June 11 CP Out of NY-Any Reviews?

crusingsquid

We just got home yesterday from this cruise and it was great. I'm sorry to hear that you had to cancel. It was rainy the day we left and we did have rain on several days while on the way to and in the islands BUT it never did ruin any of the days on the cruise (as the sun always did wind up coming out!). We had so much fun and had some really great sunny days. I think the nicest day might have been on our last sea day - it was sunny all day and we stayed up on deck until about 4:30pm just to get as much time as we could! I will be writing a full review soon but just haven't had the time and my laptop is running out of power! One other point is that this was one of the smoothest trips in and out of NY that we've ever been on. I think we got very lucky!

Hi- Did anyone sail on this date? We were going to go but had to cancel. Just wondering how the weather was sailing out and into NY...:o

I don't understand,the Sea Princess is in Alaska for the summer!

Hi- Did anyone sail on this date? We were going to go but had to cancel. Just wondering how the weather was sailing out and into NY...:o

I don't understand,the Sea Princess is in Alaska for the summer!

I think they meant CB. To the original poster, the CP is the Sea Princess. The Caribbean Princess is CB. ;)

I was on the CP out of Brooklyn NY on June 11th. My stateroom was on the Lido deck or deck 15. The weather held up for most of the cruise except for St. Thomas. It rained all day.

I had been to all the ports before on other cruises so I didn't even get off the ship in St. Thomas.

The food was typical of the Princess line. Very good and great presentation.

The entertainment was so, so. There was however one magic act that was the best I had ever seen. Really.... It was a man and woman changing into gowns and dresses before your eyes. It was amazing.

The theater that held most of the shows was too small to accomadate all the people, even with 2 shows each day. There simply was not enough seats.

Problems on the ship:

There were 2 major problems that I spotted.

First was people saving seats by the pool. This doesn't go over well with a mostly NY crowd. There were quite a few yelling bouts that I witnessed and the people who put their lotions or towels on the chaise lounges and didn't return within an hour had their stuff removed and put to the side.

I applaud that.

My biggest problem was that somebody got into my cabin safe and stole $200.

I have been on 37 cruises and never had this happen before. I took $2,000 in cash on the trip. Some people would say that's a lot to take, but I would rather buy with cash at the ports than charge.

I had $1,400 in hundred dollar bills tied with a rubber band, and left in the safe as soon as we boarded about 1PM.

I went to the buffet for lunch and then back to the cabin where I was greeted by my cabin steward who said to me he "took the liberty" to put my luggage in the room.

It's now about 5 PM and I'm changing for dinner and opened the safe to put my cell phone in it. I counted the money and to my surprise only had $1,300.

I told my wife and the other couples that traveled with us. They all said maybe I miscounted, or something to make me feel better. I work with money all day. I never miscount or make errors with cash, but I wasn't going to allow this to ruin my vacation. I counted the money as I spent it and kept tabs on the amounts.

On Friday night before dinner I had $1,200 in $100 bills in the safe. I marked the bills.

After dinner we began packing. We were walkoffs at the dock so I didn't need to pack and leave the luggage outside. I went to the safe, counted the money and to my surprise only $1,100.

Another $100 bill was taken. I called security. They came to my room and took a report. I filled out a loss form that was signed by the pursers office. Now I have to call Miami and fight to get my money back.

They checked the lock and the only people to enter my room was my wife and I and the cabin steward.

When we arrived in NY I wanted NYPD or PA police. I was told that the cruise line would handle the investigation and that the steward would be questioned as well as searched. I do not know the outcome to this.

In the future I will only bring travelers checks.

I'm still trying to figure out how he got the pin number. It's a 4 digit number and he had plenty of time when we were out on excursions or at port.

I foolishly did not change the pin after I suspected the first loss.

I have never has this happen. I travel to Vegas, Atlantic City, really everywhere, and I always use the room safe and never questeded it's safety until now.

I don't want any lectures on "why did I bring so much in cash." Like I stated, I had my personal reasons.

If however anybody has any constructive answers to get results from the cruise line, I would be thankful.

Thanks,

Al

I was on the CP out of Brooklyn NY on June 11th. My stateroom was on the Lido deck or deck 15. The weather held up for most of the cruise except for St. Thomas. It rained all day.

I had been to all the ports before on other cruises so I didn't even get off the ship in St. Thomas.

The food was typical of the Princess line. Very good and great presentation.

The entertainment was so, so. There was however one magic act that was the best I had ever seen. Really.... It was a man and woman changing into gowns and dresses before your eyes. It was amazing.

The theater that held most of the shows was too small to accomadate all the people, even with 2 shows each day. There simply was not enough seats.

Problems on the ship:

There were 2 major problems that I spotted.

First was people saving seats by the pool. This doesn't go over well with a mostly NY crowd. There were quite a few yelling bouts that I witnessed and the people who put their lotions or towels on the chaise lounges and didn't return within an hour had their stuff removed and put to the side.

I applaud that.

My biggest problem was that somebody got into my cabin safe and stole $200.

I have been on 37 cruises and never had this happen before. I took $2,000 in cash on the trip. Some people would say that's a lot to take, but I would rather buy with cash at the ports than charge.

I had $1,400 in hundred dollar bills tied with a rubber band, and left in the safe as soon as we boarded about 1PM.

I went to the buffet for lunch and then back to the cabin where I was greeted by my cabin steward who said to me he "took the liberty" to put my luggage in the room.

It's now about 5 PM and I'm changing for dinner and opened the safe to put my cell phone in it. I counted the money and to my surprise only had $1,300.

I told my wife and the other couples that traveled with us. They all said maybe I miscounted, or something to make me feel better. I work with money all day. I never miscount or make errors with cash, but I wasn't going to allow this to ruin my vacation. I counted the money as I spent it and kept tabs on the amounts.

On Friday night before dinner I had $1,200 in $100 bills in the safe. I marked the bills.

After dinner we began packing. We were walkoffs at the dock so I didn't need to pack and leave the luggage outside. I went to the safe, counted the money and to my surprise only $1,100.

Another $100 bill was taken. I called security. They came to my room and took a report. I filled out a loss form that was signed by the pursers office. Now I have to call Miami and fight to get my money back.

They checked the lock and the only people to enter my room was my wife and I and the cabin steward.

When we arrived in NY I wanted NYPD or PA police. I was told that the cruise line would handle the investigation and that the steward would be questioned as well as searched. I do not know the outcome to this.

In the future I will only bring travelers checks.

I'm still trying to figure out how he got the pin number. It's a 4 digit number and he had plenty of time when we were out on excursions or at port.

I foolishly did not change the pin after I suspected the first loss.

I have never has this happen. I travel to Vegas, Atlantic City, really everywhere, and I always use the room safe and never questeded it's safety until now.

I don't want any lectures on "why did I bring so much in cash." Like I stated, I had my personal reasons.

If however anybody has any constructive answers to get results from the cruise line, I would be thankful.

Thanks,

Al

We were on the sailing before you. Sorry to hear about the money and the previous poster about the weather. Other than the final night we had wonderful weather for the whole cruise.

We also took cash and, like you, locked it in our safe (thinking it was "safe"). We did not experience any of this and felt completely secure the whole trip.

I am sorry I have no suggestions on how to proceed but I do feel for you. I know that doesn't help.

Good luck with all this. You wait and save all year for a vacation, you don't need this. What a waist of a vacation.

Sorry to hear about the loss,

We've been an about 20 or so cruises on all different lines,last year on NCL Dream I did the same as you-put away the cash.

Now all of the safes We've known have the same proceedure:

1:you find open door

2:put goodies inside

3:close door

4:input your 4 digit code

5:press the lock button & wait for the whine of the lock engaging.

after I do this I always see if i can open it.

On the Dream last year after I opened & closed the safe for at least 2 days w/o probems,I went to open it and it was not opening.Called the problem in to the front desk.

An officer showed up with another as witness,put in an override code and open sesame.

I said thank you very much and found all was intact.

I believe these safes are battery operated and if not properly maintained can malfunction,I also do not know if the safes default to open or lock in the event of battery failure.I have seen a master physical keyhole on some of these safes which leads me to believe that those are defaulted to lock. I hope you recover you loss and more people read these posts and share their info on the subject-Good Luck

I believe these safes are battery operated and if not properly maintained can malfunction,

This reminded me of our traveling companions. During the cruise the battery on their safe malfunctioned and would not lock. One call to the desk and up someone came and presto! it was fixed. Other than that, NOT a single problem!

BTW: to the OP... What cabin were you in?

Sorry to hear about the loss,

We've been an about 20 or so cruises on all different lines,last year on NCL Dream I did the same as you-put away the cash.

Now all of the safes We've known have the same proceedure:

1:you find open door

2:put goodies inside

3:close door

4:input your 4 digit code

5:press the lock button & wait for the whine of the lock engaging.

after I do this I always see if i can open it.

On the Dream last year after I opened & closed the safe for at least 2 days w/o probems,I went to open it and it was not opening.Called the problem in to the front desk.

An officer showed up with another as witness,put in an override code and open sesame.

I said thank you very much and found all was intact.

I believe these safes are battery operated and if not properly maintained can malfunction,I also do not know if the safes default to open or lock in the event of battery failure.I have seen a master physical keyhole on some of these safes which leads me to believe that those are defaulted to lock. I hope you recover you loss and more people read these posts and share their info on the subject-Good Luck

I figured it out.....

After thinking about it, it's not that hard.

Here's what I think he did.

Fact=Most people use a birthday as a code...

four digits most starting with 0.

Example Jan 1st to Jan 31st= 0101 to 0131. That's all the codes for Jan

0201-0228 for feb

and so on and so forth

Answer is that even though there are 10,000 numbers in a four digit code, only 365 are really ever used.

How long would it take him to figure out the code?

Less than 1 hour......

WELCOME HOME!

While you were gone it did rain quite a bit.

Where you reside they had more than up here too.

The low number of inches in of rain for the year looks as if now it is gone.

Glad you had a great ship trip! Seeing your positive spin is great as so many show and portend the other side even before they are on.

We just got home yesterday from this cruise and it was great. I'm sorry to hear that you had to cancel. It was rainy the day we left and we did have rain on several days while on the way to and in the islands BUT it never did ruin any of the days on the cruise (as the sun always did wind up coming out!). We had so much fun and had some really great sunny days. I think the nicest day might have been on our last sea day - it was sunny all day and we stayed up on deck until about 4:30pm just to get as much time as we could! I will be writing a full review soon but just haven't had the time and my laptop is running out of power! One other point is that this was one of the smoothest trips in and out of NY that we've ever been on. I think we got very lucky!

I have been on ships for quite a while now.

One major benefit if some parties choose to carry cash and/or other valuables not easily insured...

is:

Ask/Use the Pursers Desk they have Lock Boxes similar to Safety Deposit Boxes at most Land Banks.

Travelers Checks are a wise method too. On those also keep Xerox copies of them in a couple of places so if say a bag is Lost/Misplaces you do have another copy available..:cool:

I figured it out.....

After thinking about it, it's not that hard.

Here's what I think he did.

Fact=Most people use a birthday as a code...

four digits most starting with 0.

Example Jan 1st to Jan 31st= 0101 to 0131. That's all the codes for Jan

0201-0228 for feb

and so on and so forth

Answer is that even though there are 10,000 numbers in a four digit code, only 365 are really ever used.

How long would it take him to figure out the code?

Less than 1 hour......

Not that it wouldnt happen but I smell a TROLL.....your info is just to strange for me.....Its a cruise ship not the Bronx!!!!! why would u give us all the codes for January anyway??? or should I call it "your codes"....

Hi, we were on this sailing, just got back yesterday. It was awesome! The ship looked fantastic, the changes were great...especially the International Cafe...used it for lunch every day I think. The crew outstanding!

Yes the weather was crappy when we left and we had intermittant rain or clouds throughout the cruise but the sun always came out. The day in St. Thomas was rainy but we went to St. John and only had a light shower there. Cruiser7772 is right, I think the last sea day was the best! We had rented the Sanctuary for the entire week and it was so nice up there on Friday with the breeze.

I'll try to get together a more thorough review this week...right now it's back to reality and taking care of business and oh yeah...laundry. ;)

Hi, we were on this sailing, just got back yesterday. It was awesome! The ship looked fantastic, the changes were great...especially the International Cafe...used it for lunch every day I think. The crew outstanding!

Yes the weather was crappy when we left and we had intermittant rain or clouds throughout the cruise but the sun always came out. The day in St. Thomas was rainy but we went to St. John and only had a light shower there. Cruiser7772 is right, I think the last sea day was the best! We had rented the Sanctuary for the entire week and it was so nice up there on Friday with the breeze.

I'll try to get together a more thorough review this week...right now it's back to reality and taking care of business and oh yeah...laundry. ;)

Just a quick question... do you know if the Internet Cafe was giving out free minutes if you signed up on embarkation day?

keylimepie,

Maam WELCOME HOME!

Did you go to Water island next to your pier in Sub Base , USVI too?

At least you had a great ship and crew too.

Do you remember the Captains, HotMan, CD , Executive Chef and Maiter'd Names?

After claiming he or she was on a deck in a room that wasnt there leads me to believe he or she is a troll................

What are you talking about. I just checked my camcorder.

I was in L-208.It's on the Lido deck, or Deck #15.

Archived