Heads Up - Flights from UK to Europe

ourlol

I not sure whether anyone will be interested, but Easyjet (a British low-cost airline) has 'just' released it's summer timetable for 2005.

I've just booked a one way flight from London Gatwick to Venice (Marco Polo) for £42.99 (circa $83). This price includes taxes. There is an additional £4 booking fee for some credit cards. BTW you can also book a transfer through their website from the airport direct to the ship. For 6 of us the website is quoting 10.50 Euros per head.

Easyjet's baggage allowance is not generous i.e. one standard piece of hand luggage (55x40x20cm) and one piece of checked in hold luggage weighing no more than 20kg. You can take an additional free allowance of 10kg of sporting equipment (subject to space availability). You would need to look at the website for exact details.

Anyway, I wasn't sure whether some of you may find it cheaper to get a flight into London and then another onto your European destination. This therefore was just a thought!!

Laura

• 5 months later...
I not sure whether anyone will be interested, but Easyjet (a British low-cost airline) has 'just' released it's summer timetable for 2005.

I've just booked a one way flight from London Gatwick to Venice (Marco Polo) for £42.99 (circa $83). This price includes taxes. There is an additional £4 booking fee for some credit cards. BTW you can also book a transfer through their website from the airport direct to the ship. For 6 of us the website is quoting 10.50 Euros per head.

Easyjet's baggage allowance is not generous i.e. one standard piece of hand luggage (55x40x20cm) and one piece of checked in hold luggage weighing no more than 20kg. You can take an additional free allowance of 10kg of sporting equipment (subject to space availability). You would need to look at the website for exact details.

Anyway, I wasn't sure whether some of you may find it cheaper to get a flight into London and then another onto your European destination. This therefore was just a thought!!

Laura

Thanks, Laura.

We are thinking of booking EasyJet from Gatwick to Rome.

Not having flown in Europe recently, are there any special "security" recommendations you can make re checked luggage. Specifically, does one lock the luggage before checking it?

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks very much.

Pincus

Pincus,

Bear in mind the prices quoted now by Easyjet (for summer 05) will be dearer than when I started the thread back in December.

I'm not aware of any special security recommendations re checked luggage - other than the prohibited and restricted items i.e. gas cylinders, poisons etc. FYI we use 'cable ties' rather than a lock and key. Of course, this presents a slight problem when you get to the other end... how do I cut them... because you are not allowed to take scissors or any sharp items in your hand luggage!! :D

The only downside to the low cost airlines is the baggage allowance . It's not a lot, but do-able!

Easyjet only allow each passenger to take

• one standard piece of hand baggage to maximum dimensions of 55x40x20cm, and
  • a free allowance of standard checked-in hold baggage to a maximum weight of 20kgs

They charge a fee for anything over that weight.

Make sure you get there in good time for the flight. Although you don't have to (in theory) check in until 40 mins before departure - I would work on arriving at least 60-90 mins beforehand (as a minimum). They are very strict at closing the check-in desk. No amount of begging (even a minute late) will gain you entry to the flight.

On board catering is limited. Think along the lines of 'snacks' and you are charged for them. It's free seating i.e. you can't book a specific seat when you arrive - it's a bit of a free for all when you board.

Laura

Not having flown in Europe recently, are there any special "security" recommendations you can make re checked luggage. Specifically, does one lock the luggage before checking it?
The recommendation in the UK, as in almost all of the world, is to lock your luggage securely before checking it.

If you're thinking of flying easyJet, remember always to check the fares for the other alternatives. Just because they're a low-fare airline it doesn't mean that they're always going to be cheaper than the full-service majors. The same goes for the other big European low-fare, Ryanair. And always remember to estimate your total travel costs, and gauge the value of your time, because sometimes the low-fare airlines fly to airports that are out of the way (Ryanair is particularly bad for this).

It's very aggravating when you think you've scored a good low fare, only to find that your total travel cost is much higher (and takes much longer) than if you'd just booked the major's ticket. And some of the majors will definitely provide a much higher level of service.

Thank you, Laura, Globaliser, and Andy for your replies.

The specifics are very helpful, Laura, thank you.

We're still in the planning stage, so might need to get back to all of you as things develop.

Thanks for your help.

Pincus

Thank you, Laura, Globaliser, and Andy for your replies.

The specifics are very helpful, Laura, thank you.

We're still in the planning stage, so might need to get back to all of you as things develop.

Thanks for your help.

Pincus

We need to get from the QM2 dock in Southampton to Rome in October. It appears to us that a car to Gatwick, with an Easyjet flight to Rome, is the simplest, and in the end, most economical way to go.

However, your kindness to date has inspired me to seek your advice. Are we missing another opportunity? Other airports, for example. One piece of information that you need to answer that question: we are senior citizens, and certainly while mobile, need to travel differently than we did when we were younger. The use of trains and buses with our luggage is not an option.

Many thanks in advance.

Pincus

Pincus,

I believe a number of CC members are using the transfer services of the husband of English Rose. She lives in Southampton and her contact details are in the link provided. She quotes per vehicle and prices given are for a personal meet and greet service wherever from whatever destination.

Here is a quote from one of her own posts

My husband owns a chauffeur company and regularly transfers cruise passengers, mainly onto P&O and Cunard QE2 and Queen Mary ships via London hotels. We own many up-market Mercedes cars, MPV's and have very friendly drivers who will look after you well. We live just outside Southampton, so we know so much about both areas.

Laura

Pincus,

I believe a number of CC members are using the transfer services of the husband of English Rose. She lives in Southampton and her contact details are in the link provided. She quotes per vehicle and prices given are for a personal meet and greet service wherever from whatever destination.

Here is a quote from one of her own posts

Laura[/quote

Laura, thanks again. After doing a search on these boards, we've been looking at Woodford Chauffeur Cars. My guess is that it is operated by English Rose's husband. Am I correct?

Many thanks for your generous help.

Pincus

we've been looking at Woodford Chauffeur Cars. My guess is that it is operated by English Rose's husband. Am I correct?

Yes, by doing a similar search to you, I believe they are one and the same i.e. Woodford Chauffeur Cars is run by Bryan Finch, the husband of Cheryl (aka English Rose).

I hope it works out for you. :)

Laura

We need to get from the QM2 dock in Southampton to Rome in October. It appears to us that a car to Gatwick, with an Easyjet flight to Rome, is the simplest, and in the end, most economical way to go. ... Are we missing another opportunity? Other airports, for example.
Given your constraints, I think that this is probably the most economical way if you don't have huge amounts of baggage. The only other possibly-better alternative might have been flying from Southampton airport, but there aren't any flights to Rome from there as far as I can see.

I mention the baggage, though, because the easyJet baggage allowance is 20 kg per person, and they will charge for everything over that at £4 per kg, which can add up. You may get a little bit more leeway from a major airline, particularly if you are flying the same airline on your long-haul flights - although nothing is guaranteed on this unless all the travel is on the same ticket.

Yes, by doing a similar search to you, I believe they are one and the same i.e. Woodford Chauffeur Cars is run by Bryan Finch, the husband of Cheryl (aka English Rose).

I hope it works out for you. :)

Laura

Laura, looks like Woodford will be the way for us to go.

Thanks for the confirmation.

Pincus

Given your constraints, I think that this is probably the most economical way if you don't have huge amounts of baggage. The only other possibly-better alternative might have been flying from Southampton airport, but there aren't any flights to Rome from there as far as I can see.

I mention the baggage, though, because the easyJet baggage allowance is 20 kg per person, and they will charge for everything over that at £4 per kg, which can add up. You may get a little bit more leeway from a major airline, particularly if you are flying the same airline on your long-haul flights - although nothing is guaranteed on this unless all the travel is on the same ticket.

Fortunately, Globaliser, we travel "light." Having read Easyjet's FAQ, we think this will work for us given that each of us will have only one bag.

I appreciate your thoughtful replies.

Pincus

• 4 weeks later...

To Laura and to Globaliser,

You and the people of London are in my thoughts. There is a condolence book

here at the British Embassy which I hope to sign, but I just wanted to send my personal thoughts to you.

We are planning a QM2 crossing this fall, and look forward to setting foot on UK soil in Southampton. You've been quite helpful in planning this trip.

Laura, we have not yet contacted English Rose, but plan to do so, for transport from the QM2 to Gatwick.

Pincus

Pincus,

Thank you so much for your support. If anything these tragic events have served to strengthen British resolve to carry on as normal. I have just been to my local shopping centre (about 45 mins from the city) and a large part of it had been cordoned off due to a security alert. Sadly, I think we are going to see a lot of this in the days and weeks to come.

As an aside, I have only heard favourable things about 'English Rose'. I believe a few people have used her in recent months for their own transfers ~ all appear to be very pleased. I don't think you will go wrong if you use the services of her husband's company.

Laura

Archived