Zip Lock Bags

Do I need them? IF so what can they be used for and what size?

I use zip lock bags constantly while I'm on any vacation. I use different sizes for different things but they are especially good to keep anything that could possibly spill. Shampoo, makeup etc won't get all over everything if you have it in a zip lock bag, even if the bottle breaks or leaks. They great too to keep small things together and makes them easier to find.

Their uses are limitless and once you start packing them you won't know how you survived without them!

I take quart, gallon, and the extra large size bags. I use them for carrying sun-screen or anything that may leak. I use them for getting items from the buffet (that are not on the room service menu) for eating later in our cabin. I use the large one to keep the capers, receipts, etc. I use the gallon size to pack wet swim-suits. All of my OTC medicine is stored in a gallon bag, that is kept in my carry-on for last minute travel.

Size depends on what you want to use them for.

Some people use the gallon and 2.5 gallon sizes in much the same fashion as "packing cubes". I've read of parents who, when packing for their younger children, pack each day's outfit in a separate gallon bag. I've read of women who pack their unmentionables in them, figuring that the TSA can see through the bag and won't be pawing through them.

Some people use the quart and gallon sizes to pack liquid items which might leak (and if you intend to have any liquid items in your airline carry-on, be aware of the 3-1-1 rule).

Ziplock bags are handy to have if you have any wet or extremely dirty/smelly clothes when you're packing your suitcase to come home. Or if you're going to pack a bottle of rum or tequila in the middle of your checked bag. Or if you're out on an excursion and it starts raining and you want to protect your camera....

Gallon Size - Make Up, Deodorant

DIRTY Socks, Underwear!!

Also I put my Medication in there as well. Totally worth it and makes more room in your luggage for other stuff like Booze!!

I use them all the time too. Once I had a nail polish leak (from air pressure of flyng I think) and thank goodness it was in a ziplock. I use one for my jewerly, charging cords, medication, store liquids in and recently someone suggested using one to put my Kindle reading device in to protect from water and sand.

I don't leave home without ziplocks :).

We use them to carry our medicines in and all our toiletries, especially things that can spill. I also use them for small items that go in the suitcase so they aren't all over the suitcase and are all in one spot.

I have heard of people with small children packing a day's outfit in a gallon baggie so the child just has to grab the baggie and get dressed.

I've read of parents who, when packing for their younger children, pack each day's outfit in a separate gallon bag.

Yep. I'd fall into that category. My daughter is 3, and I pack each complete outfit for her, including socks and underwear in a ziploc, then label each with the date and, if necessary, occassion (e.g. "6/26, play clothes" "6/27 dinner" or even "spare").

I then pack all the latest dates in the suitcase first, so they're at the bottom and the ones to be used first at the top. That way, if hubby dresses our daughter on any given morning, he doesn't just reach in for any old mis-matched shirt and top (clean or dirty).

It's also a handy trick for grabbing a "spare" outfit to toss in the stroller basket when we go on excursions and/or to the beach. It allows DD to have a clean set of clothes to change into if she needs it, and it also gives us a place to keep her wet bathing suit while we're in port.

I also keep our aerosol sunscreen in a ziploc, just in case of leakage.

Plus, if you have a balcony cabin, you can keep a pair of binocculars in a ziploc outside on your balcony and not have to worry about them fogging up when you're ready to use them.

As I pack for my trip I put all undies in a baggie, shorts in a baggie, swim suits in a baggie, ect. When I put things away once in the cabin, it is a breeze! Just grab a baggie and put away in the drawers. This keeps clothes from getting wrinkled. I also put my hanging clothes on hangers in a bag from the dry cleaners. This way no wrinkles and I just pull out of the suitcase and hang in the closet. I leave the hangers in the closet when I leave as I don't need them any more and that leaves space for things I buy on the trip. You can use the baggies at the end of the trip the same way (wet clothes, dirty clothes, Clean clothes that never got worn will stay clean)!

Do you NEED them? No. People have packed for years without them. That being said, once you start using them, you'll never look back. You will find more and more uses for them every time. I keep, at all times, a good dozen fresh bags in my suitcase. They take up no room and you never know when one will come in handy. Lots of good suggestions and they are just the tip of the iceberg.

They're one of the most useful things I pack. One thing I use them for is to put all of my undergarments and swim suits in...and then compress all of the air out. It frees up a lot of space in my suitcase. Then, at the end of the trip, you can put your dirty or wet clothes in there.

We also use them for seashells, snacks, odds and ends, and many, many other uses!

Like many others said - once you start packing them, you wonder how you ever travelled without them!!

Ashley :)

I agree with everyone else. I'm sure you can do fine without them, but they certainly come in handy, and I'm always glad I have them. Especially with kids. I actually pack all of our clothes except the hanging bag in them. I use them like the space saver vacuum bags. I get the 2.5 gallon slide lock size( but regular zipper works fine, too), put quite a few items of clothing in, seal it about 2/3 of the way, then squeeze all the air out and finish closing it. It saves alot of space!

And I pack lots of empty ones in various sizes. I used them to put shells in, cookies, bottles that might leak, dirty/wet clothes. I can't think what else, but I'm always finding something to use one for--saying "Wait a minute--I've got a baggie in here we could use. . . "

BTW, I also now try to carry a couple of small hard plastic tupperware/ rubbermaid containers. You can always pack stuff in them so they don't really take up more room, and they are useful if you buy something that you don't want to get broken/crushed.

I use them for my cameras and camcorder when the weather is rainy. The video looks a little hazy, but it works for me. If your cabin is as cold as my DH likes it, everytime I go out on the balcony to take a picture, the lens fogs up.

I just finished taking a photography class that said to keep them in a zip lock bag and the baggie will get the condensation on it, not the lens. I read about the binocculars in the string and it seems to work for them. I can't wait to try it in Sept. when we go.

a couple of other things -

keep your purchased pictures waterproof (maybe put a stronger cardboard piece in there to prevent bending)

keep other paper items in one place for easy access

keep your camera, charger, extra memory card, cords, etc in one place for an easy grab

the list is only as limited as to your imagination and what you pack, going & coming.

I LOVE my zippies. I pack the casual clothes for myself and hubby in them. One complete outfit per bag. Compress out the air and throw them in the suitcase. I just grab a bag each morning and I'm dressed in 5 minutes. I'm not a fashion bug so the less time I spend getting dressed the more time I have to VACATION.

I really like that I just throw the dirty clothes in the bag and every couple days throw the bags in my suitcase. Easy unpacking and packing.

I can't wait to start stuffing my zippies.

First time we ever heard about using zip baggies was on a packing tip thread on CC. That was several years ago when we took our first cruise, and now we don't pack for anything without them.

As others have suggested, they are great for toiletries that can break. We separate by wet & dry and ne'er the two shall meet! It's an awesome tip, and I even got my sister hooked on a recent trip to visit her. She goes to the beach A LOT and now uses the baggies AND has her girls doing the same. Wondering how any of us ever managed to travel without them!!

In addition, it makes going thru airport security so much easier. Just whip out your baggie of liquids for the TSA to see and no need for them to rummage thru your suitcases unless the xray shows something suspicious.

I always use ziplocs when packing for all of the reasons mentioned. HOWEVER...now that airlines have such stingy weight restrictions be careful when using the ziploc bags like "space saver" packing bags.

• Because you can compress all of the air from the bag it takes up a lot less space.
  • Because it takes up a lot less space you can pack a lot more in the luggage.
  • Because you pack a lot more...next thing you know you are over the weight limit. :eek:

I will always use the ziplocs...I just have to be more careful about how much I load into the suitcase. When I get home from a trip I store all of the bags (new & used, but clean) in my luggage so they are ready for the next trip.

Archived