Travelling with minor question

My hubby and I will be travelling with his 12 yr old son (my stepson) to the caribbean (hopefully...have not booked yet). My husband is not the custodial parent, his name is not on the Birth Certificate, and they do not share the same last names. (They were never married and do not get along). However, we have documentation that says my hubby is the father..paternity test, military dependent enrollment forms, court visitation orders, custody legal proceedings...etc.. (We are working on adding the name to the BC) As the two parents do not really get along, we would prefer not to have to ask for a notarized letter from the mom.

Anyone out there travelled in a similar situation? Just curious as to how you dealt with it! Thanks!

Hi!

I've not been in the situation, but here's what I found on Carnival's web site:

"

When traveling with a minor and both parents/legal guardians are not cruising, we strongly recommend bringing an original signed letter from the absent parent/legal guardian authorizing the minor to travel with you. This will expedite processing by the Department of Homeland Security. Please note that a notarized letter to this effect is required if debarking with children in Mexico. "

http://www.carnival.com/cms/FAQs/Minor_Guests_and_Pregnancy_Policy.aspx

Although I am the custodial parent of my minor daughter, I still had to have a notarized letter from my ex. One time it was required upon check in and then next cruise it was never mentioned. Your best bet is to have one "just in case"

Happy Cruzin!

Karen

I called Carnival today and the lady I spoke with said all we need is his Birth Certificate and "the letter". Now all we have to do is get that letter! Easier said than done.....everyone keep your fingers crossed! We may as well create peace in the Middle East!

My hubby and I will be travelling with his 12 yr old son (my stepson) to the caribbean (hopefully...have not booked yet). My husband is not the custodial parent, his name is not on the Birth Certificate, and they do not share the same last names. (They were never married and do not get along). However, we have documentation that says my hubby is the father..paternity test, military dependent enrollment forms, court visitation orders, custody legal proceedings...etc.. (We are working on adding the name to the BC) As the two parents do not really get along, we would prefer not to have to ask for a notarized letter from the mom.

Anyone out there travelled in a similar situation? Just curious as to how you dealt with it! Thanks!

U.S. Customs and Homeland Security REQUIRES a notarized letter from the custodial parent giving the noncustodial parent permission to take the child outside the U.S.

Carnival will require this document upon checkin. If you don't have it, you will be denied boarding.

It's also a good idea to get a separate letter from the custodial parent to make medical decisions for the minor child...just in case. The child will not be medically treated without it...except emergency life-saving practices.

These measures are to prevent child abductions and they are very strict.....

U.S. Customs and Homeland Security REQUIRES a notarized letter from the custodial parent giving the noncustodial parent permission to take the child outside the U.S.

Carnival will require this document upon checkin. If you don't have it' date=' you will be denied boarding.[/color']

It's also a good idea to get a separate letter from the custodial parent to make medical decisions for the minor child...just in case. The child will not be medically treated without it...except emergency life-saving practices.

This is not a true statement at all......I have personally brought the letter for my minor children and also grand children when travelling w/out both or either parents. Out of over 12 cruises taken with unaccompanied minors, only on 1 occassion was I asked for it at time of checkin at pier.

It is better to be safe than sorry, but it is not always asked for and I am certain several other members will back me up on this as well regarding being denied boarding the ship.

To the OP... here is a copy of the letter I use:

CONSENT FOR MINOR CHILDREN TO TRAVEL

Date:_____________________

I (we):______________________________________________________________

authorize my/our minor child(ren):___________________________________________

to travel to:_________________________________ on:_________________________

aboard Airline/Flight Number:________________________________________

and/or Cruise Ship:_____________________________________________ with:

____________________________________________________________. Their expected

date of return is _______________________.

In addition, I (we) authorize:______________________________________ to consent

to any necessary routine or emergency medical treatment during the aforementioned trip.

Signed:_________________________________ (Parent)

Signed:_________________________________ (Parent)

Address:________________________________________

Telephone:______________________________________

Sworn to and signed before me, a Notary Public,

this _______ day of _______________, 20____

Notary Public Signature and Seal

You have a very unique situation. Only rarely is the letter required, but your case is very different than the ordinary one.

You have the father traveling with a child without any proof on his birth certificate or passport that the child is his. I realize that you have the other documents but they may not be sufficient.

In this case, because the father is not on the BC and the child is traveling without the mother, you are going to need the letter and arriving at the pier without it is a disaster waiting to happen.

<edited>

G'ma,

Do you know if the CUSTODIAL parent is required to get this letter from the non-custodial parent? The cruise we want to take her on is on the custodial parent's weekend, and wouldn't interfere with the non-custodial's visitation.

(My brother has had residential custody of his 2 yr old daughter since the baby was 11 months old, but shares joint legal custody with his ex-wife. She is a &$*%& and he hasn't spoken to her since he filed for divorce. She has visitation, but an intercessor does the exchanges. It's gonna be a booger getting her to sign a letter...)

Are we out of luck?

Thanks for any insight...and of course, we will consult the lawyer, too. Just thought you might have some insight in your many years of being a TA.

PS...we're only going to Cozumel, and the baby will not be debarking the ship. She will stay aboard with her grandparents.

~Stir

Angela you said you had military enrollment forms Does the child have a military ID card because if he does it will have his fathers name as a sponsor on it it also says (S son) on it next to the childs name. This may help you also

(My brother has had residential custody of his 2 yr old daughter since the baby was 11 months old, but shares joint legal custody with his ex-wife. She is a &$*%& and he hasn't spoken to her since he filed for divorce. She has visitation, but an intercessor does the exchanges. It's gonna be a booger getting her to sign a letter...)

The only time a consent form is not needed is if the parent taking the child on the cruise has full soul custody and is prepaired to show those custody papers if asked.

In your brothers case, he will need to get a consent form signed.

Good luck!

No Pammycakes...no military id card for the son. My husband has been out of the military now for about 10 years.

We went to the local County Gov't. Health Dept. office today to submit forms to get a birth certificate. That may or may not go through and we may be at the mercy of the custodial mother for that too.

Hopefully we will be able to get the notarized permission letter. When we asked my stepson what HE wanted to do, the cruise was it. So for him, I hope we are able to get it. I really would be stressed not having it, and would never attempt to go on the cruise without it. So we will try to get the letter! I will keep you all posted in case you are interested.

The mother is denying us to take him. However the court appointed guardian thinks it is a great idea. Mother does not know this yet. Do they really check for the letter? I am grasping at straws now...help please!!!!

Its a hit or miss on someone asking for a letter, But I think they would be more apt to ask being the child does not have the same last name as his father and he is not even on the BC.

You could possible talk to the court Guardian, you may be able to bypass Mom and get permission from a judge, i have heard of this being done.

If i was in your circumstance, i wouldn't even attempt trying to thy boarding without a letter, you could be denied boarding and will lose all that money you spent on the cruise fare.

The mother is denying us to take him. However the court appointed guardian thinks it is a great idea. Mother does not know this yet. Do they really check for the letter? I am grasping at straws now...help please!!!!

Is the child currently in the custody of the mother or the court-appointed guardian? (Or is it a guardian-advocate type situation where this person is appointed by the court to speak for the child independent of the parents?)

If worse comes to worse ... lawyer up. Take the custodial mother to court and make her answer before a judge.

Your husband needs to be very careful about this. If he does not have signed consent from the mother and he takes his son out of the country without her writter permission, she may use this against him regarding custody.

You are going to have to go back to court and get a judges OK.

If you can't get her to sign the letter, or get a judge's ok (with the help of the court guardian) DO NOT GO! All it would take is one phone call from the mother that her son had been KIDNAPPED and your husband would be in the middle of a nightmare! Not to mention what it would do to the boy's mental health.

I wish you luck. It bothers me a lot when parents deny their children world experiences just to get back at the ex!

Aloha,

Kathy

I called Carnival today and the lady I spoke with said all we need is his Birth Certificate and "the letter". Now all we have to do is get that letter! Easier said than done.....everyone keep your fingers crossed! We may as well create peace in the Middle East!

If you need a letter, I'd probably try to get her to sign and notarize the form indicating he can get a passport (it's online). That way you'd have it for the future.

If you need a letter, I'd probably try to get her to sign and notarize the form indicating he can get a passport (it's online). That way you'd have it for the future.

That is not really true. The letter must specifically say when he is going, returning, etc.

You can't keep one forever.

I did call Carnival and talked to Jerrard. He checked with his supervisor for me as Mom is unwilling to sign a letter for us. Jerrard says the notarized letter is "recommended", not REQUIRED. In fact, he states that as long as the minor child is staying in the SAME CABIN, there is no problem with not having the letter. I asked him several times, are you sure??? He says YES. AND we only need any notarized / official copy of the birth certificate. In SC we have two forms, a short (no parents listed) and a long (everything). We can have either.

Just on a side note, for anyone who may find themselves in this situation....we have been trying to get my husband's name on the birth cert. for years..mom says no. We are currently involved in pursuing custody, so we have discovered that mom has no grounds to say no....would have to contest paternity, and of course support goes with paternity. So we are having that done asap.

Even though we really don't NEED the letter now, we are going through "legal" channels, as the guardian is now involved and supports us. My attorney says we can also get a court order to have her produce what we need. Of course all this costs money.... but at least our hands are not so tied up now!

I did call Carnival and talked to Jerrard. He checked with his supervisor for me as Mom is unwilling to sign a letter for us. Jerrard says the notarized letter is "recommended", not REQUIRED. In fact, he states that as long as the minor child is staying in the SAME CABIN, there is no problem with not having the letter. I asked him several times, are you sure??? He says YES. AND we only need any notarized / official copy of the birth certificate. In SC we have two forms, a short (no parents listed) and a long (everything). We can have either.

All i have to say is that Jerrard is wrong in the fact that he did not say this letter could be asked for by port authorities (HLS) also.

The letter is not only for Carnival but for Homeland Security.

You will need the BC with the watermark or official seal.

This is from Homeland security:

Minor traveling with one parent: If a minor child is traveling with only one parent, the absent parent is recommended to provide notarized consent. If only one parent has legal custody, that parent should be prepared to provide a court order of child custody to international authorities.

Minor with a different last name: If a child traveling has a different last name from the mother and/or father, the parents should be prepared to provide evidence to official authorities, such as a birth certificate or adoption decree, to prove that they are the parents.

Also...If your DH has visitation, usually there is some kind of clause in the paperwork that states the child can not be taken out of the state without the custodial parents written permission, if this is in the paperwork, DH could be charges with kidnapping.

Please make sure this isn't the case.

Just trying to cover all the bases.

Angelia,

This issue comes up from time to time on this board. You will get a lot of replies from the good hearted, but most do not know the difference between custodial vs non custodial, parenting time, custody issues etc. In addition and no offense to Carnival, but they don't have a clue when you call them on the issue and you will not get a straight answer. The Homeland Security document is clear, but this does not help you in your situation as Mother will not grant permission.

I am a fathers rights advocate. At times I assist mothers as well.

There are two issues here - one relating to getting the child past Carnival at embarkation/Homeland Security and a state issue. The Carnival part is easy and the state part is not.

Be very wary of Mother because you MUST have her permission to take the child out of the country. If she will not grant permission and it were my case, I would write the Mother a certified letter RRR advising her of your wishes and give her 15 days to provide you with written permission. If she balks, you can file your own petition in Family Court/Domestic Relations court in the matter. Ask the court to grant an order allowing travel on the cruise. Yes the court will have seen this before.

If this is in SC, find a local non-profit parenting group to help you draft the Motion along with the Order.

I hope this helps.

Angelia,

This issue comes up from time to time on this board. You will get a lot of replies from the good hearted, but most do not know the difference between custodial vs non custodial, parenting time, custody issues etc. In addition and no offense to Carnival, but they don't have a clue when you call them on the issue and you will not get a straight answer. The Homeland Security document is clear, but this does not help you in your situation as Mother will not grant permission.

I am a fathers rights advocate. At times I assist mothers as well.

There are two issues here - one relating to getting the child past Carnival at embarkation/Homeland Security and a state issue. The Carnival part is easy and the state part is not.

Be very wary of Mother because you MUST have her permission to take the child out of the country. If she will not grant permission and it were my case, I would write the Mother a certified letter RRR advising her of your wishes and give her 15 days to provide you with written permission. If she balks, you can file your own petition in Family Court/Domestic Relations court in the matter. Ask the court to grant an order allowing travel on the cruise. Yes the court will have seen this before.

If this is in SC, find a local non-profit parenting group to help you draft the Motion along with the Order.

I hope this helps.

This is exactly what needs to happen.

Angelina, if you take the child out of state, without appropriate permission, it could end up with both you and your husband spending time in jail for any myriad number of offenses ranging from custodial interference to kidnapping.

This is one of those cases where you have to have the legal system involved.

My husband and I just cruised on the Carnival Destiny to Key West and Mexico with our granddaughter - 12 yrs old, different last name. We had a signed notarized letter from our daughter and son-in-law and was never asked to see it or any questions whatsoever about this child - and she is very petite for her age, does not look 12. I don't know if that's usual or unusual....

Archived