Questions about balcony guarantee/category BG or BF

BellsRUs

Hi everyone -

We usually book a BB category balcony cabin on the Princess ships, preferably an aft cabin, or one on the Caribe deck. We are considering booking a balcony guarantee on the Emerald.

So, my questions...

Worst case is that we would end up in a category BG, right?

The categories BG and BF on the Emerald are the forward-most cabins on the Baja deck. Why are these considered less desirable than other balcony cabins on that deck? Are the rooms smaller? Balcony smaller? Hallway busier?

Noisier for some reason?

We've been in cabins far forward before, and the motion doesn't bother us, so should we go for the balcony guarantee?

Thanks for any advice...

Patti

I have always been told that it is all about location. So if you are okay with the very front (my DH would not be, which is why I would never do that guarantee) then by all means, go for it. :D

I have heard "upgrade" horror stories. Like people who are "upgraded" from a cabin with the ability to convert to a queen bed, to a quad-share cabin with fixed bunks which can't convert.

I would choose the cabin you actually want if you would like certainty in your accomodation.

Hi everyone -

We usually book a BB category balcony cabin on the Princess ships, preferably an aft cabin, or one on the Caribe deck. We are considering booking a balcony guarantee on the Emerald.

So, my questions...

Worst case is that we would end up in a category BG, right?

The categories BG and BF on the Emerald are the forward-most cabins on the Baja deck. Why are these considered less desirable than other balcony cabins on that deck? Are the rooms smaller? Balcony smaller? Hallway busier?

Noisier for some reason?

We've been in cabins far forward before, and the motion doesn't bother us, so should we go for the balcony guarantee?

Thanks for any advice...

Patti

For me it would depend on the price difference.

Thanks, everyone. I tried to look at some photos of the outside of the ship to see if I could figure out why these cabins might not be as desirable. I think they are on the same deck as the bridge, which would mean the people on the bridge would be looking at our balcony and we would be looking at the people on the bridge. It would also mean that our view to the front of the ship is blocked by the bridge.

It's difficult to tell from the photos I've seen, but I'm also wondering if the fronts of these balconies are solid, instead of see-through.

We decided we don't care enough about any of these things and we will take our chances on maybe getting an upgrade. If we don't get an upgrade we'll still have a balcony to sit out on, so we'll be happy. :D

Thanks, everyone. I tried to look at some photos of the outside of the ship to see if I could figure out why these cabins might not be as desirable. I think they are on the same deck as the bridge, which would mean the people on the bridge would be looking at our balcony and we would be looking at the people on the bridge. It would also mean that our view to the front of the ship is blocked by the bridge.

It's difficult to tell from the photos I've seen, but I'm also wondering if the fronts of these balconies are solid, instead of see-through.

We decided we don't care enough about any of these things and we will take our chances on maybe getting an upgrade. If we don't get an upgrade we'll still have a balcony to sit out on, so we'll be happy. :D

The front of the BE/BF are Plexiglas, the Officer staterooms are between you and the Bridge & I think you will Be pleased with the View. I would Have no problem with these rooms.

do see my warning about the 6 BC category midships cabins on the Grand

B429/431/433

B428/430/432

http://www.photobucket.com/phillipahain

These are marked on deck plans etc as convertible to a Queen

They definitely are not

I bet there are other Quad cabins like this on every ship and i think Princess dumps Guarantee passengers in them

I have heard "upgrade" horror stories. Like people who are "upgraded" from a cabin with the ability to convert to a queen bed, to a quad-share cabin with fixed bunks which can't convert.

I would choose the cabin you actually want if you would like certainty in your accomodation.

I think that may be a myth. Even the quad cabins have two single beds that combine into a double. It is just that is there are 4 in the room, then the bunks are being used and the steward likes to keep the lower beds separate so that he can manoevre around easier.

I think that may be a myth. Even the quad cabins have two single beds that combine into a double. It is just that is there are 4 in the room, then the bunks are being used and the steward likes to keep the lower beds separate so that he can manoevre around easier.

Actually, it's not a myth. There are some staterooms (reported on here just recently) on the Grand Class ships (balcony staterooms if I remember correctly) that can only be set in the twin configuration because the hallway is not on the side of the room, but more of an archway right in the middle with a twin fitting on each side of the Entryway. If you do a search, someone even posted pictures of these staterooms. If the beds are pushed together, you have to actually climb over them to get into the room. ;)

TOTO and Billet

Theres no myth

We only got off the Grand last week having endured one of these lousy cabins

as per my posting in this thread just 2 lines back

http://www.photobucket.com/phillipahain

is a very true picture of the TOTALLY non convertible cabins that are not correctly marked on any deck plan of princess

Stayed in the very front cabin on the Ruby in March. It was fine except I felt that people on the bridge were always looking down on me. Also I did not sleelp as well with the motion. The ceilings were creeking a lot with the motion. If its all you can afford, then go for it. It was still better than a inside or a window!!!

TOTO and Billet

Theres no myth

www.photobucket.com/phillipahain

is a very true picture of the TOTALLY non convertible cabins that are not correctly marked on any deck plan of princess

Yes, Phillip, you are the one I was referring to that posted those pictures and stayed in that stateroom. No Myth at all, it was nice of you to report these non-convertible staterooms. ;)

TOTO and Billet

Theres no myth

www.photobucket.com/phillipahain

That would be terrible. They wouldn't move you to another cabin?

Archived