Capri Itinerary

We are coming off the Gem from Naples and plan to hydrofoil to Capri. The port hours are 8-7.

Please give me a good understanding of how much time we will really have to see Capri, and what we can accomplish. Anyone with a suggested Itinerary? I want to do a boat trip to the Grotto, and would like to have lunch with lemoncello and a waterview...other than that open for suggestions for an easy day.

Ok, lets go over your day in detail. Assume you get off the ship early and walk directly to the ferry pier (about a 10 min stroll from the ship). The hydrofoil or jetboat trip is 50 min to Capri so you will be on Capri by 9:30 - 10. At that point, you want to make sure you buy your return ticket for one of the afternoon boats. Make sure your return boat goes specifically to Molo Beverelo which is the pier near the ships. There is another ferry pier (Mergellina) which is more than a mile from the ships...and you do not want to return to that place. You can than take a boat trip to the Blue Grotto since these boats all leave from the same pier area that you arrive (Marina Grande). They have plenty of signs and several different tour options (some also circle the island). When you return to Marina Grande you should take the funiuclar up to Capri Town. Personally, we think the best site on the island is the chair lift that goes from Anacapri to the top of the mountain, but you need to allow at least 1 1/2 hours to do this from Capri. You first take the bus from Capri Town up to Anacapri where you get the chair lift. As to lunch, there are many cafes and every place in Italy has Lemoncello. For a quiet lunch you might want to find a place in Anacapri...and if you like the crowds you can eat in Capri. Remember to head down to Marina Grande about an hour (or more) before your return boat since there are often many other cruise passengers also heading down for the same boat and the funicular has a limited capacity.

Hank

Hank...Thank you very much!

We are thinking of trying to stop in at Da Michelle for a some pizza on the way back to the boat...would the other ferry pier, Mergellina, be closer for a taxi? Do you have any suggestions on how to get there the fastest and easiest way?

Hank --

I wanted to follow up with some questions about Capri based on some previous answers you gave me, if you wouldn't mind.

If I take an 11ish hydrofoil (do you have any idea how much it costs) from Sorrento to Capri, and I plan to take a 3:30 hydrofoil (any idea how much this costs) from Capri back to Naples to catch the ship... would the time I have in Capri be enough to get me up the funicular then over to Anacapri to take the chairlift to the top of the mountain?

How do I get from Capri Town to Anacapri? I think it's busses, right? Is the bus stop easy to find? Do buses run often?

Thanks in advance!

Hank --

I wanted to follow up with some questions about Capri based on some previous answers you gave me, if you wouldn't mind.

If I take an 11ish hydrofoil (do you have any idea how much it costs) from Sorrento to Capri, and I plan to take a 3:30 hydrofoil (any idea how much this costs) from Capri back to Naples to catch the ship... would the time I have in Capri be enough to get me up the funicular then over to Anacapri to take the chairlift to the top of the mountain?

How do I get from Capri Town to Anacapri? I think it's busses, right? Is the bus stop easy to find? Do buses run often?

Thanks in advance!

I am going to take some very educated guesses about the prices, but I should be very close (within a couple of Euros). From Sorrento to Capri is probably about 8 - 10 Euros. From Capri back to Naples (you want to go to Molo Beverelo) is about 17 Euros (one way). If you take a hydrofoil/jetboat from Sorrento to Capri at 11, you would be on Capri before 11:30 and should be up the funicular into Capri Town by Noon (I am allowing a few minutes for you to purchase your return ticket to Capri before you leave Marina Grande). This would give you about 2 1/2 hours since you need to be thinking about the funicular back down to the Marina by 2:30. The problem is that if there are a few cruise ships in Naples (this is the norm) many will be taking that same hydrofoil/jetboat back to Naples and there will be a long queue at the upper funicular station. I would be hesitant to recommend going to Anacapri and than up the chair lift in this situation, but it would be possible if you did it as soon as you arrived on Capri. You get to Anacapri by taking the local bus from Capri (just ask anyone to point you towards the bus station) or you could take a taxi (more money). I believe the buses run about every 15 -20 min in the busy season. But, going to Anacapri and taking the chair lift will take at least 1 1/2 hours (30 min round trip to Anacapri from Capri, 40 min for the chair lift and a few minutes to enjoy the view at the top).

Hope this helps. Armed with information you always have the flexibilty that is enhanced by common sense. There is no reason to make your final decision on Anacapri until you get up the funicular,,,at which point you will have a good idea about what feels good at the time. Your trade-off dong the chair lift would be that it will leave minimum time to walk around Capri Town...

Hank

Hank - you are amazing. This is just the information I was looking for you.

Thank you so much. My experience at my port stop in Naples will be so much better now that I have all this wonderful information you've given me.

STLPilot, just wondering uf you ever put together that day by day itienarary(sp) of the Med. In one of the other forums you were going to post but haven't found it. We are on the Ruby Princess 8-08-09 Rome to Venice and will be stopping at a lot of the same ports you did. Don't want to pay the ridiculous ship prices for shore excursions but still want to see all the sights and maybe a couple of winery tours. Any information would be helpful.

Archived