Any Recommended New York Walking Tours?

swdke

We will be staying in NYC before and after our New England cruise. Thought maybe a walking tour could be fun and informative. Has anyone taken any walking tour they can recommend?

We just got back from a Memorial Day weekend visit to NYC with some friends who grew up in NYC. We went on the Chelsa Market Tour and it is great. Don't eat breakfast because you eat your way through this tour and get a sense of how this area was developed. It was by far one of the best walking tours that we've ever done, even our friends who grew up in the city loved it. Enjoy! When we get off our cruise in October we are planning on doing the Greenwich Village tour. http://www.foodsofny.com/chelseamarket.php

Sounds like a great idea - maybe because it's close to dinner time.

I'm not sure there is a "walking" tour of NY that could possibly be done in one day. A couple of little individual tours of parts of the city can be done in a day, but with so much to see it would be difficult singling out which ones to take.

We are thinking more along the lines of doing the HOHO and walking around certain areas, spending more time with the stuff that interests us and so on. While in Vancouver before doing an Alaskan cruise last year, we did the HOHO trolley of the city and had a ball.

In Central Park they offer a complimentary walking tour. My wife and I took it in 2007 and it was wonderful. They took us to key areas in the park and provided lots of wonderful history about the development of the park. I highly recommend it.

Keith

In Central Park they offer a complimentary walking tour. My wife and I took it in 2007 and it was wonderful. They took us to key areas in the park and provided lots of wonderful history about the development of the park. I highly recommend it.

Keith

Great idea, thanks. I went to the web site, I had no idea there would be so many to options in Central Park, will be a tough decision to pick one. Thanks.

Walking Tours are a great way to see New York City. There are many tours from which to choose. One reputable company is Big Onion Walking Tours.

This is a link to their website: http://www.bigonion.com

They have their schedule posted through September.

Another choice is Joyce Gold's Historic Tours.

That website is: http://www.nyctours.com/

Google "walking tours in new york city" and you will find other options.

New York City is one of my favorite cities and I think taking a walking tour is one of the best ways to explore the city.

We just got back from a Memorial Day weekend visit to NYC with some friends who grew up in NYC. We went on the Chelsa Market Tour and it is great. Don't eat breakfast because you eat your way through this tour and get a sense of how this area was developed. It was by far one of the best walking tours that we've ever done, even our friends who grew up in the city loved it. Enjoy! When we get off our cruise in October we are planning on doing the Greenwich Village tour. http://www.foodsofny.com/chelseamarket.php

Oh my! Thank you! That sounds wonderful and something that we would probably enjoy very much.

My favorite is Canal Street. Knockoffs and street vendors, from there go to Chinatown and eat in Little Italy (Mulberry St.) You can do this in one sweep as they are all connected. Get a map or ask. Can take subway or bus to Canal Street from Times Square.

Also, walk up 5th Avenue and down Madison if you are into high fashion and jewelry.

Can't do both in same day unless you are really fit.

Central Park? Well, it's a park. OK and pretty. Don't go at night or early AM.

• 2 years later...

Archived