Room Attendants - Do you tip extra?

Planmaam

We usually start out with an extra $20- I ask for a few things extra. If they keep the ice bucket full of ice, make an effort with towel animals, keep the bathroom immaculate; I will tip extra for a job well done. I have had a few that had issues in communication- and on a couple of cruises, we really had in depth conversations with the cabin stewards. They work INCREDIBLY hard, LONG hours, and are away from their families for many months at a time. I just wish they would use a vaccum daily. Sometimes we have sandy feet and the sand appears back in the cabin, after an excursion.

l have been reading through these boards about tipping because we leave for our first cruise in 10 years in under a week!!:)

All this extra tipping has me a bit confused. I went to the bank and took out 50 ones. I figured on tipping a few dollars a day (per person) for the room stewards, and a few dollars for those helping with any direct requests or luggage, etc. Then I thought if I got an especially fun cocktail maybe a few dollars there.

But now that I think about it I realize that with an 18% autogratuity added to all food and beverage that...hmmm if I have a 10 dollar drink then auto gratuity is $1.80, so if I leave a few dollars...I have in essence left a 40% tip...that has to be some service and some drink!!

I never thought about it at the restaurants for meals. Again with an 18% gratuity being added on...

Okay, so I sound cheap and I am a notorious over tipper. I generally tend to tip at least 20% and go up for better service (in my family we have all worked service at one point or another). But over 25% is reserved for that WOW!! and over 30% practically never happens.

So that said, its my daughter, husband and myself. We are booking about 3 speciality restaurants and two paid shows. So how much tip money to bring? Do people leave a few dollars at each meal, next to the plate and am I going to feel awful if I don't?:eek:

l have been reading through these boards about tipping because we leave for our first cruise in 10 years in under a week!!:)

All this extra tipping has me a bit confused. I went to the bank and took out 50 ones. I figured on tipping a few dollars a day (per person) for the room stewards, and a few dollars for those helping with any direct requests or luggage, etc. Then I thought if I got an especially fun cocktail maybe a few dollars there.

But now that I think about it I realize that with an 18% autogratuity added to all food and beverage that...hmmm if I have a 10 dollar drink then auto gratuity is $1.80, so if I leave a few dollars...I have in essence left a 40% tip...that has to be some service and some drink!!

I never thought about it at the restaurants for meals. Again with an 18% gratuity being added on...

Okay, so I sound cheap and I am a notorious over tipper. I generally tend to tip at least 20% and go up for better service (in my family we have all worked service at one point or another). But over 25% is reserved for that WOW!! and over 30% practically never happens.

So that said, its my daughter, husband and myself. We are booking about 3 speciality restaurants and two paid shows. So how much tip money to bring? Do people leave a few dollars at each meal, next to the plate and am I going to feel awful if I don't?:eek:

I leave the dsc in place. Maybe people leave money on the dinner table but we have never done that. We usually order a bottle of wine with dinner and since the waiter/waitress brings it, we tip him/her maybe $5 on the charge slip. We tip the cabin steward $60-$100 extra depending on the service. Once we left no extra tip because the cabin service was unacceptable. On our last night if there has been a particularly friendly bar server we go to that bar and tip $20. You don't need to tip anything extra above the dsc and you shouldn't feel bad at all if you leave it at that. Don't stress over it. Have a great cruise!

I won't give you advice on tipping over and above since I really feel that is personal choice.

However I will correct a few things in your post #1 there are no extra tips on specialty restaurants, #2 I think the auto tips on alcohol is 15%, but the spa is 18%.

I won't give you advice on tipping over and above since I really feel that is personal choice.

However I will correct a few things in your post #1 there are no extra tips on specialty restaurants, #2 I think the auto tips on alcohol is 15%, but the spa is 18%.

Sorry I meant no auto tips

Thanks to all. I am very confused about the whole thing and I like to plan so I know how much cash to bring. I see it is entirely personal...I just started adding up the $$$ and thought...hmm do I need to bring hundreds of dollars for tipping? When I booked with NCL, I liked the idea of the per person fee and thought it eliminated the tipping but it seems like it is in addition to the tipping. Oh well, either way I will have a wonderful time and I imagine that I will simply tip for service above and beyond (except in my room...my daughter is a slob!! They will earn it for sure with her!!).:D

We were in a Suite on the Jewel and put aside $40 per day ($20 per person) to divide between our Butler & Concierge.

We had one Steward that we gave $125 at the end of the cruise. During the 10 days we also left him $5 for different requests a few times.

Although the Steward was included in the $12 per person/per day Service Charge, neither the Butler or Concierge were.

Our Steward was exceptional and deserved the extra we gave him.

Tipping is personal and you should tip what you are comfortable with.

We usually give them something the first day and then more at the end if they were outstanding. Last cruise we gave the room attendant $20 the first day of the cruise and then another $20 at the end since he was wonderful and did more then what we asked him to do.

Judi

Hi Judi,

That is just what we do. I write a nice note on the first day and give it to the steward. It is more personal that way. Whenever I have needed anything I leave a post it note to ask for my request and sure enough it would be there when I return. On the last evening I also give another thank you note and always get a smile and sometimes a nice hug for "Miss Ann" and "Mr. Bernie".

We are on the Dawn for the first time in Aug. with our kids and family.

Ann and Bernie

It is NOT in addition to.

The DSC covers all of the services which are provided to ALL passengers.

If you consume a service in addition which is specific to you (a drink, a massage, a butler, a kid's club....then tipping is appreciated.)

Our first cruise on the Sky was wondaerful, service was great and room attendants were, well just special. Needless to say we left a good tip in our room at the end of the cruise. Last Dec. we were on the Dawn and the room service left much to be desired! 1st day we had to ask for soap - the dispenser was empty - we had to call customer service - they brought a small bar of soap. The 2nd day they took the dirty facecloths and never replaced them. Had to again call customer service. When we asked for ice - they got very perturbed!We did leave a tip, but believe me it was not anywhere near the Sky tip. I felt a lot of the crew were not as friendly as the crew on the Sky..... I did learn some were near the end of their contract ... but shouldn't good customer service start on day one and end on the last day???? Perhaps on the next cruise we will really think about the extra tip - if they don't deserve it they won't get one...

OK' date=' so here's a new question. Do you leave a tip for your room attendant(s) at the end of the cruise, and if so how much? I did not on our first cruise, as I was new to the process, and frankly never saw them. Nor was the service special. But on our last cruise, we did leave $40.00 for each of them (there were two). They did a great job, and I felt deserved something extra.

But that was a couple years ago, and I was wondering what the norm is now. So let's hear what you do/will do, whether the service is poor, ordinary, or special.

Thanks,[/quote']

Without wading through the other posts, it sounds like you have the right attitude. This is a personal decision. We feel that if there was nothing special about the attendant (and we have only had a couple of those), then the daily rate we pay is adequate. If they are special they get extra. They actually become friends you met on the cruise and you can learn about their country and their families.

there are some attendants that realize that if they give extra personal attention they will undoubtedly and deservedly get an additional tip.. on our last cruise on the Allure our steward was amazing.. never forgot our names after the first introduction.. I don't think I ever opened the door for myself.. if he saw me coming down the hall with packages he came and carried them.always a smile . just a lot of little niceties that to me were above and beyond his regular cleaning the cabin duties.. so of course he received an additional tip and I was glad to give it

there are some attendants that realize that if they give extra personal attention they will undoubtedly and deservedly get an additional tip.. on our last cruise on the Allure our steward was amazing.. never forgot our names after the first introduction.. I don't think I ever opened the door for myself.. if he saw me coming down the hall with packages he came and carried them.always a smile . just a lot of little niceties that to me were above and beyond his regular cleaning the cabin duties.. so of course he received an additional tip and I was glad to give it

I had a steward that opened our cabin door for us all the time like that once.... :)

It's those little details like remembering your name and opening your door when they see you approaching your cabin that make a cruise spectacular as opposed to just great.

:)

Thanks to all. I am very confused about the whole thing and I like to plan so I know how much cash to bring. I see it is entirely personal...I just started adding up the $$$ and thought...hmm do I need to bring hundreds of dollars for tipping? When I booked with NCL, I liked the idea of the per person fee and thought it eliminated the tipping but it seems like it is in addition to the tipping. Oh well, either way I will have a wonderful time and I imagine that I will simply tip for service above and beyond (except in my room...my daughter is a slob!! They will earn it for sure with her!!).:D

You should not feel obligated to tip at all - that is, anything beyond the Daily Service Charge and the automatic tips that occur on bar tabs and spa services. Anything beyond the DSC is an entirely personal matter up to your discretion based on service that you feel is exceptional and therefore deserving of a tip.

I agree with iheartdba. If you never see your steward and the room is clean and kept orderly, the the steward has done you a great service! We always, always tip the steward extra; minimum of $50.00

Count me in, too. As long as he does a professional job in his assigned duties, I don't care if I ever see the steward. And if he does his job well, I always leave an extra tip.

it is not in addition to the daily service charge ie. tips...... extra tipping is at your discretion.....absolutely not required

Archived