transfers from Disney to Port

Majesty Fan

Just thought I would post some info about this. We are staying 5 nights before our Magic cruise at our DVC Kidani village but to get to the port via DCL bus is $35 per person or $70 round trip. But the bus will not pick you up until at least 1130am and allow 2 hours. So That gets me to the port at 130 at the earliest. Or I can take a rental car for about $60 they have pick up at The Hilton and Doubletree near DTD. It takes about 60 minutes to get to the port. We plan on keeping the rental car and do luggage drop off and then drop off the car and be on the ship before noon.

Lexi

Disney tansfers are seamless travel, and the chance's of being on the ship before noon are slight. I also think your drive time is off by quite a few minutes. I'm just a transfer advocate, that is not concearned about saving $50, 60, or $70 when I'm already in for $5000. I'm not wealthy, but the transfers make it so simple. The transfers are also lot's of fun, and informative, the excitement builds, then you see the ship. Don't get lost driving. Metrowon

I am a drive yourself fan. It saves time and money. It is an easy drive. If you arrive to the port around 11 am, you will be one of the 1st on. You will be able to get a pool chair, enjoy lunch, make Palo reservations and any dining changes you may need. Palo reservations usually open up around 1 PM, and fill fairly quickly. I don't disagree with metrown, but I think arriving early has more advantages. Have a great cruise!!!

Us old folks (64 & 63) are doing the one way transfers from resort to port for our Sept 6th 4 night Wonder. We don't mind getting to the port at 1:30PM. There is never a line at check-in. On the way back, we were booked with transfers for our 12:30PM flight but Continental has changed our return flight times four times, as early as 11:30 and as late as 3:20PM, so at the last change I cancelled our transfers and will rent a car so we can drive to DTD. We rented a compact from Budget for $41.50 plus gas.

We love Magicaly Express and would do the DCL transfers in a second if they left earlier. We like to make Embarkation an extra day so by getting to the port early we can do that. Don't really like other shuttles got burned in LA by 1.

Lexi

Disney tansfers are seamless travel, and the chance's of being on the ship before noon are slight. I also think your drive time is off by quite a few minutes. I'm just a transfer advocate, that is not concearned about saving $50, 60, or $70 when I'm already in for $5000. I'm not wealthy, but the transfers make it so simple. The transfers are also lot's of fun, and informative, the excitement builds, then you see the ship. Don't get lost driving. Metrowon

so what would be a closer approximate time it would take to get to the port?

Bill

I am sooo new to this. We are going on our first cruise in September- the DVC member cruise- and I am way to cheap to pay for the transfers that Disney offers. Well, not that I am cheap- but I am traveling with 3 kids- 2 of them under 2, and I cannot see paying 70.00 for each of their transfers when they sit on my lap in a bus. SO... I want to do a rental car. What companies do you suggest, and any other words of advice?

I am sooo new to this. We are going on our first cruise in September- the DVC member cruise- and I am way to cheap to pay for the transfers that Disney offers. Well, not that I am cheap- but I am traveling with 3 kids- 2 of them under 2, and I cannot see paying 70.00 for each of their transfers when they sit on my lap in a bus. SO... I want to do a rental car. What companies do you suggest, and any other words of advice?

There are Budget/Alamo rental sites on Disney property. One at the TTC and one at the big Hess station. If you rent from an off-site agency, you have to deal with getting to and from the car lots.

One mentioned that they would not pick them up at the resort til atleast 11:30am. My flight arrives in MCO at 9:30am; if I do transfers and I going to have to wait a long time for the bus to leave? or do they have different schedules than the resort transfers to the port?

If I rent a car, how do I return it at the pier (and how do I pick it up when I return)? Is there that offers free shuttles back to the pier when you drop off your car?

thanks.

The WDW bus goes straight to the port. The airport busses go straight to the port too. I heard they leave MCO when full or about every 20-30 minutes.

The rentals offer free shuttles to their offices and back to the port. One company does charge but I can't remember which one. Budget is cheap and does not charge for the shuttle.

If you rent a car..and they are under 2, won't you have the additional expense of renting child seats for them? I would also think that with 3 small kids it would be easier to get them on a bus rather than dealing with rental car shuttles, picking up/ dropping off cars etc.

I just got a car rental one way from the port to MCO for less than $40 with budget for July 16th! This will allow us to go to the Magic Kingdom before our late flight home. Thanks for the help everyone.

Our family just returned from Disney cruise on July 4th. I rented a car from Budget last November to get us to and from the Orlando Airport with a dropoff at the car rental. We had no problems with the car pickup at Orlando. Just drove to Cape Canaveral, dropped the car off and they proveded a shuttle to the ship. However, when we returned to Budget on Saturday to pick up our car, for the drive back to the airport, we were told no car was available because our car selection was never made at time of reservation. That was news to me! We had to wait until a car finally arrived from another rental place. We were told there was only 5/8's left in the gas tank, so it was up to us to fill it up to that point and show a gas receip when we returned the car at the airport. Our rental fee was also higher than we were told in Nov. Agent finally adjusted the bill, but we had to go to the counter at the airport to get the whole thing straightened out. Again, we waited in line while the airport Budget agent took his good old time talking on the phone. Would you believe, after all that, the agent redid the contract and came up with the wrong price again, saying we did not have a reservation number. Of course I showed him the reservation number we had, and the whole thing was finally corrected. Not even an apology from him. Thank goodness we had an afternoon flight out of Orlando, otherwise we would have certainly missed an earlier one with this unnecessary delay. Rest assured I would never rent again from Budget or recommend them to anyone!

One option that I haven't seen mentioned here is hiring your own transportation. Can pick sedan, van, or limo if you really want to be spoiled. Pros=tailored to your needs, no waiting, no driving, no figuring out where to drop off the car, some companies will let you have a quick stop at a store to pick up a few things, etc....

cons=not going to save you much money, unless you have a larger group.

This is what we did and nothing better than getting picked up at one door and dropped off at another.

we used Quicksilver tours and transportation and was completely satisfied.

Archived