Athens and Acropolis museum

We have booked a the Celebrity tour Taste of Athens while we are there in July. (We'll be on the Solstice that departs Rome on July 6). Because of the opening of the new Acropolis museum, we wanted to make sure that we saw that as well. I just purchased tickets for the 2-4 time slot for the museum since the tour said that there were the last 3 hours free. The ship departs at 6:00-- is this plan possible or should I try to change my tour?

You arrive in Athens at 8, so the tour probably won't get under way until closer to 9. It's a 7 hour tour, so they'll likely have you back around 4. With a 2-4 time slot, it could mean about 1 hour at the museum before you have to get back to the bus. Is there an option for a 1-3 time slot?

You arrive in Athens at 8, so the tour probably won't get under way until closer to 9. It's a 7 hour tour, so they'll likely have you back around 4. With a 2-4 time slot, it could mean about 1 hour at the museum before you have to get back to the bus. Is there an option for a 1-3 time slot?

There was no option for that, but we thought we could go to the cafeteria there and grab something to eat and then go in. Do you have any idea how far it is from there to the boat if we decide to get back to the boat on our own instead of with the tour?

Do you have any idea how far it is from there to the boat if we decide to get back to the boat on our own instead of with the tour?

It's about 7 miles I think .. would you be going by taxi or metro? There's a metro stop next to the museum...you would take it to Omonia station and transfer to the green line to Piraeus. At Piraeus, it's about a 25 minute walk back to port ... or you can catch the bus to the port (#843). Just be sure to let your guide on the bus know that you might not be joining them for the return trip as they are very careful about doing head counts.

Just wanted to add that if you are considering returning by metro, do some research on this forum first to be sure that you know where the ship is docked in relation to the metro station in Piraeus, and what direction to head in. It might be a bit confusing for you otherwise since you aren't taking the metro into Athens in the morning ... and since you'll want to be back shortly after 5, you won't have a lot of time to spare.

There was no option for that, but we thought we could go to the cafeteria there and grab something to eat and then go in. Do you have any idea how far it is from there to the boat if we decide to get back to the boat on our own instead of with the tour?

It indeed is only six or seven miles. The taxi ride "door to door" takes about 25 minutes max. We paid 20 Euros for us and all of our luggage from our hotel near Syntagma Square to our cruise ship on June 5.

It's about 7 miles I think .. would you be going by taxi or metro? There's a metro stop next to the museum...you would take it to Omonia station and transfer to the green line to Piraeus. At Piraeus, it's about a 25 minute walk back to port ... or you can catch the bus to the port (#843). Just be sure to let your guide on the bus know that you might not be joining them for the return trip as they are very careful about doing head counts.

Just wanted to add that if you are considering returning by metro, do some research on this forum first to be sure that you know where the ship is docked in relation to the metro station in Piraeus, and what direction to head in. It might be a bit confusing for you otherwise since you aren't taking the metro into Athens in the morning ... and since you'll want to be back shortly after 5, you won't have a lot of time to spare.

Problem solved. I purchased a second set of tickets for 12-2 so that now we can enter right after the tour and be done in time to meet the tour back for the transport to the boat. Many thanks for your help in helping us figure this out! The tickets are only 1 euro each, so it seemed like a pretty easy solution to the problem.

Problem solved. I purchased a second set of tickets for 12-2 so that now we can enter right after the tour and be done in time to meet the tour back for the transport to the boat. Many thanks for your help in helping us figure this out! The tickets are only 1 euro each, so it seemed like a pretty easy solution to the problem.

That was an easy solution - I think you'll be glad to have the convenient transportation back to the ship. Enjoy!:)

Archived