incline test

I inadvertently posted this on the Alaska board. Anyone here have the definative answer to an "incline test"?

We got this from our TA

"On June 28, 2009 the ms Veendam will be undergoing a standard incline test. As a result, embarkation will begin at 4:30pm to 8:00pm with the ship sailing at 11:00pm. The itinerary will not be affected by this change.

We encourage guests to delay arrival to the pier until 4:30pm. Due to the inconvenience, we will be extending a shipboard credit of $15 to cover lunch in Vancouver.

Shuttle service will also be provided to take guests to various downtown locations."

Does anyone know what a standard incline test is?

I inadvertently posted this on the Alaska board. Anyone here have the definative answer to an "incline test"?

We got this from our TA

"On June 28, 2009 the ms Veendam will be undergoing a standard incline test. As a result, embarkation will begin at 4:30pm to 8:00pm with the ship sailing at 11:00pm. The itinerary will not be affected by this change.

We encourage guests to delay arrival to the pier until 4:30pm. Due to the inconvenience, we will be extending a shipboard credit of $15 to cover lunch in Vancouver.

Shuttle service will also be provided to take guests to various downtown locations."

Does anyone know what a standard incline test is?

An incline test is performed to determine the total weight of the ship. Due to the extensive work done in drydock on the Veendam, more than 2% of weight was added to the ship and then this test is required. By shifting a known weight from one side of the ship to the other, then measuring the change in list of the ship, you can calculate the exact weight of the ship.

To do this test, there need to be as little people on board as possible, and whoever is on board needs to stay in is cabin (people moving around are also 'shifting weights').

I have heard of this once before -- and to be truthful -- we would be very unhappy of this happened to us knowning that DH has many medications to take during the day.

In Vancouver we would have to be checked out of our Hotel by 11 AM which means we would have to try and hang onto luggage -- find a place to hang put -- Vancouver Place and The Pan Pacific are now undergoing some major changes.

Hope all works out for you.

Please come back with your report.

<I have heard of this once before -- and to be truthful -- we would be very unhappy of this happened to us knowing that DH has many medications to take during the day.> For us, this works out fine. It gives us all day Sunday to enjoy Vancouver. Our rental car doesn't need to be returned until ~5:30 , so we will enjoy Vancouver and return it to Canada Place at checkin time. I am curious how the dinner will work though. I will report back.

Manbehindthecurtain pretty well has it. I've heard of this but haven't seen it done. I had to pull the old Stability and Trim for the Ship's Officer book off the shelf and blow the dust off it to read about it again (20+ years since that class in school!).

The inclination test (or the inclining experiment) is used to determine the position of the center of gravity in a light ship condition so the stability tables can be calculated. Since the Veendam had major work done, her center of gravity needs to be re-determined. (The book also discusses the fact that this has to be done on every ship, you can't use the figures for a sister ship, because there are subtle differences in construction - no two are exactly alike).

The book refers to the fact that all the tanks (fuel, fresh water, ballast) have to be either empty or pressed up (full) and any crew not directly needed for the test should be off the ship (so they don't move around and mess up the test). Those who are onboard need to stay on centerline during the test.

Basically, a large, known weight will be moved from centerline to one side, causing a list. The angle can then be measured and the KG (height of center of gravity) calculated.

I would imagine there will be alot involved - getting the previous passengers and luggage off, filling up the tanks, removing the crew not required (99% of them) temporarily, conduct the test, re-board the crew and finish provisioning and cleaning for the upcoming trip and board the new passengers. Hence the delayed embarkation.

We're going on Veendam two weeks later. If it happened to us, we'd use it as an excuse to tour Vancouver (which right now we won't have time for as currently planned).

The previous post states the explanation rather well. but I do rely on my Naval Architecture training at Fort Schuyler 50+ years ago.

There are two considerations: the Center of Gravity-G- (previously explained nicely) and the Metacentric Height -M- the point about which the ship rotates. If the GM distance between the two is positive, the ship will tend to right itself as it heels. If negative, the ship may capsize. viz. "Poseidon Adventure" The inclining experiment is usually done in the yard. with a crane placing a large weight on either side of the ship, Calibrated inclinometers measure the displacement and after a lot of math the G and M are computed.

I appreciate the info. I was on the phone with Ship Services ordering some stuff and when asked if that was all, I replied that I was curious what the incline test was. She said she was not sure, but thought it had something to do with the gangplank. I politely thanked her and shook my head. I was not sure what it was , but I was fairly sure what it was not.

Meta-centric Height is a critical measurement.

In WW2, when so much extra armament (anti-aircraft) & electronics (radar) was added topside to warships, the meta-centric height had to be recomputed, to make sure the ships were sea-worthy. In some cases, it was rather dicey at best, so a lot of ballast was added to give additional weight low.

Thank you for the info about the incline test. So many interesting things are discussed on the CC boards.

OP, I have used the luggage storage facility at Canada Place. It worked out very nicely for us. Does your husband's medication need refrigeration? If so, bring ziplock baggies to hold ice and a thermal bag which is the size of a lunch bag. You can put the meds in it. This has worked for me. I have 2 different thermal bags and they both have handles. I found one at Target or Walmart and the other one was a thank you gift for teachers at the school where my DH works.

I hope this unfortunate delay works out well for you and you will be able to enjoy more of Vancouver. Is there a movie theater nearby?

But when all the passengers and crew and their luggage comes back on, it must change the center of gravity somewhat. So this extra mass must either be so small that it doesn't matter, or they make some allowance or calculation for it. I would guess that it would be about 300 tons, and (for the guesstimate), they would assume they are all up at the Lido deck binging on the chocolate extravaganza!:D

OP, I have used the luggage storage facility at Canada Place. It worked out very nicely for us. Does your husband's medication need refrigeration? If so, bring ziplock baggies to hold ice and a thermal bag which is the size of a lunch bag. You can put the meds in it. This has worked for me. I have 2 different thermal bags and they both have handles. I found one at Target or Walmart and the other one was a thank you gift for teachers at the school where my DH works.

I hope this unfortunate delay works out well for you and you will be able to enjoy more of Vancouver. Is there a movie theater nearby?

I am the OP and I don't have a med issue. I also don't have a husband! What would my DW think about that! I was responding to someone else who implied it would cause them an issue. We are looking forward to spending the day at Stanley Park and thereabouts.

Archived