Stingray City for children/scares adults?

NinjaMama

Our family of 8 will be going to GC in February. MIL really wants to do Stingray City, but she and FIL have limited swimming and snorkeling ability. DS and DD are 5 and 8, but can both swim and love creepy, crawly things. Do you think they will be all okay to do Stingray City? And would you recommend a cruise tour (RCCL) or a private operator?

Thanks!

Stingray city is located on a sand bar. I jumped out of the boat to find out I was standing in the sand with chest high water (I'm 5' 6")

So you don't need much snorkeling ability. You stand there. The kids may have to tread water though. I bet they would love it anyway.

When you stand there 0the stingrays go all around you -through your legs. They are surprisingly soft to the feel. We had a littl piece of Conch that we caught earlier in the day and they swooped it up from our outstreached palm. It was way cool.

Go for it. It's an experience like no other!

Those that can't or don't want to snorkel can stay in the boat (if it makes an additional snorkel stop) and enjoy the action from there. Or, all the tour boats have lifevests, etc. and willing guides who can teach beginners how to snorkel.

If the kids like creepy crawlies, they'll be fine with the stingrays.

At Stingray City Sandbar (the main stop for the stingrays) you're on a shallow sandbar and it could be anywhere from hip-deep to chest-deep or thereabouts. If it's too deep where you're stopped, move around a bit to find a depth you're happy with.

We regularly swim in Cayman all through the winter months...and 71 is a really cold winter day there. :D

Generally, the difference between the private operators and the cruise excursions is the size of the group. Private ones tend to be a lot smaller, while the cruise excursions could have a hundred (or more) people on them. The stops are in the same location, though.

We just went to Sting Ray City the end of May. It is not a strenuous excursion at all. I have two daughters, 8 and 5. They loved it. Both are very good swimmers, but that wasn't necessary, as the water is only waist (sometimes chest) high. The 8 year old held and kissed a sting ray (big one), but the 5 year old wouldn't kiss it....petted it alot though. They loved swimming and chasing the rays around.

We used Captain Marvins....good outfit....very easy to find (walk out the cruise gates to the left...one block..booked in on my own, their website is easy to use or you can call Joan direct). They have equipment in all sizes. Most other companies had a tent inside the cruise gates, so I believe all of the tour operators would be easy to find. If you ship cannot tender,Captain Marvin's will refund your money.

We also had an additional snorkle stop at a reef. The water was about 15 feet deep. Bigger waves out there, my 5 year old had trouble snorkeling (kept getting hit by big strong waves), but the 8 year old did great.

Boatswains Beach/Turtle Farm is a great excursion too. The have a lagoon for snorkeling. We are going back in the fall and spending the day there.

• 2 weeks later...

We also used Captain Marvin's. My DGD, 4 yo, loved it. They have equipment for the young kids. At first she wouldn't get off the boat. When she saw how much fun we were having, she joined us. She even kissed the ray.

We did Captain Marvins with a group of all ages. While my 3 year old grandson and my 87 year old father did not get in the water they had a really good time. The day we went it was very rough which made everything more difficult but everyone that got in enjoyed it and those that stayed on the boat enjoyed the boat ride, watching and taking pictures. It is truly a once in a life time experience!

I hope this helps!

Enjoy!

Archived