H1N1 Swine Flu

Kiera99

I'm flying in to Beijing on 7/9-10, and my travel agent sent word a day or two ago about "changes" in US arrivals to China, due to Swine Flu "epidemic".

Apparently, before deplaning, one will have one's temperature read (likely an electronic reader), and then, before Customs & Immigration, there will be a mandatory line for health questioning upon deplaning.

From what I gather, we should expect quite a delay getting out of the Beijing airport upon arrival....

See the following:

http://wwwn.cdc.gov/travel/content/news-announcements/delays-H1N1-screening.aspx

Paul :(

I don't know what your connection time is, but here's more of what my TA sent me....

<<

Basically, Chinese officials will board each entering airplane after it lands and take everyone's body temperature. I presume this is done with some IR scanning device. Then, once off the plane, you will pass through two, lengthy lines. The first is a health screening line. You will be asked a series of questions about your health. If they deem you are potentially contagious they may quarantine you. Please read over the CDC note above.

There are a couple of things you might want to do an hour or so before we land. ;) Change you clothes and put on things that are very lightweight. A lightweight short sleeve shirt and short pants would be a good idea. Do not drink a hot drink (hot coffee or hot tea) before landing. If the air vent is blowing cold air, cool yourself down with this air. Finally, Advil (or equivalent) or Tylenol can lower your temperature if your temperature is elevated.

When being screened, be careful what you say about your health.

>>

Hope this helps!

Paul :)

Hi Paul,

I heard that, in China, anyone sitting two rows in front and two rows behind, a sick passenger, is quarantined. This has me scared.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

ileene

Hi Paul,

I heard that, in China, anyone sitting two rows in front and two rows behind, a sick passenger, is quarantined. This has me scared.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

ileene

If they find anyone that they seriously think has the FLU forget it the whole damm plane is going to be quarantined. With their population density and poor public health system they simply can't afford anything. That is the way of these not so free countries.

I like the tips about cool air and fever reduction pills. BTW they have IR scanners that take full body thermal imaging, sitting infront of a cool air vent and/or drinking a lot of cool water really can't fool these full IR scanners.

We flew into Hong Kong toward the end of the SARS outbreak. They were pulling people out of line to take their temperatures. There were tables everywhere with people in white lab coats staring at you as you walked by. It was enough to make you sweat out of discomfort. God forbid you would take that time to have a hot flash!!!!!

I guess that it is better to be safe than risk a health problem

I heard it was only two rows. Where did you hear six? In three days, I'll find out and report back.

Please let us know. I've been reading the Chinese newspapers and that was what they did in the last couple of months since the outbreak in Hong Kong and Mainland China.

• 3 weeks later...

When I landed in Shanghai, a brigade of men, dressed in white hazmat suits, came on board our plane. They took all the passenger's temperatures, by zapping them with a device to see if we had a fever. One man near us, was zapped a few times, until they were satisfied and went on to the next passenger. We also had to fill out special health forms. As we left, we had to submit the forms to someone. After reading the forms they allowed us to go on to immigration. Not a nice experience.

When I landed in Shanghai, a brigade of men, dressed in white hazmat suits, came on board our plane. They took all the passenger's temperatures, by zapping them with a device to see if we had a fever. One man near us, was zapped a few times, until they were satisfied and went on to the next passenger. We also had to fill out special health forms. As we left, we had to submit the forms to someone. After reading the forms they allowed us to go on to immigration. Not a nice experience.

there are worse ways to have your temprature taken :eek:

The stress was NOT having our temperatures taken, it was the treat of being quarantined for 5 days and missing the sailing.

i always buy insurance, and checked to make sure it covered this. i would be disappointed, though.

I'm flying in to Beijing on 7/9-10, and my travel agent sent word a day or two ago about "changes" in US arrivals to China, due to Swine Flu "epidemic".

Apparently, before deplaning, one will have one's temperature read (likely an electronic reader), and then, before Customs & Immigration, there will be a mandatory line for health questioning upon deplaning.

From what I gather, we should expect quite a delay getting out of the Beijing airport upon arrival....

See the following:

http://wwwn.cdc.gov/travel/content/news-announcements/delays-H1N1-screening.aspx

Paul :(

The State Department issued a notice that not only could you be quarantined if someone on your plane is ill, but you could be sent to a place that may not allow you to contact the outside world, and you might not have safe water and food; in other words, sub-standard environment. I called my travel agency, and they said they have not had a problem thus far but have heard of this happening. I am worried about the quality of the place of quarantine, and being cut off from contacting my family, more than even losing a vacation experience. Could you let me know how your experience went? Thanks! Have to decide whether to cancel my trip. elaine

you would actually cancel your trip becuase of the VERY slight chnace of being quarantined? :confused: i'm not concerned about it, but i did notice the insuance i bought covered this.

I am not as concerned about my insurance coverage as I am concerned about the unsanitary conditions, poor facilities, unhealthy water and food, and no contact with the outside. the notice from the State Department also indicated that the U.S. Embassy cannot intervene and help. Yes, quarantine would probably be unlikely to happen, but it is a deterrent.

Update: we have decided to go and are getting excited, in spite of the quarantine scare. There will probably be inconveniences, but this wonderful trip makes it worth dealing with even the small possibility of a problem. Our tour begins later in October, so any information from any of you will be great. elaine

you would actually cancel your trip becuase of the VERY slight chnace of being quarantined? :confused: i'm not concerned about it, but i did notice the insuance i bought covered this.

Read fine print carefully as some travel insurance policies do not cover "epidemics."

The CDC website does not seem to refer to Hong Kong, only mainland China. Does anyone know if Hong Kong airport is also using this procedure? We have tight transfer time there in December with onward flight to Singapore.

As of this time at the Hong Kong International Airport:

No health officials will board a plane to screen passengers.

All incoming travellers will be required to complete in a health declaration form distributed by the airlines. The information required include any symptoms of flu, your flight and seat number, and your contact address.

The form will be collected by officials before immigration.

All passengers arriving at the HK airport, including transit passengers, are required to have their temperature checked. This is done via infrared cameras mounted at the ceiling and you may not even notice them.

Those who have a fever will be further assessed by medical personnel, and there will be a delay if you are sick yourself.

If you are running a fever you may not be allowed to board a plane unless cleared by a doctor.

If you have influenza you will be advised to stay away from social contact and confine yourself at home, but you will not be detained, quarantined or hospitalized (unless you are very sick).

You will not be quarantined if someone on your plane is sick.

This policy, of course, is subject to change. The temperature check has been in place for years and is likely to be permanent. The health form may no longer be necessary.

It is impossible to predict what measures the Hong Kong government will implement in December, but the risk of you being delayed is very small.

• 2 weeks later...

You mentioned you have a tight transfer time in HK. How tight is it? The HK airport is absolutely HUGE and immigration processing takes about 30min in line. It took me 30 min to walk to my gate after security. The place is massive.

Archived