Afraid to swim with Stingrays??????

BellaBaci4

It looks like the rays' tails touch you at times. I thought this was where the barb was.

The tails touch you in the same way that a dog's tail touches you when it's wagging too close to you. It's more a light "thwack" than anything else. :D The tails are a bit scaly, though, and can scrape a bit when the stingrays are excited, so I tend to wear a t-shirt and board shorts rather than a swimsuit that leaves a lot of skin exposed.

Then again, we always take lots of squid with us, so we tend to have a dozen or more stingrays mobbing us for snacks. ;) It's not nearly as chaotic when you're with one of the tour groups. There are far more people and a lot less squid to go around, so the stingrays don't create as much of a mob scene...

This is the second thread regarding the stingrays which stated you must go in the water in your bare feet. I want to do this tour, but I also never go in the ocean anymore without wearing my water shoes. Do the tour guides give a reason why you have to be bare foot? Would love to know.

As others have said, it's so you don't accidentally step on a stingray and injure it. But don't worry...it's perfectly safe to go without shoes there. The sandbar is made up of gorgeous soft sand...there's no rocks, weeds or anything else (other than stingrays) that you could step on.

We went in 2006, only a short time after Steve's untimely death. There were four adults and a 2 year old in our party, and it was the most wonderful thing we have ever experienced.

My husband was worried, but I was scared out of my mind. But, when they were all around us, it was so unreal and special. They are actually very soft and extremely friendly.

When I was watching the video, I noticed some little boats in the background.

My husband wants to do an excursion on those, but do they also go to the sand bar with the stingrays????

That would be so kool if it does... we'll be going this October!!!

When I was watching the video, I noticed some little boats in the background.

My husband wants to do an excursion on those, but do they also go to the sand bar with the stingrays????

That would be so kool if it does... we'll be going this October!!!

Are you talking about the group of white zodiak-type boats? If so, yes, I think that's another tour option. Can't remember off-hand which company offers it, but I think it's the same one that does the waverunner excursions.

Are you talking about the group of white zodiak-type boats? If so, yes, I think that's another tour option. Can't remember off-hand which company offers it, but I think it's the same one that does the waverunner excursions.

Awesome!!!!

Thank you for the quick reply.

My hubby really wants to do that tour with the little zodiak boats, and when I read about swimming with the sting rays, I wanted to that too! I suggested it to my hubby and he was totally against it, he thinks its too dangerous.

So, now I see we can do both, woohoo!!!!! :D

I can't wait.

We're doing this in September. I'm terrified. (I even get nervous when I'm snorkeling or wading and the fish nibble on me!) Everyone on the boards swears by this excursion, and the girlfriend really, really wants to do it, so I'm going to give it a try.

--Michelle

OMG I thought I was the only one!! I went in so scared, but I am really glad that I did it!I learned a quote from my tutu kane (grandma) a long tim ago that I use from time to time...

“Each time we face our fear, we gain strength, courage, and confidence in the doing.”

- unknown

I say do it - face your fear and you will be glad that you did!

My sister picked our last cruise just so we could interact with the stingrays. I didn't want to admit that I was totally not enthusiatic about it at all. I consider myself pretty brave, but swimming with rays didn't sound like much fun to me. Anyway, I went and loved the rays. It was a ton of fun and didn't seem unsafe at all. Since the rays are swimming around, it would be extremely difficult to actually step on one. When they are swimming around, their tails are not really a issue. They are realy fascinating creatures and not the lest bit intimidating.

Archived