Methods of payment for driver/guide service

How is the best way to pay for the guide services we have booked in Italy? At 550 euro each day...will the ATM give you that much? What if there is a problem with it? What about travelers checks for them in euros or dollars? Looks like they will not take a credit card...or will they?

Thanks, Steve

Voyager of the Seas Oct 11th 2009

Steve-What we did 2 yrs. ago with our tour company in Rome was to use Euro traveller's cheques. If you're a member of CAA(in Canada)or AAA,these are free of charge. All you do is take in the euros and they give you the TC's.

Although I treated them like cash,you do have the security of knowing that if something happens, you can get new ones and no one else can use them as you don't sign them beforehand.

That's what worked for us :) Shelly

I would definitely check with the service you are using before you go so this is worked out with them in advance.

I would also recommend that you contact your bank to determine your daily withdrawal limit. I was able to withdraw that amount because I have a high withdrawal limit with my card. The bank can typically increase your limit if need be.

Of course, you can also order euros before you go. I order through Wells Fargos website as they have a decent exchange rate and only charge a flat shipping fee. Next time I go I will likely just order all the euros I need through them as my card charges a percentage on withdrawals instead of the flat fee.

Steve-What we did 2 yrs. ago with our tour company in Rome was to use Euro traveller's cheques. If you're a member of CAA(in Canada)or AAA,these are free of charge. All you do is take in the euros and they give you the TC's.

Although I treated them like cash,you do have the security of knowing that if something happens, you can get new ones and no one else can use them as you don't sign them beforehand.

That's what worked for us :) Shelly

If you can cash them on the ship, then that would work well. If you have to give them directly to the tour operator, I would double-check that they will accept travelers' checks. Some will but others won't. Travelers' checks are pretty much unloved in Europe - in Euros or Dollars.

Lisa

How is the best way to pay for the guide services we have booked in Italy? At 550 euro each day...will the ATM give you that much? What if there is a problem with it? What about travelers checks for them in euros or dollars? Looks like they will not take a credit card...or will they?

Thanks, Steve

Voyager of the Seas Oct 11th 2009

Almost all guides/drivers prefer cash in Euro or Euro Travels checques. You should ask them that.

As to ATM, regardless of what YOUR bank limits are many ATMs in Europe also have seperate per transacations or other limits. I don't think you'll be able to get close to 500 Euros from a single withdraw, expect 250 tops.

I'd avoid taking USD or checks and trying to cash on the ship as the rates could be very unfavorable. It was so on our Princess ship.

If you really needs a large sum, thousands?, the simplest thing is to exchange at home and carry it over in a moneybelt. Once on the ship throw it in the safe and you can save your valuable port time for sightseeing versus looking for multiple ATMs. Personally I thought about multiple ATMs then if you think thru do you really want to be searching for ATMs during a busy port day with your guide to pay him :confused:

Enjoy Rome, with a private driver/guide you've picked the right/smart approach :D

It is of the UTMOST importance that you have a very clear understanding with your particular tour company on this subject. DO NOT take the opinion of anybody on this board about what they did in a particular situation. It may or may not apply to your situation.

Most companies have a clear policy and will state it in their confirmation emails. Be sure you understand it.

We usually simply carry enough Euros to pay in cash, and like to get our Euros in advance through our Travel Agent. We might pay a couple of percentage points more but it is convenient and safe. ATMs, or the Purser's Desk on the ship, are good ways to get currency exchanged EXCEPT for the small chance that they will not be working or will run out of currency just when you need it most.

If you and your spouse each take your ATM card with you, you easily can get 500 Euros at one ATM stop. Also, you can have your local bank temporarily increase your per day allowance for the few weeks you are traveling. Unless you are taking an enormous number of private tours, simply use ATM's. Also, any local private tour operator will be more than happy to stop at one for you to withdraw the payment needed on your way back to the ship.

We used ATM's exclusively for our tour payments on our just-completed Athens to Rome cruise, and had no problem at all getting sufficient funds.

Archived