Warning...Lido deck VERY slippery when wet!

beach410

Actually, there are A LOT of ignorant people walking around the pool area forgetting wet means SLIPPERY. I do sometimes postion myself near those areas just to watch the show. And I'm NEVER disappointed.

And it's usually those that are STRUTTING their stuff.

If you wish to avoid harm, MAKE SURE YOUR WEAR POOL APPROPRIATE SHOES, and WATCH YOUR STEP.

You must be hard up for entertainment.

It's free, and no lines.

Mr. Pete,

I must say...you are cracking me up on this LONG friday at work....trying to get by this excrutiating 14 days until I am on the Pride...and you have made the day sooo much more bearable!

Kevin

YES YES YES those will work, and I bet you will win one of those solid gold plastic Miracle ships toooooo!

But all and all the pool deck wet or not wet, a cone posted or Not, is slippery, I don't know how everyone is dancing and jumping around and NOT falling? (maybe there feet just arn't hitting the ground! No matter what kind of shoes I have had on, I feel my feet coming out from under me, OH and bare foot too, My 11 year old took a tumble coming out and down from the hot tub, I thought she broke her back, She had som great bruises to start the trip, we wern't even out of NY yet when this happened!

Sorry that this happened. I hope she heals quickly!

Let me go a bit further though and caution everyone that any of the decks are very slippery when wet so be careful!

Very true. My first cruise (NCL) I was walking along a promenade deck (not by the pool) with video tape in hand and they had been washing the deck and the water wasn't dry. I was not looking down as I was taking in all the wonder of the ocean as I walked along and whoop right on my butt. Let me tell you it hurts to fall when you are older:p

I learned no more flip flops for me on cruises. I don't even pack em. All my shoes onboard have rubber non slip soles and even them are slippery sometimes. The floors are so slick and shiny even indoors where there is no water. Add a rocking boat and it is an accident waiting to happen. Only way around it is to put rubber flooring all over the ship but I think I like things just the way they are...slippery or not.

I wear Teva flip-flops. (to all you "older" folks - thongs, as they used to be known before thongs became something worn on a different body part:eek:)

They are made to be worn on wet surfaces. I can't tell you how many times I have skidded out on them on the deck. I walk very gingerly now if I see the deck is wet- and I still have had some close calls!

The worst flip-flops to wear on slippery surfaces are Keno's made in Key West, FL. They are made of leather. I own many pairs and have done the slip slide many times. I usually don't fall just slip and slide. One day I may throw my back out, but I love them. I guess I shouldn't wear them on the ship.

I'm glad to find out that the lido deck will be very slippery (i expect so much near water but to know that there have been some issues).

This is my first cruise and I will be on crutches. I slipped and fell on ice in February and broke my leg. I have learned after snow and rain that wet crutches and floor do not go well together.

I have crutch spikes, do you think it would be ok to use these, or will i wreck the deck too much? They flip up (as seen in picture) when I dont need them.

icegripF.jpg

I guess DF will have to do all of my drink and food runs for me!!!! What a perfect Honeymoon :D

I'm glad to find out that the lido deck will be very slippery (i expect so much near water but to know that there have been some issues).

This is my first cruise and I will be on crutches. I slipped and fell on ice in February and broke my leg. I have learned after snow and rain that wet crutches and floor do not go well together.

I have crutch spikes, do you think it would be ok to use these, or will i wreck the deck too much? They flip up (as seen in picture) when I dont need them.

icegripF.jpg

I guess DF will have to do all of my drink and food runs for me!!!! What a perfect Honeymoon :D

Don't use the spikes. You will rip the teak decks to shreds.

Update: My SIL just came from surgery, they wired her knee cap back together, it was broken in 4 places. She is home and on pain killers, they expect that she will be back to work in two months. She is looking forward to future cruises.

Thanks to everyones well wishes and dont forget, be careful!!

Update: My SIL just came from surgery, they wired her knee cap back together, it was broken in 4 places. She is home and on pain killers, they expect that she will be back to work in two months. She is looking forward to future cruises.

Ouch! Hope she has a speedy recovery!!!

My kneecap hurts today after doing a vigorous bicycle workout on new equipment. I've been moaning and groaning today-I cannot even imagine the pain of a kneecap broken in 4 places. Ouch ouch ouch.

Hope she feels better soon.

Thoughts and prayers. Don't get upset because some people on this site have little to no sympathy. Most people understand that accidents happen and you were just trying to forewarn so that others don't have to go through what your SIL just went through.

Hugs for your sister and for her birthday, give her a yellow cone!!!!!!!! ;)

Boat deck+water+moving=slippery

It never ceases to amaze me that people and especially seasoned cruisers don't get the concept that this is an ocean going vessel. It does not matter whether it is 7:00 AM - 7:00 PM or 12 midnight any and I mean ANY deck exposed to open air or in the vacinity of is at risk of being slippery. Unless I am in my own cabin I keep my eyes peeled and down as you do not know what is in front of you. Why do we need cones, warnings, etc etc telling us to be cautious - unless you cleaned it, swept it or mopped it yourself you can never be certain of any area. We cannot protect against stupid or negligence on EVERYONES behalf.

I wish her well! I broke my knee cap in less than a foot of water at Fire Island.. and i never even fell.. a strong current came in and my knee went one way and the rest of the leg and foot went another..

I feel her pain!! On the positive, shes off for the summer!!

Archived