US East coast/island cruises

sjde

Has anyone taken the 5-night New England Island cruise with American Canadian Caribbean Line? (Nantucket/Martha's Vineyard/Block Island). They also have a 7 night Maine itinerary.

Sue

We did one of their cruises in 2006...the ship is basic, you can read my review

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=20471

We did Martha's Vineyard, Newport, Greenport, NY and other ports

The port stops were good for the most part but I think I would spend my money on another cruise line

Andy the chef was the best thing about the cruise

LYN

The price I saw was from $1750 for the 7 night and from $1245 for the 5 night. I thought it might be a good way to see the islands. The Frommer's review said "bare-boned but comfortable. " The other choice--American Cruise Line-- has a 7 night cruise from $2885 per person, quite a bit more. And with Clipper Cruise Line--a 7 night cruise from New York to Halifax and going to Nantucket, Martha's Vineyard, Bar Harbor and Newport from $2140.

The price I saw was from $1750 for the 7 night and from $1245 for the 5 night. I thought it might be a good way to see the islands. The Frommer's review said "bare-boned but comfortable. " The other choice--American Cruise Line-- has a 7 night cruise from $2885 per person, quite a bit more. And with Clipper Cruise Line--a 7 night cruise from New York to Halifax and going to Nantucket, Martha's Vineyard, Bar Harbor and Newport from $2140.

It is definately bare bones;)

Metal cots for beds, no locks on the door, no door on bathroom, small cabin.

If you do book suggest you take a top deck cabin the main deck is too noisy you need ear plugs to sleep unless you are already hard of hearing.

I would pay the extra for ACL but that is just my opinion

I found another one as well. Arabella cruises offers 5 night cruises aboard

the "beautiful 42 passenger sailing yacht Arabella. Rather than the kind of rustic experience offered by many of the New England schooners, this one offers the amenities of a modern luxury craft, though most of the cabins are fairly small." Prices start at $999.

But I have gotten sick on most ocean cruises --wouldn't it be even more likely on this? The whole time?

Sue

• 2 weeks later...

You might be interested in this quote from another thread on Cruise Critic:

Anyone else going on this trip? We just go off the NIAGARA PRINCE on June 13th after their Chicago, IL to New Orleans, LA cruise. It was fantastic!

Can't wait to get back on the ship on August 30th!

Upcoming Cruises:

August/2009 - ACCL NIAGARA PRINCE - HUDSON/CHAMPLAIN REVOLUTIONARY TRAIL - Warren, RI to Burlington, VT (11 days)

January/2010 - HAL msROTTERDAM - roundtrip San Diego to Hawaii, South Pacific & Marquesas (33 days)

April/2010 - ACCL NIAGARA PRINCE - US HISTORIC RIVERS - New Orleans, LA to Knoxville, TN (11 days)

May/2010 - ACCL NIAGARA PRINCE - US HISTORIC RIVERS - Knoxville, TN to Nashville, TN (9 days)

Looks like these people had a great time onboard. The Grande Caribe has just undergone a multi million dollar renovation so the cabin information provided by other posters seems to be out of date.

Enjoy your cruise it seems to be a great value.

Looks like these people had a great time onboard. The Grande Caribe has just undergone a multi million dollar renovation so the cabin information provided by other posters seems to be out of date.

Enjoy your cruise it seems to be a great value.

You must work for ACCL , 90 % of your posts are promoting them.

Archived