Cost of cruise insurance

agabbymama

For my 12 night Med cruise in Oct '08, (I guestimated $3500 cost of trip) I priced insurance on insure my trip dot com and the cost was approximately $128 pp for the basic trip cancellation/medical/evacuation policy.

Now for my 7 night Baltics cruise for Aug '10, (guestimated $3000 cost of trip) I priced the insurance at the same website and the costs are from $449 for two of us on up to over $1000.

Anyone have any idea why the rates might have doubled? We are 2 years older, the trip is shorter but still in the same price range.

Anyone have any other suggestions of where to look?

Forget I asked, I found my answer. Mine would cost about the same, but my friend is now 80 so hers is the reason the premium went so high. Will have to let her decide if she is even going to get insurance.

Sounds to me that you had VERY basic coverage for the earlier cruise. THat cost was very low, in my experience. Of course I don't have your age info.

Make sure you are comparing apples to apples. Remember that medical insurance and evacuation costs have REALLY jumped. And if the policy you look at now includes good coverage for those, the costs will indeed be higher.

I wouldn't look to compare. Just shop for what you need NOW. And make sure you are buying ENOUGH coverage with few exclusions.

There really isn't anyplace to buy "discount" priced insurance. Just go back to insuremytrip and compare the policies, narrow it down to 2 or 3, then actually look at the policy itself, noting exclusions. Buy what you need. Stick to the highest rated insusrance companies.

the insurance on http://www.imsuremytrip.com is age rated(the price of the insurance varies by age). The insurance the cruise lines do is NOT age rated(one price for everyone). So as you age it does become relatively cheaper to buy through the cruise line.

Most health insurance and car insurance sold to individuals are age rated while group insurance tends not to be. I was one lobbying in NJ when some senior citizen said and demanded that all health insurance should be non-age rated(one price)....and I pointed out to be fair so should car insurance...that ended that discussion.

The risk of getting a claim increases as you get older. If you make health insurance one price it becomes prohibitively expensive for younger people who will just not buy it. A group at work tends to be younger and healthier and even though most of it is not age rated it is assuredly experience rated.(for groups above 50 below 50 it is not experience rated and tends to be more expensive)....

the insurance on www.imsuremytrip.com is age rated(the price of the insurance varies by age). The insurance the cruise lines do is NOT age rated(one price for everyone). So as you age it does become relatively cheaper to buy through the cruise line.

Most health insurance and car insurance sold to individuals are age rated while group insurance tends not to be. I was one lobbying in NJ when some senior citizen said and demanded that all health insurance should be non-age rated(one price)....and I pointed out to be fair so should car insurance...that ended that discussion.

The risk of getting a claim increases as you get older. If you make health insurance one price it becomes prohibitively expensive for younger people who will just not buy it. A group at work tends to be younger and healthier and even though most of it is not age rated it is assuredly experience rated.(for groups above 50 below 50 it is not experience rated and tends to be more expensive)....

Thanks for the response smeyer418

It took me a few minutes to realize that. The first quote I did was for the two of us, and was astounded at the premium. Then when I put in for a quote for just myself, it was almost identical to what I paid last year. Then I put in for my friend and saw that her premium was triple. I then realized it was indeed age related.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate your responses.

Archived