Warning...Lido deck VERY slippery when wet!

beach410

For those of you who arent aware, those little yellow cones that caution you that the floor is slippery when wet, they should actually read, EXTREMELY slippery when wet. I dont know about you, but I have almost fell, a couple of times when walking on the wet lido deck. I thought to myself, man, someone is going to hurt themselves if they arent extra careful, because I was being cautious when I almost fell, so imagine if you are not paying attention, looking the other direction and dont notice those cones until its too late?

Well, that is exactly what happened to both of my sister in laws, however, one of them is getting surgery today, she broke her knee in 4 places. It had rained in Nassau for about an hour and the decks were wet, she was just coming back from getting something to eat before our snorkeling excursion when she fell. Needless to say, her and my brother didnt get to go.

Carnival did a good job of responding, took x rays, gave her pain meds and put her leg in a splint, there she spent the last two days of her first cruise on the Sensation. According to their xrays however, they didnt think she broke any bones, yesterday xrays confirmed she did. She is a nurse and I am sure will be out of work for some time recovering. :(

She is a real trooper, she managed to make it to dinner, dressed up even and make the most out of the situation and decided she really likes cruising. Regardless of the situation, we all had a very nice time on our extended family cruise.

I'm sorry to hear about your SIL's misfortune.

Yeah, the decks can be very slippery so caution is always required when the decks are wet.

I've sailed a number of times and recall the CD stressing this in the Welcome Aboard Show.

Thank your SIL for me for her excellent attitude.

:)

I almost wiped out carrying my food tray to a table. It was right in front of the drink machine on the Lido. I was even walking carefully and slowly due to a lower back issue. The floor felt almost greasy and I was wearing tennis shoes. There was a cone nearby, but when it's very crowded it's hard to see it.:(

The area around 'any pool' may be wet but most certainly is not always slippery

It all depends on the flooring and on the Carnival lido deck pool areas they are tiled and very slippery ... I have been on other lines where this is not always the case..

My parents have a wonderful yard with a huge in ground pool tiled and landscaped and although it is almost always wet in the summer.. it is not slippery

The OP was giving a PSA..... it was a nice thing...

I would like to post a caution to those who wear flip-flops that have more of a foam-type sole. They are very slippery on the wet decks and you will go sliding. I recommend not even bringing that type on the cruise with you, just to be on the safe side.

Well' date=' my assumption has always been that the area around any pool anywhere is slippery when wet....and I take proper precautions.

I don't need a cone or a sign to advise me.[/quote']

She had a pool in her backyard too, its never slippery when wet, and FYI..I have taken precautions around that deck, and on several occasions have almost wiped out, that wood decking is extremely slippery and this is just a note to those who arent aware, there is no rubber stipping to minimize the slip affect. Good for you for not needing a sign, woo hoo!

Actually, there are A LOT of ignorant people walking around the pool area forgetting wet means SLIPPERY. I do sometimes postion myself near those areas just to watch the show. And I'm NEVER disappointed.

And it's usually those that are STRUTTING their stuff.

If you wish to avoid harm, MAKE SURE YOUR WEAR POOL APPROPRIATE SHOES, and WATCH YOUR STEP.

When I was on the Valor in Sept, I fell too. It was the last night and they had apparently just washed the decks and no signs were put out. Not only that it was very dim, since it was after 9pm. There were no lights on and my friend and I wanted to go to the back of the ship to talk since there was a party going on at the main part of the deck. Normal shoes I had on and no, no drinks were comsumed. Do you know that I slipped and fell right about 20 feet away from crew and an officer of the ship?? Did anyone help me? Or see if I was ok? No.. Carnival got a nice letter from me.. Lucky for them I was not hurt.... But yes that Lido deck is slippery.

Well' date=' my assumption has always been that the area around any pool anywhere is slippery when wet....and I take proper precautions.

[b']I don't need a cone or a sign to advise me.

[/b]

Since you are not the only one that is on the ship, the cone/signs are for the rest of the pax. Just because you know to take caution, those that do not will then be informed.

To the OP, sorry about your SIL.

Well' date=' my assumption has always been that the [b']area around any pool anywhere is slippery when wet[/b]....and I take proper precautions.

Wrong assumption........my pool deck at home is not slippery;) nor some of the other cruise lines.....

The area around 'any pool' may be wet but most certainly is not always slippery

It all depends on the flooring and on the Carnival lido deck pool areas they are tiled and very slippery ... I have been on other lines where this is not always the case..

My parents have a wonderful yard with a huge in ground pool tiled and landscaped and although it is almost always wet in the summer.. it is not slippery

The OP was giving a PSA..... it was a nice thing...

Thats right! And also the wet teak decking on Carnival is very dangerous when wet.........

We saw a child get hurt really bad on a fall on the Elation. Yes the cones were there next to the slide area.......every kid that came around the corner slipped and fell.......we told the crew member this was happening and they shrugged it off.......until the mother of the hurt child went a brought back an officer did they do anything about it.......

Wrong assumption........my pool deck at home is not slippery;) nor some of the other cruise lines.....

Thats right! And also the wet teak decking on Carnival is very dangerous when wet.........

We saw a child get hurt really bad on a fall on the Elation. Yes the cones were there next to the slide area.......every kid that came around the corner slipped and fell.......we told the crew member this was happening and they shrugged it off.......until the mother of the hurt child went a brought back an officer did they do anything about it.......

Yep

and then some people wonder why others sue...

;)

Actually, there are A LOT of ignorant people walking around the pool area forgetting wet means SLIPPERY. I do sometimes postion myself near those areas just to watch the show. And I'm NEVER disappointed.

And it's usually those that are STRUTTING their stuff.

If you wish to avoid harm, MAKE SURE YOUR WEAR POOL APPROPRIATE SHOES, and WATCH YOUR STEP.

You actually enjoy watching people fall and break something? I can assure you, my SIL is NOT ignorant, nor was she strutting her stuff or drunk, she was merely walking normally across the lido deck with her 15 year old daughter and she was just not aware of how slippery the Lido deck gets and I dont see how anyone is to know that they have to wear SO CALLED APPROPRIATE SHOES, what exactly is that? I never see anything more then flip flops and sandals, that is what I always wear when going to the pool. You people who criticize others for having an accident and blame them are so ridiculous.

For those of you who arent aware, those little yellow cones that caution you that the floor is slippery when wet, they should actually read, EXTREMELY slippery when wet. I dont know about you, but I have almost fell, a couple of times when walking on the wet lido deck. I thought to myself, man, someone is going to hurt themselves if they arent extra careful, because I was being cautious when I almost fell, so imagine if you are not paying attention, looking the other direction and dont notice those cones until its too late?

Well, that is exactly what happened to both of my sister in laws, however, one of them is getting surgery today, she broke her knee in 4 places. It had rained in Nassau for about an hour and the decks were wet, she was just coming back from getting something to eat before our snorkeling excursion when she fell. Needless to say, her and my brother didnt get to go.

Carnival did a good job of responding, took x rays, gave her pain meds and put her leg in a splint, there she spent the last two days of her first cruise on the Sensation. According to their xrays however, they didnt think she broke any bones, yesterday xrays confirmed she did. She is a nurse and I am sure will be out of work for some time recovering. :(

She is a real trooper, she managed to make it to dinner, dressed up even and make the most out of the situation and decided she really likes cruising. Regardless of the situation, we all had a very nice time on our extended family cruise.

Sorry that this happened. I hope she heals quickly!

Let me go a bit further though and caution everyone that any of the decks are very slippery when wet so be careful!

I almost wiped out carrying my food tray to a table. It was right in front of the drink machine on the Lido. I was even walking carefully and slowly due to a lower back issue. The floor felt almost greasy and I was wearing tennis shoes. There was a cone nearby, but when it's very crowded it's hard to see it.:(

I have walked on the Lido when it felt "greasy" also. I had on sneakers & my feet would literally slide across the floor. I am very careful.

You actually enjoy watching people fall and break something? I can assure you, my SIL is NOT ignorant, nor was she strutting her stuff or drunk, she was merely walking normally across the lido deck with her 15 year old daughter and she was just not aware of how slippery the Lido deck gets and I dont see how anyone is to know that they have to wear SO CALLED APPROPRIATE SHOES, what exactly is that? I never see anything more then flip flops and sandals, that is what I always wear when going to the pool. You people who criticize others for having an accident and blame them are so ridiculous.

No, my expectation is not for someone to break something. Don't put words in my keyboard.

And if nothing happened, be sure I would not sit there. But it does (through NO fault of mine). And frequently. You want to blame me for that, go right ahead.

I also watch Americas Funniest Videos. It's only been on for over 20 years. You should see the ones where people come off the top of the skiing chairlift. I would sit there too if I could.

And you might find me sitting outside the funhouse as well. They are just as amusing. Make sure you wear a skirt!

I don't need a cone or a sign to advise me.[/quote']

Great that you are so brilliant. What about all of the other decks that might get wet, whether inside or out? Are you clairvoyant? Do you always see every puddle?

Further I don't care how many precautions you take unless you are crawling on all fours anyone can fall on a deck at any time.

Archived