Question re: Panama Canal cruise on Jewel of the Seas

No...you would have to take an excursion if you want to actually go through the canal. The only RCCL cruises that actually go through the canal AT THIS TIME are those that go from an Atlantic Ocean port to a Pacific Ocean port or vice versa. We were on the Jewel in April on which I believe was the last RCCL cruise to do a partial transit for now. You need to find an itinerary that states "transit canal" or "cruising canal" or some other such language.

When we were on the Jewel in December, we went through the first 3 locks on the Atlantic side. The ship anchored in Lake Gatun for several hours then came back though the same locks and docked at Cristobal (sp?) pier.

The only way to take an excursion was through RCCL while the ship was anchored in the lake. Tenders took people to the shore for their excursions. If you were not booked on an excursion you couldn't get off the ship until it docked at the pier. Lots of the excursions were to the Pacific side. Most were 6 to 8 hours long.

When we were on the Jewel in December, we went through the first 3 locks on the Atlantic side. The ship anchored in Lake Gatun for several hours then came back though the same locks and docked at Cristobal (sp?) pier.

This is no longer being done though; next season's Panama Canal cruises do not enter any of the locks (aside from the full transit cruises - i.e. cruises starting in Florida and ending on the west coast).

The only way to take an excursion was through RCCL while the ship was anchored in the lake. Tenders took people to the shore for their excursions. If you were not booked on an excursion you couldn't get off the ship until it docked at the pier. Lots of the excursions were to the Pacific side. Most were 6 to 8 hours long.

You actually mean the 3 chambers on the Gatun lock not 3 locks on Atlantic side.

Anyways, since Jewel is no longer doing partial crossings on 10 day cruises. To experience the crossing one would now have to either take the 10 day cruise and an add-on tour or take a longer cruise like the 13 day from Miami to LA or back. Crossing prices are going up drastically. This is how the cruise lines are responding.

I know the cruise lines pay a hefty fee to transit the canal.

A person would think these cruises would now be lower in price...considering they are saving the cost of the canal transit.

Are the prices on these non-transit cruises actually lower than they used to be WITH the transit?

Yes I am also concerned about this because I booked this cruise in May for January 2011 and I was told by Royal Caribbean who booked my reservation that it would go thru the first set of locks. Then I see here that it doesn't. So I called and they said they don't go thru anymore. Whet the heck??? So they don't even tell us that they changed it? I am going to keep the cruise but certainly hope they'll drop the price since they don't have to pay the crossing fare.

Yes I am also concerned about this because I booked this cruise in May for January 2011 and I was told by Royal Caribbean who booked my reservation that it would go thru the first set of locks. Then I see here that it doesn't. So I called and they said they don't go thru anymore. Whet the heck??? So they don't even tell us that they changed it? I am going to keep the cruise but certainly hope they'll drop the price since they don't have to pay the crossing fare.

It is doubtful they will drop the price because of not paying the crossing fare. They will drop the price if the cruise is not selling well at the current pricing.

I know that this thread is about Jewel of the Seas and the Panama Canal.

For anyone who has not yet done a full transit through the PC, you still have the opportunity to do so on either Serenade in the fall of 2009 or Radiance in the fall of 2010.

Serenade's schedule is a 14 day Eastbound on October 3, 2009, a 15 day Westbound on October 17, 2009 and a 13 day Eastbound on November 1, 2009.

Radiance will be doing a 15 day Eastbound on September 24, 2010.

This is truly an amazing cruise and one not to be missed if you have the opportunity and time to do it.

I know the cruise lines pay a hefty fee to transit the canal.

A person would think these cruises would now be lower in price...considering they are saving the cost of the canal transit.

Are the prices on these non-transit cruises actually lower than they used to be WITH the transit?

We did the Jewel "partial transit" cruise last November while they were still entering the lake and turning around to go back. RCI paid $200,000 for each time the Jewel did that. I agree with you, jollymom; they should be able to reduce the fares without that.

I know that this thread is about Jewel of the Seas and the Panama Canal.

For anyone who has not yet done a full transit through the PC, you still have the opportunity to do so on either Serenade in the fall of 2009 or Radiance in the fall of 2010.

Serenade's schedule is a 14 day Eastbound on October 3, 2009, a 15 day Westbound on October 17, 2009 and a 13 day Eastbound on November 1, 2009.

Radiance will be doing a 15 day Eastbound on September 24, 2010.

This is truly an amazing cruise and one not to be missed if you have the opportunity and time to do it.

Also, the Celebrity Infinity is doing this back and forth. We are going on the Infinity Nov. 22 on a 13-night San Diego to Ft. Lauderdale, and it is the same price as the 10-day Jewel (without the Panama transit).

When we booked our Nov09 one it was a panama canal cruise, it then changed to a caribbean cruise. We left it booked since we still can do a trip and get to see some of the canal. My friend did the transit one in April and said it was good to go thru the locks.

Archived