My Solo Vancouver Experience Pre/Post-Cruise

I spent one night in Vancouver before my cruise, and one night after. I spent those nights at the YWCA Hotel, as I didn't need a lot of amenities, just a clean, safe place to lay my head. The hotel is a little bit out of the main downtown hotel district, but it was perfect for my needs. I arrived at YVR on Saturday afternoon about 1:30pm. I caught the Airporter bus ($14) downtown to the Fairmont Vancouver Hotel stop,intending to take a taxi to the YWCA Hotel, but since I was in no hurry, I just walked/rolled my suitcase the 9 blocks, while checking out the area. After checking in, with an upgrade from single to double, I went back out to explore. I walked to Canada Place, and rode the SkyTrain a few stops just for fun. My one weird experience was on the SkyTrain, I saw a crazy dude on the subway. He followed some Indian guys on, got up in one of their faces, balling up his fists, then started pointing his finger in the guy's face. He never said a word, then he starting swinging on the guy, and the other Indian guy held him back. Finally, crazy dude walked to the other end of the subway car, mumbling to himself, and got off at the next stop. Well...that was special.

I had decided to go to YukYuk's comedy club that evening, and it was fun. I had some food and a drink, and I got a different perspective on Canadians from hearing what they joked about. One joke was about how the city would try to hide the homeless/crackheads/prostitutes in Vancouver during the 2010 Olympics. The comedian suggested they give those people flags from different countries so that they looked like they came from elsewhere. After the comedy club, the night was still young, so I went to a second-run theater on Granville street, where the street is torn up for Olympic construction, and saw the movie "State of Play". It was really good. Then I walked back to my hotel and got some sleep.

Sunday morning, I checked out and stored my luggage with the hotel. Then, I had a late breakfast at the White Spot. I was feeling full, but I walked around downtown anyway. I decided to arrive at Ballantyne Pier around 2:00 to board the Mercury. I caught a taxi from the hotel for < $10. Boarding didn't take long, and I was on my way to Alaska.

<Insert fantastic cruise here>

Arriving back in Vancouver the following Sunday, I taxied to the hotel around 10:00am. They had a room ready for me, upgraded from single to double, so I was able to check in. I went to the HOHO Trolley stop at the library and paid the $35 fare for 2 days, minus a $2 coupon from the hotel. I rode to Canada Place on the blue loop, then transferred to the red loop to go to Stanley Park. I got off at the Rose Garden, had a cup of tea at the outdoor cafe there, and then wandered over to the walking track. It was a beautiful day, and I enjoyed the boats and views of the city as I made my way over to the trolley stop by the Totem Poles. I saw some people playing cricket there, and the trolley was late, so I watched some ducks, saw people taking silly wedding photos, and talked to people walking their dogs (I was seriously missing my dog by now). Back on the trolley, I rode until we arrived at English Bay Beach. It looked great, so I got off there, had a hot dog from a cart, and walked to a street festival a couple of blocks away. I enjoyed some music, did some people watching, then headed back to the trolley stop on the beach. I rode the trolley to a point near a blue loop stop, and walked over to transfer to that loop. I stayed on the trolley until I got back to Canada Place, caught the SeaBus over to North Vancouver, watched the Mercury sail away without me (sniff!), and checked out Lonsdale Quay Market. Then I went back to the waterfront station. I walked down Burrard to the ScotiaBank Theaters and got a ticket to see "Pelham 123". I went over to The Winking Judge to have fish and chips (delish!) and a real Canadian beer (Kokanee). Then back to the movies and back to the hotel to sleep.

Monday morning, I checked out and left my luggage at the hotel. I caught the HoHO Trolley again, just riding around, then got off in Gastown at the Spaghetti Factory for lunch (not bad). I walked back to the hotel, caught a taxi to the Sutton Place Hotel, where I caught the Airporter back to the airport ($14). So long, Vancouver, it's been nice, but I'm going home. :)

Note: I needed to do all that walking, considering all the wonderful cruise food I enjoyed, but man, my dogs (feet) were tired when I got home!

Thanks for the review!

I will have only one day in Vancouver (solo) post-cruise and I'm glad you were able to have a good time on your own.

Do you remember the name of the theatre on Granville Street? I have nothing planned for my evening in Vancouver and it sounds like a good option to me.

I spent one night in Vancouver before my cruise, and one night after. I spent those nights at the YWCA Hotel.......

.....nsidering all the wonderful cruise food I enjoyed, but man, my dogs (feet) were tired when I got home!

I'm glad you enjoyed your stay in Vancouver, and particularly the somewhat off the beaten path YWCA Hotel (I think it was I that recommended it to you).

Empire Granville 7 Cinemas

855 Granville Street

Sorry, guess I'm tired today and not reading things correctly...I saw the word "play" in the name of the movie and put play & theatre together in mind and assumed it was a stage performance of some sort. I'm not really looking for a movie theatre, but I still appreciate your quick response! Next time I'll read more carefully!!!

If you are looking for plays as in "live theater - here are some suggestions

Theater under the Stars (TUTS) at Malkin Bowl in Stanley Park

Bard on the Beach - at Vanier Park - near Granville Island

Granville Island has many comtemporary theaters including the Art Clubs and Waterfront group.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

If you are looking for plays as in "live theater - here are some suggestions

Theater under the Stars (TUTS) at Malkin Bowl in Stanley Park

Bard on the Beach - at Vanier Park - near Granville Island

Granville Island has many comtemporary theaters including the Art Clubs and Waterfront group.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks, this is very helpful!!

Here's links to some of those groups that I mentioned:

Bard on the Beach:

http://bardonthebeach.org/

Theatre under the Stars:

http://www.tuts.ca/

Granville Island for you:

http://www.granvilleisland.com/en/arts_and_entertainment/theatre

Hope this helps further

Cheers

Dennis

I'm glad you enjoyed your stay in Vancouver, and particularly the somewhat off the beaten path YWCA Hotel (I think it was I that recommended it to you).

You're right, it was your recommendation. Thanks, again. It was the perfect hotel for me.

Archived