Scuba Diving in Cancun

Akosarz

Hello Everyone,

My girlfriend and I are going on our very FIRST cruise this July. It is a 5 night leaving from Mobile and making stops in Cancun and Playa Del Carmen. One of the things that I think we MUST do there is scuba dive. Neither one of us are certified divers and I have only dove once before in Aruba a few years back. What are our options in either Cancun or Playa Del Carmen? I have done a bit of research and found that we could do the Discover Scuba trip, which is cool, but I think it might not be what Im looking for since it is so short and all. Ive seen that it takes about 4 hours or so and basically trains you on the basic functions of the equipment, etc. (I know I will have to learn these things before I dive). In the Discover Scuba, you only get to dive to 25 feet on however much one tank of air lasts. Will this be good enough?? I was really looking for a beginning dive where we could learn the basics and then do a longer dive (2 tank) in deeper water (40 feet). Isnt 40 feet the maximum allowed for non-certified divers?

Basically, is there a place where I could dive deeper and longer with no certification?

Sorry for all of the questions, Im just new to this. Thank you in advance for your patience and answers!!:D

You have time to get certified at your local dive shop. It is fairly inexpensive and you can get certified in 1 to 2 weeks.

Then you can dive for real on your cruise.

Without getting certified, you can't do what you have in mind. Discover SCUBA is as good as it will get. It is a good introduction to SCUBA diving though.

Okay...I have to start off with...FIRST OFF...I'm NO Scuba Diver!!! But, nonetheless...I don't THINK what you are proposing...is a very good idea!!! Diving...is not for rookies! AND your ship goes to Cancun?!?! Really?!?! I've never seen that.

Hello Everyone,

My girlfriend and I are going on our very FIRST cruise this July. It is a 5 night leaving from Mobile and making stops in Cancun and Playa Del Carmen. One of the things that I think we MUST do there is scuba dive. Neither one of us are certified divers and I have only dove once before in Aruba a few years back. What are our options in either Cancun or Playa Del Carmen? I have done a bit of research and found that we could do the Discover Scuba trip, which is cool, but I think it might not be what Im looking for since it is so short and all. Ive seen that it takes about 4 hours or so and basically trains you on the basic functions of the equipment, etc. (I know I will have to learn these things before I dive). In the Discover Scuba, you only get to dive to 25 feet on however much one tank of air lasts. Will this be good enough?? I was really looking for a beginning dive where we could learn the basics and then do a longer dive (2 tank) in deeper water (40 feet). Isnt 40 feet the maximum allowed for non-certified divers?

Basically, is there a place where I could dive deeper and longer with no certification?

Sorry for all of the questions, Im just new to this. Thank you in advance for your patience and answers!!:D

As a certified diver let me say that ALL you can do diving wise is a Discover Scuba program. No reputable operator will let you do anything else.

In addition as much as this is going to sound terrible, you are crazy to think about going below 25 feet without COMPLETE certification, it is your life that you are playing with, plus anyone who dives with you. There is a reason that you have to be certified to dive.

I see. The reason I asked is because when my parents and I dove a few years back, it was just us and the instructor and he prepped us on everything and then took us to 40 or so feet. I thought this was kind of standard but I understand.

Archived