Quick, which side passes Lady Liberty on Explorer?

I am getting my cabin finalized on Explorer, which side faces Lady Liberty during sailaway? The cruise is going to Bermuda.

I know that our cruise out of NYC, it was the right side (starboard), but I don't know if it's different coming from Bayonne.

Anyone been on Explorer, which is the best side to see Liberty (and I know UP TOP) but I may grab a balcony on the side facing too. Just in case. :D:D:D

You don't actually sail past the Statue of Liberty on Explorer. She is to the 'north' I believe of port and the ship leaves to the southeast. You can see her kinda from the port, but its not right there! I do have some pics from when we went last year and will post if I can find them quickly.

You don't actually sail past the Statue of Liberty on Explorer. She is to the 'north' I believe of port and the ship leaves to the southeast. You can see her kinda from the port, but its not right there! I do have some pics from when we went last year and will post if I can find them quickly.

I found this picture, it looks like the port side sailed past, but maybe not?

EXPLORER of the SEAS in New York, USA. 2007

This pic of the lady in the harbor was taken before the Explorer sailed. The camera is a superzoom and the magnification was at least 12X, it is really not that close to the ship. You will see it on the port side as you sail.

IMO, the only place to be on the sailaway out of Bayonne is on the top decks, there is too much going on to be hidden away on a balcony, including passing just under the VN Bridge.

2480225160096246620S600x600Q85.jpg

Even closer, very hazy day.

2222026870096246620S600x600Q85.jpg

Thanks everyone, I took a Corner Aft on Deck 10. I kept going back and forth between Hump and Aft...after your responses, I just went for AFT.

I just got off the phone with C&A, balcony discount has been applied. We are confirmed. Woohooo!!!! :D

THANKS ALL!

I am getting my cabin finalized on Explorer, which side faces Lady Liberty during sailaway? The cruise is going to Bermuda.

I know that our cruise out of NYC, it was the right side (starboard), but I don't know if it's different coming from Bayonne.

Anyone been on Explorer, which is the best side to see Liberty (and I know UP TOP) but I may grab a balcony on the side facing too. Just in case. :D:D:D

Hi Michele! Long time no see, LOL

I say don't waste your time in your cabin or on your balcony during sailway...get out on the upper decks...or you will miss going under the bridge and seeing all the other ships, the Staten Island Ferry, etc.

The Statue of Liberty is way far off in the distance, anyway.

Happy sails and stop back to your old rollcall to say hi anytime!:)

Thanks everyone, I took a Corner Aft on Deck 10. I kept going back and forth between Hump and Aft...after your responses, I just went for AFT.

Hope you snagged the covetted 1688!

Yes, you can see Lady Liberty on the port, but she is wee, and is now dwarfed by those buildings in Jersey City.

Coming back, the ship actually turns around and sails in backwards, so being aft, it's like your sailing right in front.

Regardless, you really want to be up top at sailaway, cause you hit the VNB pretty quick, and all the activity is going on up there. Although, one of these times, I'd like to see what it's like to be on the bow.

As you are pulling out you should make sure you are on starboard to see the "teardrop" monument

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/4172808

Where, in relation to the boat, is this monument? Can it be seen as soon as we start sailing, or do we sail a bit first? I have never seen nor heard of it before. Is it as far from the boat as "The Statue of Liberty"? Will I be squinting to find it or will it be right there? I am going on the Explorer in January 2010, so I don't need to know right away, but I am always interested to know what I can see from the ship that's either interesting, or something I simply haven't seen before. Like this past January when I was on the 9 night on the Explorer. Before we left port, we got to see the plane that went down in the Hudson. I took a few photos and even included it in my official homemade cruise DVD.

Where, in relation to the boat, is this monument? Can it be seen as soon as we start sailing, or do we sail a bit first? I have never seen nor heard of it before. Is it as far from the boat as "The Statue of Liberty"? Will I be squinting to find it or will it be right there? I am going on the Explorer in January 2010, so I don't need to know right away, but I am always interested to know what I can see from the ship that's either interesting, or something I simply haven't seen before. Like this past January when I was on the 9 night on the Explorer. Before we left port, we got to see the plane that went down in the Hudson. I took a few photos and even included it in my official homemade cruise DVD.

It's within a couple of minute of sailaway, at the end of the strip of land where the pier is.

DSC00180.jpg

Is 1688 more coveted than 1388? Since 1688 wasn't available I grabbed 1388. :)

Other than it's starboard, no, but you certainly won't see the SOL from that side until you are parallel and "passed" her.

If you look at my review below in my siggie, I and others have some pics of the room and such.

We just took the Explorer and had a hump port cabin. We could see her from our balcony without binoculars. But if you have a day in NY, you can take the Staten Island ferry (it's free) and it passes right by her and Ellis Island. It also sails by the Explorer if she's in port.

I took this from the ferry showing the Explorer and the statue.

PC120260.jpg.0c963616318a0cf0732fbe0c1734bfef.jpg

Other than it's starboard, no, but you certainly won't see the SOL from that side until you are parallel and "passed" her.

If you look at my review below in my siggie, I and others have some pics of the room and such.

Yeah I gave up on the idea of seeing Liberty from a cabin balcony, I'll just head up top. :) Seems like everyone is saying it's the best anyway.

So when I saw 1388 open, I grabbed it so I could spend the rest of the cruise on the balcony. :D I have seen your pics and Merion Moms' pics of that cabin, so I knew it was a good one to grab. ;)

Thanks everyone!!!!

Yeah I gave up on the idea of seeing Liberty from a cabin balcony, I'll just head up top. :) Seems like everyone is saying it's the best anyway.

So when I saw 1388 open, I grabbed it so I could spend the rest of the cruise on the balcony. :D I have seen your pics and Merion Moms' pics of that cabin, so I knew it was a good one to grab. ;)

Thanks everyone!!!!

I grew up on Long Island. Would recommend you visit Liberty Island before or after your cruise via the Ferry. Another fun thing to do with kids is the Monster Boats that sail from the Manhattan Pier and have a water fight right in front of Lady Liberty

Another fun thing to do with kids is the Monster Boats that sail from the Manhattan Pier and have a water fight right in front of Lady Liberty

Agreed. More than just a boring Circle Line tour!

nealstuber - yep, we just did this with the kids in December. It was bitterly cold so looking back on it now, we were crazy...but it was great to actually be out there on the island...

But "Monster Boat" - haven't heard of that one...off to look now, thanks!

010.jpg

nealstuber - yep, we just did this with the kids in December. It was bitterly cold so looking back on it now, we were crazy...but it was great to actually be out there on the island...

Look for it under THE BEAST!

the_beast.jpg.b29cdac2cfd57ec1361e58b3c39ffcba.jpg

010.jpg

I think its run by the same folks who do the Circle Line.

Archived