Just off Westerdam June 14 - 21

cowsinohio

What a wonderful time we had. This was my first HAL cruise and I think I love those people on that "dam" ship.

We flew into Seattle on the evening of the 13th and I used my Hilton points to stay at the Homewood suites. They have an airport shuttle and we were getting in late. No problem. 2 room suite.

My sister and I each had a grandson with us. shared one suite. No problem.

As recommended on this board, I used Alrady There Town Car service and to say they were great is an understatement. I would use them anytime.

The Westerdam itself was very nice. I was use to the openness of some of the Celebrity and RCCL ships, but found this ship nice. We had started out with a VH guarantee and were assigned (upgraded) to VA side by sides which allowed us to open the balcony between them. Loved it.

The staff ALWAYS had a smile on their face and a friendly greeting.

As for the trays in the Lido ;>)...I did not find it a problem not to have a tray. There was staff to help carry anything and I see it as a savings for all. I never went hungry, could always get more and did not overfill my plate and thus waste food like I might have if I had piled it on a tray, and that goes for the young teen boys with us.

We started out with open seating dining (it had been assigned, not chosen). The first evening, I saw that I did not like it, mainly because we wanted to help the boys learn from the ambience of the more formal type seating and the open concept was more like restaurant seating with people coming and going continually. I asked about the possiblity of changing and was accomodated for the next day. no questions, just a smile and certainly Mrs. Finton. I told our waiter that I usually started each dinner on a cruise with shrimp cocktail (both my sister and I) and he said I will check with my maitre'd and we had it each night, waiting for us at the table.

My only criticism in the dining room was the use of chair covers on formal nights. They were wrinkled terribly totally unironed. Having done special events, etc. if I had put those out at a wedding or any event, I would have been fired. I mentioned it to "Lovely" our wine steward and she said the satff was also speaking about it in their pre meal meeting and were embarassed. I expect it to change.

One evening we had a "special" cast and staff show during dinner, which I came to understand used to be done...was stopped and our cruise was the first reinstatemnt of it. It was fun and the waiters/assts. seemed to really enjoy doing it.

Food was wonderful...

I did not think the shows were up to what I have experienced on Celebrity, but they were better than Princess. However, over the years, I have come to understand that the rating of the shows is VERY subjective and I think we should all learn to apprciated the talent, enjoy...or go do something else. Joel Mason was really good.

We saw whales, which was wonderful.

We went zip-lining in Ketchican...and I am still here to say that at 62, I accomplished it and my grandson is proud of me for not "chickening out".

We did the Silver Bay cruise shore excursion and it was wonderful. The captain on the excursion had us so close you could almost reach out and touch.

We saw bald eagles everywhere. oh my, how beautiful.

We did the Mt. Roberts tramway and hiked awhile. The boys got to have a snowball fight up on the mountain. What fun. and a beautiful sight up on the mountain.

Our only problem was a bad shore excursion in Victoria and I must say the staff took care of the problem immediately, and with apologies.

I would also say the internet service is probably the worst I have experienced on a ship. I would guess half my minutes were used up logging on. I will not do that again.

The Captain, Peter Harris, is genuine, personable and a "really nice guy" really interested in the satisfaction of his crew and guests. not afraid to talk to anyone and really friendly.

Our return flights were late at night 10:30 & 11 pm..so we were able to do and extra fishing trip in Seattle. I would do it ten times over. Carl Nyman at www. fishingseattle.com was so nice and the boys caught salmon (catch and release this week) and flounder..he fileted them and we brought them home on the plane. I had booked a room at the Holiday Inn Express at the airport and we had that room to shower, change clothes and relax before the flight home.

I am REALLY tired today. But the trip was great. and I loved the Glacier Bay itinerary..we had done Tracey Arm previously. I liked this better.

Now to laundry and all those homecoming things.

I really did appreciate the things I learned on this site before we cruised. Used some ideas...learned from all

If you have any questions, I will try to answer.

Thanks

Looking forward to the Panama Canal in February.

Connie

cowsinohio

Thank you so much Connie! My Mother, my Daughter and I leave on the 5th for the same cruise. Can't wait, can't wait! :)

Can you tell me if the kid's club was open for the entire cruise? I know that within the past month it was closed once due to illness, and I'm wondering if the issues persisted. My daughter is 8 and really looking forward to some of the kids' activities.

Thank you so much!

Thank you for your review -- wonderful.

Even though the chair covers on formal nights are not ironed -- we love them -- takes us back to years ago when formal nights were REALLY formal nights.

We spent 21 wonderful days on her this spring.

We have used Already There Town Car quite a few times -- we love them.

I noticed kids club kids doing activities all over. they had a talent show the final day

Our boys got a teen schedule each day and did a few of the things

seemed like everyone was having a good time

Connie

Welcome Home from you first HAL cruise :) It sounds like it may not be your last. We were just on your same cruise on the Westerdam a few weeks ago we too had a wonderful time. This was a year we too saw so many whales and eagles.

My only criticism in the dining room was the use of chair covers on formal nights. They were wrinkled terribly totally unironed. Having done special events, etc. if I had put those out at a wedding or any event, I would have been fired. I mentioned it to "Lovely" our wine steward and she said the satff was also speaking about it in their pre meal meeting and were embarassed. I expect it to change.

You mentioned about the chair covers, I have to say that this was always a tiny bit of a pet peave of mine but..... after over 20 HAL cruises where every single cruise the seat covers were terribly wrinkled since our first HAL cruise in 2003 I seriously doubt you will see this change :o It is just one of the small things I have learned to disregard when on a HAL ship. Sadly it was not just a one time thing that you saw. It is the norm for every HAL ship on the Formal nights when they use the chair covers. I guess I cannot figure out why after all these years they have not had the covers made in a very permanent press fabric :confused: and after washing folded and some how hung up. I am thinking they they wash them and then just shove them in bags for storage. I know the ship has lack of room for storage and lack of time to steam wrinkles out.

I guess I don't pay attention to details, but I didn't notice the chair covers were wrinkled on my other HAL cruises. While on Westerdam in Sept., I'm going to take a closer look.

Thank you for posting. I just can't get enough of hearing about Alaska.

Just an observation. You and "benchmarklearning" were on the same cruise and you both submitted a wonderful review. I did happen to notice in your review you mentioned there were no trays in the lido and "benchmarklearning" said there were trays in the lido. :eek:

Just curious, that's all .........

Just an observation. You and "benchmarklearning" were on the same cruise and you both submitted a wonderful review. I did happen to notice in your review you mentioned there were no trays in the lido and "benchmarklearning" said there were trays in the lido. :eek:

Just curious, that's all .........

I am not quite sure what benchmarklearning meant when they said there were trays in the Lido unless they saw someone with one that asked for one or they asked for one themselves. I will say that the Westerdam was the first ship to go trayless, then the Oosterdam. This was a large part of the discussion I had ewith the Hotel Manager and the Guest Relations Manager at the Q and A on June 6th. Rather than asking here maybe ask benchmarklearning why they said they had trays.

Cabins...We had cabins 7130 & 7134..we were very happy,

Lido

as for the trays :>) I am not sure what others were refering to, however, since I had noticed quite a bit of discussion on the subject prior to our cruise, I specifically watched and as I said, I did not see any use of trays except for staff..and I did not notice it was a problem at all.

Connie

cowsinohio

Cabins...We had cabins 7130 & 7134..we were very happy,

Lido

as for the trays :>) I am not sure what others were refering to, however, since I had noticed quite a bit of discussion on the subject prior to our cruise, I specifically watched and as I said, I did not see any use of trays except for staff..and I did not notice it was a problem at all.

Connie

cowsinohio

Connie, I agree with you, I have been in contact with the ship and know for a fact there are NOT any Trays in the Lido and there was not on your sailing. So totally unknown what what the other person is talking about unless they have never been on HAL before and never encountered the way it use to be and thought they meant what the stewards use for trays :confused:

Guess what! We were on your cruise (Westerdam June 14-21) and Lovely was our wine steward as well! My wife and I had a wonderful time - our second HAL cruise - and I can't wait for my next HAL experience. :)

I'm about to post a few notes from my trip - not really a review - I'll try to remember to link to it in here.

Archived