excursions for this 14 day cruise.

If there is something you really want to do, do it. Life is too short. Do the things that you can only do at a certain place. You may not go back. I had to be convinced to do the Blue Hawaiian Helicopter on Kauai. I am so glad I did. go again, no way but I DID it!:p

We did our 6th cruise to Alaska in May. We've taken a number of excursions on those cruises, and the only one we took on the May cruise was "The Deadliest Catch" excursion. Suffice it to say we thought it was absolutely one of the best we've taken. The crew is great, you can get up close to "the catches" and you just won't believe the eagle encounter. It's a bit pricey, but thorougly enjoyable and well done! Take your camcorder and camera!

We did the Bering Sea "Deadliest Catch" Tour two weeks ago in Ketchikan and aside from the spectacular weather that week, it was the highlight of our trip. You are taken about 30 minutes from Ketchikan to an offshore area that is under native control and not subject to Alaska gov't regulations which allows the crew to demonstrate various types of fishing that may be out of season.

The first type of fishing demonstrated is long line fishing. Any fish caught are put into a tank , where you can get a close up look during the tour before being released live at the tour's end.

After the crab pots are brought up the crew moves about the boat with specimans allowing you to hold the crabs for closer examination and picture opportunities. There is room to wander the ship and see everything and the crew encourages questions.

During the ride out and back and beween pots the crew colorfully talk about the trials , tribulations, ups and downs of being a fisherman. The 3.5 hours flew by and we came back with great memories and pictures.

If you are a fan of " Deadliest Catch" you won't want to miss this tour.

Archived