Seward to Denali to ANC

natvtxn

What can ya'll tell me about getting from Seward (post cruise and 2 nights there) to Denali and then to ANC? Will this require a car rental? Do they gauge you for a one-way rental?

Hi,

I'm not sure I understand your question totally, I'm reading you are getting off your cruise - then spending 2 days in Seward, then wish to go to Denali and then to Anchorage (to fly home)? Perhaps it would be best to look at the Denali Park Connection bus as an option.

Here's the link:

http://www.alaskacoach.com/

And here's what they say:

The Alaska Park Connection offers twice daily summer coach service between Anchorage and Denali Park or Seward, including same day connecting service between Denali Park, Talkeetna, Anchorage and Seward. We also now offer service between Anchorage and Whittier on cruise ship days.

You will see some of Alaska's most scenic highways while riding the Alaska Park Connection. The Parks Highway north of Anchorage travels the fertile Matanuska-Susitna valley, up through Denali State Park which offers some of the best views of Mt. McKinley, and across the Alaska Range into Denali National Park. South of Anchorage, the Seward Highway runs alongside the Turnagain Arm, and over two scenic mountain passes down to the picturesque seaside town of Seward. This route well deserves its designation as Alaska's only National Scenic Byway.

YOu could rent a car in Seward, but the one way car rentals are very expensive. I would suggest taking the train from Seward to Anchorage. It leaves at 6:00 p.m. It is the most scenic stretch of the Alaska Railroad in the interior of Alaska. You will arrive in Anchorage about 10:00 p.m. The following morning I would rent a car in Anchorage. If you are planning a trip for 2010, look to book at about 11 months out. Get a cancellable reservation and then watch for possible price declines. Typically the prices just keep going up. The last few years, Enterprise has had great deals at the 11 month out mark.

Seward to Anchorage needs 3 hours on the road. Anchorage/Denali park, needs 6 hours with stops. AND then 2 nights at Denali Park. How much time do you have?? I never recommend Seward/Denali Park in a single day. There is so much to see and do along the way, with all the hours needed for the transit, you aren't going to be able to do as much.

There are the car rentals, buses, trains. If looking at train on both segments, I then recommend an added day for Denali Park. Having a car does allow you far more freedom, and a much wider range of lodging and meal options.

Thanks so much for the info.

Our schedule is arrive in Seward on Friday, 8-21-09. Stay in Seward Friday night. Leave Saturday evening on 6pm train to Anc.

Insert Denali. This is the gap I need help with. What to do after getting to Anc at 10pm-ish. Hotel? Or can you get to Denali w/o your own car?

Depart ANC on Monday @ 8:30pm.

Thanks so much for the info.

Our schedule is arrive in Seward on Friday, 8-21-09. Stay in Seward Friday night. Leave Saturday evening on 6pm train to Anc.

Insert Denali. This is the gap I need help with. What to do after getting to Anc at 10pm-ish. Hotel? Or can you get to Denali w/o your own car?

Depart ANC on Monday @ 8:30pm.

You don't have time for Denali Park with your current plans. The whole idea with Denali Park is to get INTO the Park. You aren't going to be able to do that, with having to be back in Anchorage by 6:30 pm on Monday.

My only suggestion is for you to get to Anchorage via train on Friday, Not Saturday, and yes you would be staying in Anchorage. Yes you need a rental car, pick one up early the next morning, then head to Denali Park, staying near Denali Park Saturday and Sunday. With getting a shuttle bus INTO the park- reserve ahead to at least Eielson. In your timeframe, Wonder Lake is also a great option, due to bugs being gone. Do your homework on the park. http://www.nps.gov/dena An alternative is the second night in Talkeetna, if you only do the shuttle bus to Eielson. Fightseeing Monday. Sightseeing drive on the way back.

Archived