Quick, which side passes Lady Liberty on Explorer?

New York is a big harbor as you've discovered and the lady in the harbor is just off of Manhattan island, you'll only pass it if you dock in NY city (Brooklyn & Manhattan), and then you always pass it on the eastern side, as the west side of Liberty island is very shallow.

If you really want to see her up close you can catch the ferry to the statue from Jersey city which isn't all that far from Bayonne.

We cruised from Bayonne last April on the Explorer. We went two days before the cruise, had a wonderful tour of NYC on the "New York Party Shuttle" which included a Staten Island Ferry ride both directions. We got some great pictures of the Lady at that time. For sailaway out of Bayonne we had a Cruise Critic Sailaway Party in the Viking Crown Lounge. Great views going under the bridge, even though we were in a deep fog by that time. Our balcony time was better spent once we were in the warmer waters by Florida and in the Caribbean. It was a great cruise, btw.

Here are the pictures from our NYC tour the day before our cruise:

http://travel.webshots.com/album/563234461thEzzB

Michele...

we had an aft corner on Navigator (7688).

Loved it! I wasn't in love with that superstructure surrounding most of those cabins...but you quicky learn to look past it. Your cabin being up higher...it may not be a factor. (I forget)

I would think...even out of NJ...

being that close to such a piece of AMERICANA...the Capt/ ship would INTENTIONALLY pass closer for pics/views.

WHY NOT?

They are THE NATION OF WHY NOT afterall! :D

Thanks Sunny! I am loving the NYC signs you captured - "DON'T EVEN THINK OF PARKING HERE!"

LMBO!!!! Only in New York! :D That's great!

I was doubled over laughing in the street! We made it a point to look for the crazy signs after we saw that one!:D

The monument is so close to the Explorer dock that you will want to be on the starboard side at sail away. Once you've hit the river...you've missed it. But the good news is, you will have another chance to see it on your return to Bayonne. Happy Sailing.

9/11 Memorial,  Bayonne NJ Cruise Terminal

Archived