How is Cabo's beach club - Medano Beach?

jasak

Only problem with the Finisterra is it's location. It's a Pacific Ocean resort (Solmar Beach) so you get the swimming pool, but absolutely no ocean swimming or ocean type activities (jet ski's, parasailing, glass bottom boat, etc).

On Medano Beach, you get all the ocean activities, beach restaurants/bars, vendors selling trinkets, but no swimming pool unless the timeshare resorts are at low occupancy (then you "may" get in). Or you pay for a day pass at the "ME" resort.

Hi Darrell & Holly,

Do you know if the tour on Carnival - to Medano beach club goes to a

private beach with access to swimming pool?

We'll be on the Splendor next week and trying to figure out if we should just go on Carnival's excursion or to one of those private tours..

Thanks!

Hi Darrell & Holly,

We'll be on the Splendor next week and trying to figure out if we should just go on Carnival's excursion or to one of those private tours..

Thanks!

It took me a while, but I finally figured out which "private" resort Caro C was listing as the resort that Carnival uses. I will respect Caro C's request that the name is not mentioned. That anonymity will not last very long however as soon as Splendor completes a few stops there. But for now.

Here is what I can tell you based upon the picture that Caro C provided. It is a pretty new resort (under 4 years old). It is currently one of the top 10 resorts in the Cabo San Lucas area. I have mentioned the name in an earlier post but wasn't aware that it was "the one for Carnival". It is a beautiful property. The lounge chairs are padded, which is nice. The pool area is slightly raised, so if you are in a lounge chair facing south, you will see the pool, the ocean, the cruise ships (I think), and Lands End (aka - Finisterra - The Arch). So that is a pretty fantastic view. The beach area in front of the resort will have a small roped off area for it's guests. It will include lounge chairs and umbrella's and perhaps a cabana or two. It "should" have bar and wait service as well. The roped off area has the advantage of keeping the local trinket vendors at bay. They normally won't enter the roped off area.

What I don't know is if you are given free reign of the resort area or if you are cordoned off in a seperate group area.

Another note. If you did this excursion and still wanted to see the arch up close it is very easy to do. It is worth it. From the resort, you could walk down to the waters edge and catch a water taxi (or glass bottomed boat) for a tour. Tour should take an hour or less. They will take you out to the arch, the rock formations including Scooby Doo Rock, Lover's Beach (including Divorce Beach on the other side), and the sea lion colony. They will return you to the resort at the end. Or you could request to be dropped off at the marina instead if you wanted. You should be able to negotiate a dollar or two off the offered price. Keep in mind that a water taxi picked up at Medano Beach requires entry and egress in the water. Figure about 2 feet of water, possibly a little more. There will be locals there to help you (for a tip). Can't really recommend getting off at Lover's Beach. It's a nice little beach but no facilities. It's up to you. I've done it once, that was enough. It was during one of my weekly stays in Cabo.

Another note. If you did this excursion and still wanted to see the arch up close it is very easy to do. It is worth it. From the resort, you could walk down to the waters edge and catch a water taxi (or glass bottomed boat) for a tour. Tour should take an hour or less. They will take you out to the arch, the rock formations including Scooby Doo Rock, Lover's Beach (including Divorce Beach on the other side), and the sea lion colony. They will return you to the resort at the end. Or you could request to be dropped off at the marina instead if you wanted. You should be able to negotiate a dollar or two off the offered price. Keep in mind that a water taxi picked up at Medano Beach requires entry and egress in the water. Figure about 2 feet of water, possibly a little more. There will be locals there to help you (for a tip). Can't really recommend getting off at Lover's Beach. It's a nice little beach but no facilities. It's up to you. I've done it once, that was enough. It was during one of my weekly stays in Cabo.

Thanks very much! Yes, we'd like to see the arch as well.

Carnival's excursion sounds appealing.

It took me a while, but I finally figured out which "private" resort Caro C was listing as the resort that Carnival uses. I will respect Caro C's request that the name is not mentioned. That anonymity will not last very long however as soon as Splendor completes a few stops there. But for now.

Here is what I can tell you based upon the picture that Caro C provided. It is a pretty new resort (under 4 years old). It is currently one of the top 10 resorts in the Cabo San Lucas area. I have mentioned the name in an earlier post but wasn't aware that it was "the one for Carnival". It is a beautiful property. The lounge chairs are padded, which is nice. The pool area is slightly raised, so if you are in a lounge chair facing south, you will see the pool, the ocean, the cruise ships (I think), and Lands End (aka - Finisterra - The Arch). So that is a pretty fantastic view. The beach area in front of the resort will have a small roped off area for it's guests. It will include lounge chairs and umbrella's and perhaps a cabana or two. It "should" have bar and wait service as well. The roped off area has the advantage of keeping the local trinket vendors at bay. They normally won't enter the roped off area.

What I don't know is if you are given free reign of the resort area or if you are cordoned off in a seperate group area.

I wish RCCL had this excursion - we might do it! Oh well... a day at the beach will be fine.

I know you said it was private......but do you know the name of it?

Also I know there are a few resorts down on Medano beach right on the beach.......would you recommend any of those for a land vacation......I'm thinking they might be timeshares but not sure........

All of the resorts on Medano are timeshare resorts with the exception of part of the ME resort. They would all make a great land vacation. I am very familar with all of them- let me know more detatils on what you are looking for.

All of the resorts on Medano are timeshare resorts with the exception of part of the ME resort. They would all make a great land vacation. I am very familar with all of them- let me know more detatils on what you are looking for.

Welcome back Sandy!

Dang...you would make a good private detective! You almost have it 100%. Only one little error...it has only been open a year last February though...it is really, really new.

And yes, the guests have free reign of the grounds, resort, all facilities and services including the huge spa, all the bars, restaurant, waitstaff, poolside and beach, umbrellas, very cushy loungers, cabana things poolside and on beach, etc....

The resort is very strict about letting in "outsiders" during day but nice lounge opened recently in evenings that we "others" can allowed in. I have not gone yet... :(

Hi Darrell & Holly,

Thanks!

There are 2 huge pools there along with a seperate area for kids with a pool. Towel service is also provided at resort so you don't have to be loaded down with ship towel is you want to wander around before or after tour.

Dang...you would make a good private detective! You almost have it 100%. Only one little error...it has only been open a year last February though...it is really, really new.

And yes, the guests have free reign of the grounds, resort, all facilities and services including the huge spa, all the bars, restaurant, waitstaff, poolside and beach, umbrellas, very cushy loungers, cabana things poolside and on beach, etc....

The resort is very strict about letting in "outsiders" during day but nice lounge opened recently in evenings that we "others" can allowed in. I have not gone yet... :(

I kept looking at the google satellite photos but they are about 2-4 years old. I know this because looking at Sunset Beach, the area of the big high rises and sky pool are still just dirt. That area is pretty much completed now. You should see the huge architectural model of the completed plans for the entire Sunset Beach complex. The 2 Jack Nicholas golf courses, the $8,000,000 golf course houses, 4 Seasons, etc. I took pictures of it, I'll try to get them posted.

So I finally resorted to another website and looked up the newest resorts that have been added. Going through the candid traveler photo's, I was able to identify the swimming pools and the rest is history.

Is the lounge area you speak of the grass roof hut in front of the pools.

I kept looking at the google satellite photos but they are about 2-4 years old.

So I finally resorted to another website and looked up the newest resorts that have been added. Going through the candid traveler photo's, I was able to identify the swimming pools and the rest is history.

Pretty nifty! I like that way of puzzle solving :)

I really don't know if it is inside or out...I received a publicity email about the lounge opening months ago from one of those mass marketing email places - Publiport or something like that. One of the big draws of the lounge is the music they play, the variety of beer/speciality drinks and the view. I am just not a big nightlife person anymore...SKY and micropopcorn more my style.

I kept looking at the google satellite photos but they are about 2-4 years old. I know this because looking at Sunset Beach, the area of the big high rises and sky pool are still just dirt. That area is pretty much completed now. You should see the huge architectural model of the completed plans for the entire Sunset Beach complex. The 2 Jack Nicholas golf courses, the $8,000,000 golf course houses, 4 Seasons, etc. I took pictures of it, I'll try to get them posted.

Made a slight boo boo on this earlier post. It is the Ritz-Carlton (not the 4 Seasons) that is being added by the golf course. The entire expansion is a joint partnership with Pueblo Bonito, Ritz-Carlton, and Jack Nicholas. Pueblo Bonito owns all the land, Ritz-Carlton is building the hotel and building and managing the golf course homes (it is called Quivera), and Jack Nicholas is designing, funding & building the golf courses and in return is being given several of the homes to sell for profit. The homes on the edge of the coast & along the golf course will sell for 8-10 mil apiece while the inland golf course homes will go for a few million less. I think in the 4-5 mil range. The golf course to the north of the lighthouse will eventually go private for the exclusive use of the homeowners. The golf course to the south will be public with Pueblo Bonito/Montecristo owners having obvious benefits/privileges.

Well SDPadreFan and Caro C, you guys are the insiders and know the lay of the land.

I am now intrigued about this Carnival beach excursion including a private resort pool.

I normally am a "do it yourself" excursion guy, and hate wads of people put into cattle cars...

But, can you tell me this:

Is this "secret private" resort that Carnival uses an easy (I mean real close) walking distance to the rest of the Medeno Beach "beach clubs". I was planning to just head to Medeno on my own and plop down at Baja Cantina for lunch and Margarita then move down to Tobascos to hang out for a few hours. But, I know my wife and boys would probably like a pool to hop into as well. If I can do this "tour" and still easily walk the "Medeno restaurant row", then we might go this route.

I appreciate your keeping the name secret, but I really would like to at least have a general idea about where it sits.

Thanks!

It is closer to the Tobasco's end of the beach. Realistically, once you have enjoyed Tobasco's, you may not even find it necessary to walk down to Baja Cantina. It's close enough to either end so you will be fine.

It is closer to the Tobasco's end of the beach. Realistically, once you have enjoyed Tobasco's, you may not even find it necessary to walk down to Baja Cantina. It's close enough to either end so you will be fine.

Thanks SDPadreFan!

Now that I know the general location of this un-named resort Carnival uses for their Medeno Beach break excursion, I think I will book it.

My wife prefers dipping in a pool... where me and the boys like the ocean... and we can bop up and down the Medeno beach bar scene to see what is happening, get beach toys, etc.

Sounds like Tabasco's will take care of me... so I will go there for some chow and Margaritas :)

ATTN Caro C, Househunter (Sandy) & a few others to numerous to list.

Slightly, (ok completely), off topic but still good to know info for you guys who live & breath Cabo like me. I posted the pictures I took of the planned expansion of the Sunset Beach area which includes the 2 planned Jack Nicholas golf courses and the Quivera development. I'm sure you've seen the signs in town pointing the way.

I added comments to each picture describing it.

http://travel.webshots.com/album/573388308SzeTHl

ATTN Caro C, Househunter (Sandy) & a few others to numerous to list.

Slightly, (ok completely), off topic but still good to know info for you guys who live & breath Cabo like me. I posted the pictures I took of the planned expansion of the Sunset Beach area which includes the 2 planned Jack Nicholas golf courses and the Quivera development. I'm sure you've seen the signs in town pointing the way.

I added comments to each picture describing it.

http://travel.webshots.com/album/573388308SzeTHl

Thanks! I love that area. The mountain above it and right by the hill with the little pavillion thingy is where I want to build my little house. It is so quiet and peaceful and only a few houses. Ahhhhhh someday soon.

Thanks! I love that area. The mountain above it and right by the hill with the little pavillion thingy is where I want to build my little house. It is so quiet and peaceful and only a few houses. Ahhhhhh someday soon.

Maybe that, or you could just buy Mr. Coppel's house down on the beach.

Take a close look at light house mountain. It looks like they're going to be hauling a bunch of it away. Course it may be just the architectural display. But that would be a lot of dirt to move.

• 3 months later...
The place RCCL uses is Nikki Beach which is a beach club at a hotel (ME Cabo - which was the ME Melia before) on Medeno Beach for their tour Resort Beach Getaway. The general public can use the facilities at Nikki Beach (chairs, umbrellas, etc.) if they purchase food/drink - kinda like a pay as you go day pass. They do have a small pool. I see on the RCCL website that guests must be 18yrs old to do this tour.

The resort Carnival uses is NOT Nikki Beach...Carnival uses a private resort with no general public allowed. There are a couple of large pools and a spa as well. And there is a special child rate as well as infants are free on Carnival's Exclusive Beach Resort tour. I was informed also that guests who want to spend longer than 4hrs can go on the early departure from the pier and return back with last departure so they can extend tour to 6hrs!

RCCL's price is $74.00 pp. Are drinks included with this price? I cant believe at that price they wouldnt be? :eek:

• 3 months later...

so the wife and i will be at medano beach in april. we plan to cruise the beach area, have some drinks, have some food, and the like. we might just find a spot to post ourselves who knows. anyway, how close and active is the bar/party/strip club scene during our call at port? i know most california clubs dont get live until 11pm, but are mexican clubs live at 11am cause of the influx from a ship?

so the wife and i will be at medano beach in april. we plan to cruise the beach area, have some drinks, have some food, and the like. we might just find a spot to post ourselves who knows. anyway, how close and active is the bar/party/strip club scene during our call at port? i know most california clubs dont get live until 11pm, but are mexican clubs live at 11am cause of the influx from a ship?

still looking for some advice here. whats within the medano area and is it walkable from the ship? the wife and i are active so walking is no prob and if we wanted to get wild what is there?:cool:

seems most of the cruise passengers party in the marina front cafes. Many folks stroll the marina front boardwalk so the people watching is fun. We often have run into partying ship mates on the Marina Boardwalk cafe's. We have never run into a shipmate on Medano; but there are always alot of folks in Cabo's many resorts that go to Medano for the sun and fun; so Medano Beach is always great for people watching.

Medano Beach is a farther walk all the way around the marina and then a hillclimb on a public street. Medano Beach has several beachfront bars/cafes. A spot like the Mango Deck has a roaming tequila shot fellow and an announcer to encourage the party to step up a bit. The announcer calls to the crowd to preform acts of debotchery to earn drinks. For instance, he will suggest to a couple, to run down into the water and trade bathing suits bottoms for a bucket of beer. Wild to watch!

We like to bounce around the many spots on Medando Beach. We stop for a cool drink, and then move on!

Medano Beach Mango Deck (announcers stage, Tequila shot fellow on left in blue shirt and large hat)

IMG_8791.jpg

Medano Beach Ambiance

IMG_5347.jpg

Marina Front cafe (we ran into these cruise mates enjoying the marina boardwalk)

IMG_8803.jpg

Marina Boardwalk view

IMG_1794.jpg

taco loco and rips bar (near cabo wabo) is a great place to eat and drink cheap.

Taco Loco & Rips scene (rips on left) 4 tacos + beer = $6.25, 3 beers = $5

IMG_8819b.jpg

Medano Beach is a farther walk all the way around the marina and then a hillclimb on a public street. Medano Beach has several beachfront bars/cafes. A spot like the Mango Deck has a roaming tequila shot fellow and an announcer to encourage the party to step up a bit. The announcer calls to the crowd to preform acts of debotchery to earn drinks. For instance, he will suggest to a couple, to run down into the water and trade bathing suits bottoms for a bucket of beer. Wild to watch!

They did the bathing suit change when I was there, with my then 17 yo son. We both had a blast. I loved the party atmosphere, since it was up to you how much enjoyment you wanted to have. My son, along with a young couple won a bucket of beer with trivia. He was so proud:) Too bad (or maybe not) we had to leave, shortly thereafter;)

Archived