Age Requirement..How Strict?

nuphidelt

I have been considering a cruise for spring break next year with a group of my friends. Many of us will be 22 at the time, however there are some of us in the party that will be 20. Does anyone know of a case where, through the proper method (talking to a reservation manager i suppose) this rule was waived. The 20 year olds in question are past Carnival cruisers if this would make a difference. Thanks!

I have been considering a cruise for spring break next year with a group of my friends. Many of us will be 22 at the time, however there are some of us in the party that will be 20. Does anyone know of a case where, through the proper method (talking to a reservation manager i suppose) this rule was waived. The 20 year olds in question are past Carnival cruisers if this would make a difference. Thanks!

From Carnivals page~

How old do you have to be to travel alone? spacer.gif Guests are required to be 21 years old (on embarkation day) to travel. Guests under the age of 21 must be accompanied in the same stateroom by a parent or guardian 25 or older.

If any ONE person is under that age of 21...that person MUST have an adult 25 years or older "attached" in some way to their name.

Other cruise lines do not have this restriction...you might want to check with them. There are no exceptions.

The rest of the 22 year olds will be fine.

From Carnivals page~

How old do you have to be to travel alone? spacer.gif Guests are required to be 21 years old (on embarkation day) to travel. Guests under the age of 21 must be accompanied in the same stateroom by a parent or guardian 25 or older.

I've read that and I understand what its saying, im just wondering if anyone has or has heard of an exception being made?

If you want to know if they would make an exception call them, I didn't realize you already read Carnivals policy and were wondering if they routinely let people slide with regards to this rule....my guess would be NO. Exceptions to "rules" are made all the time according to these boards but we can't give you a yes/no answer, according to their policy even if you were allowed to book for some reason you could and probably would be denied boarding at embarkation with no compensation. Personally I wouldn't want to take that risk, just book with a cruise line that allows it.

I've read that and I understand what its saying, im just wondering if anyone has or has heard of an exception being made?

I've haven't heard/read about any exceptions being made.

The rules are the rules, they don't need a parents permission to travel, they are technically adults, the cruiseline has age restrictions. If you are under 21 and someone 25 or older wants to be responsible, they don't have to be a parent.

candi

It doesn't hurt to ask! But I think you need to ask Carnival...and get some definitive evidence, if they say they would make an exception. In the end though...I would think the odds are against you. The rules aren't JUST rules...they are always based on the bottom line! Money! I would imagine they have set regulations...with regards to insurance carriers, and liability...that establish the no one under 21 kind of requirements. Thus, likely to NOT be waived...or else Carnival could put themselves at unnecessary and unprudent risk.

To answer your question, I've never seen a Post on CC reporting success in circumventing Carnival's age rules. Even if you did get a "cooperative" TA or PVP to book you, you'd always have the possibility/probability that they'd pick-up on the age discrepancy at check-in and refuse boarding (with no compensation).

The age policy is specifically covered in the Cruise contract, and as such is pretty inflexible: "Carnival shall refuse boarding to any Guest under the age of twenty-one unless: (1) the Guest is traveling in the same stateroom with an individual twenty-five years or older; (2) traveling in the same stateroom with their spouse; or (3) traveling with a parent or guardian in an accompanying stateroom. Proof of age and/or proof of marriage are required. Carnival shall not be liable to make any refunds or for any damages with respect to any Guest’s failure to provide proper proof of age or marriage or otherwise comply with this provision."

ken

There aren't any exceptions and I'm surprised anyone would think there would be.

These age requirements are there for a reason......

They are not going to waive the rule. They don't even waive it when the parents of a 22 yo and his/her 20 yo non related friend is along.

My guess is that 20-yr old need special permission from parents and someone has to agree to be responsible for them. But check with Carnival folks.

Why would an adult need their parent's permission to do something?

Big group of 22 year olds cruising unsupervised for spring break = bad idea. Very, very bad idea.

To answer your question, yes they are strict and no, there is no manager you can speak to about how much of a loyal customer you have been over the 22 years.

If you don't take your parents, or some other responsible adult, it won't fly. Carnival needs a throat to choke if things go bad and they know that they can't get much money out of 22 year old college kids if they damage the property. They need mom and dad's money on the line before they will let you loose. Thank God!

You will have to find a few 25+ friends to go with and they'll have to share with the 20 year olds. I don't think Carnival would bend the rules if it was a group of trainee nuns or nuns that were aged 20-22 or a mormon church group with mostly 20-22 yr olds (Mormons don't smoke, drink, or consume caffeinated drinks).

They are strict about the reservation. I have been told repeatedly by different carnival reps that once you are checking in, rooms may be altered as you need to. We are traveling with 17, 18, 21, 23 yos. We want the 18 and 23 together and the 17 and 21 together. Parents and Grandparents of all 4 are on the trip as well. Right now, my 21 and 23 are roomies and let me tell you, they do NOT want to share space with each other HAHA. We will put girls in one and boys in another.

All 5 rooms are in the same basic vacinity, same level but the kids are not directly across from a parent. Kids have inside and *adults* have balconys. I think there is only 10 doors between the 2 furtherest points though.

Through reservations, they are VERY STRICT about the age limits.

Yes, Carnival is very strict. No, it will cost nothing to ask about a possible exception. You will have to speak to a supervisor or better yet a manager type. I would estimate your chance of getting a favorable ruling is less than one in ten. If you get it, get everything in writing.

Doc

From a fellow Phi Delt and a cruise agent I am sorry to say but there are very few ways they allow anyone under 21 to cruise without someone over 25 in the same cabin. Some exceptions are children with parents imedietly next door or across the hall and married couples. Your situation deff would not fly.

In the past we have been able upon embarkation able to get new keys (sign n'sails altered) by changing my son to his own interior room across hall, and us as parents in our balcony (he is 18.) This June 09 Legend cruise they would not do it at all, we had to leave keys as is, and he and myself got "Mr no key & Mrs. No key made" created. Thus, carrying two cabin keys at all times with one being original sign'n sail ID.

The close exception was another family was at pursar desk and had connecting cabins that opened into eachother, but then I heard pursars still balk and have to get manager approval to let kids "officially stay alone".

Be forewarned, they are getting pretty strict now.

Archived