Traditional Dining Table for 2?

macky2

Hello,

DH and I will be cruising to Hawaii this fall on the Golden Princess. We have confirmed early seating for dinner and have requested a table for two. I looked on the deck plans for the Golden Princess and I don't see many (or any?) tables for two in the traditional dining room. I can't tell from the diagram if some are tables for two or waiter's stations. What are the chances of actually getting a table for two?

Kathy

We had late traditional, and requested a table for two. We were seated at a small four-top with two place settings.

Don't get your hopes up too quickly. This may only work if there are not enough people to fill up those tables. We requested a 2-top and were seated with another couple that had requested the same. If this is a deal-breaker, go see the Maitre'd the first day - scope out your table. You may have to go to anytime dining. That's what we will do from now on, although we do like late traditional.

Just came off teh golden; there are very, very few two tops. We requested a table for four (we're a party of three), and were seating at a six-top, but our table mates never showed up! So it was a huge table, with few people--we were lucky :p

We always thought we would prefer a table for 2, until we had one. While we love spending time together, we really missed out on meeting more people on the cruise. Now we usually go for a table for 6, and then book at least one night in a specialty restaurant by ourselves. It's the best of both worlds for us.

Traditional dining generally fills to capacity, so I wouldn't count on a table for 2 unless you go to anytime. Yes you might get lucky, but if there are people on a waiting list I doubt they will provide a 4-top table for use by only two people.

Maria

Even though in the past we had always enjoyed the traditional dining and our dinner companions, we now prefer a table for 2. We always select the Anytime dining, so we can get a table for 2. We have never had a problem getting a table for 2 with anytime dining.

Hello,

DH and I will be cruising to Hawaii this fall on the Golden Princess. We have confirmed early seating for dinner and have requested a table for two. I looked on the deck plans for the Golden Princess and I don't see many (or any?) tables for two in the traditional dining room. I can't tell from the diagram if some are tables for two or waiter's stations. What are the chances of actually getting a table for two?

Kathy

Since you are confirmed for Early Traditional (and you see that a table for 2 might be a problem), why not switch to Anytime and go early. I would think you would have very little problem getting a small table early in the evening. From what I've read, waiting for a table for 2 is much more likely during the 7 to 8 time slot.

Since you are confirmed for Early Traditional (and you see that a table for 2 might be a problem), why not switch to Anytime and go early. I would think you would have very little problem getting a small table early in the evening. From what I've read, waiting for a table for 2 is much more likely during the 7 to 8 time slot.

Can you switch once on board?:confused:

OP here. I'm really glad I asked this question.

DH and I will never again volunteer to sit at a table with people we don't know after a really awful experience we had at an assigned table for eight where we were # 8 and #9 to show up and the other seven diners were in some kind of a group. They didn't want us at their table and made their feelings clearly known. The maitre'd wouldn't seat us elsewhere and we had a really miserable dinner with people who were unhappy with having us join "their" table.

We laugh about it now, but it's a table for two for us from now on. We know we will have a good time with each other!

I think I will take the advice about changing to Anytime Dining, go early and wait for a table for two if necessary.

Thanks everyone.

Kathy

Is it that difficult to get a table for two on a cruise ship?

Which would be easier Anytime or Trad?

There are often not too many tables for two and many requests for them. On the small Princess ships there are a number of tables for two, but most are just tables for eight, with one piece moved about 6 or 8 inches to create a table for six and a table for 2.

OP here. I'm really glad I asked this question.

DH and I will never again volunteer to sit at a table with people we don't know after a really awful experience we had at an assigned table for eight where we were # 8 and #9 to show up and the other seven diners were in some kind of a group. They didn't want us at their table and made their feelings clearly known. The maitre'd wouldn't seat us elsewhere and we had a really miserable dinner with people who were unhappy with having us join "their" table.

We laugh about it now, but it's a table for two for us from now on. We know we will have a good time with each other!

I think I will take the advice about changing to Anytime Dining, go early and wait for a table for two if necessary.

Thanks everyone.

Kathy

I know what you mean about being stuck at a table with a closed group. Terrible for sure. Even worse that that is choosing a table for 4 & being stuck with another couple you have NOTHING in common with. I've been there once & never again. It's either a table for 2 or at least 6 but never, never 4.

Hello,

Kathy

Wave a ben franklin in front of the matrie d's face and you will see how easy it will be to get a table for 2 for the entire cruise. You could try a ten spot though first and see if he bites. LOL

I wouldn't wave any denomination of money under anybody's nose. I would have no problem reminding a matre'd or who ever is seating me that I selected anytime dining and the idea of anytime dining is to eat with whom I want, when I want. I want to eat with my husband, and only with my husband. If I have to wait for a table for two, I will wait, but we are early eaters and never have a problem getting a table for 2.

I wouldn't wave any denomination of money under anybody's nose. I would have no problem reminding a matre'd or who ever is seating me that I selected anytime dining and the idea of anytime dining is to eat with whom I want, when I want. I want to eat with my husband, and only with my husband. If I have to wait for a table for two, I will wait, but we are early eaters and never have a problem getting a table for 2.

The OP's post appears that they want traditional and not anytime. They did their homework and they found that there are not many tables for 2. Since they really want a table for 2 because of a past experience giving a special gratuity would likely land them a private table. There is nothing wrong with

waving any denomination if it makes your experience more enjoyable.

There are often not too many tables for two and many requests for them. On the small Princess ships there are a number of tables for two, but most are just tables for eight, with one piece moved about 6 or 8 inches to create a table for six and a table for 2.

I am trying to visualize this.

In other words, I might be bumping elbows with the person sitting next to me??? :eek:...;)...:rolleyes:

I am trying to visualize this.

In other words, I might be bumping elbows with the person sitting next to me??? :eek:...;)...:rolleyes:

Go to http://fp.caribill.com/ and click on "Food"

The second picture shows a table for two (lower left of picture) near a table for six. You can see the gap between the two tables.

Archived