Price Adjustments After Final Payment

yotefan37

My mother, who sails HAL quite a bit, had told me that once final payment was made, HAL would not drop or refund any portion of the fare.

Just yesterday, my TA said if the price drops after my final payment is made, she can call them and they will refund the fare difference.

Which is correct? We're about to pay our final payment early, but don't want to miss out on any opportunities to reduce our fare.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

I just made my final payment for our cruise in Sept. and I asked my TA if the price went down what happens. He said I would get OBC. Wish I could get the refund but don't think that will happen, it's not the way it works as I am told.:(

Thanks for the info, Pokeynose!

I was afraid that that would be the answer - it causes me to question my TA's judgement a little bit. We've never used her before, so I was pretty skeptical when she told me that. :(

Because of this, do you usually wait until right before the final payment is due to pay in full? I imagine the difference would never amount to what we would spend on board, but you never know...

Alas, once the booking is in the hands of a travel agent, HAL will usually not communicate with you when questions arise. I called with a simple request for the cost of a transfer ship to airport and was told to call my agent. However to get back to your question, my booking was made and left with HAL till final payment. The day I was planning to make final, I called HAL to check on the fare. It so happened this had dropped about $1,000.00 and they made the adjustment. After the new fare was on record, I transferred the booking to my travel agent. This may not help you with your present booking, but should be kept in mind for future.

I just made my final payment for our cruise in Sept. and I asked my TA if the price went down what happens. He said I would get OBC. Wish I could get the refund but don't think that will happen, it's not the way it works as I am told.:(

I believe this is handled on a case by case basis ... no guarantees that anyone/everyone definitely will get OBC if the price drops after final payment date. Further, those low sale prices at that point generally are for new bookings only, as HAL is trying to fill the ship.

Thanks for the great information. We wouldn't be so upset if we couldn't get a better price (after all, we agreed to the price we're paying, and we're pretty happy with it).

What really bothers me is our TA's assurances that she could get a refund for us, when it sounds like this would be doubtful - or impossible. Either she didn't do her homework, or she isn't being honest. Not good. :mad:

Thanks for the great information. We wouldn't be so upset if we couldn't get a better price (after all, we agreed to the price we're paying, and we're pretty happy with it).

What really bothers me is our TA's assurances that she could get a refund for us, when it sounds like this would be doubtful - or impossible. Either she didn't do her homework, or she isn't being honest. Not good. :mad:

If the price goes down and HAL doesn't budge on the price ... perhaps your T/A will be happy to gift you, from her commission, an OBC equal to the reduction in price. I suggest this in jest ... but since she has given you whatever assurance, I would press her on it if the price drops.

It's possible your TA is confusing HAL's policy with X's policy on price adjustments after final payment.

This would still indicate a lack of knowledge on the part of the TA.:o

They are paid after the ship has sailed.

In the case of individual bookings, if you pay final payment by check the TA deducts commission and sends the net amount along to the cruise line.

If you pay by credit card, the cruise line will take the credit card and remit the commission back to the agent electronically ... generally BEFORE the ship sails.

In the case of group bookings, the cruise line will remit the commission to the agency, usually before sailing but sometimes after sailing.

Now, some "at home" agents have deals with their sponsoring agency that THEY (the agent) won't be paid until after the ship sails. But the agency itself generally receives its commission earlier than that.

If a TA has promised you'll be refunded a price reduction, ask them to put it in writing. Betcha they won't ...

If a TA has promised you'll be refunded a price reduction, ask them to put it in writing. Betcha they won't ...

I'll pass on that bet - something tells me you're right! :D

Thanks for all the great info, cruise experts. You confirmed my suspicions. This one just didn't pass the "sniff" test...Oh well, live and learn.

Thanks for the info, Pokeynose!

I was afraid that that would be the answer - it causes me to question my TA's judgement a little bit. We've never used her before, so I was pretty skeptical when she told me that. :(

Because of this, do you usually wait until right before the final payment is due to pay in full? I imagine the difference would never amount to what we would spend on board, but you never know...

It actually depends. If you pay your final payment early you're not penalized for a lower fare coming out, you can get the lower price as long as you are not within penalties. Once you get into those then the cruise line will not allow you to refare your booking.

Also, if the new price you're trying to get is for new bookings only they may not let you have it since you are not a new booking.

So as long as you're 1) outside of penalties and 2) the promotion is not for new bookings only, then they will let you lower the price.

Archived