Please share your experiences!!!

mommiejaxx

Could I get some experiences shared about Camp Carnival for an almost three year old.. Lately I have been having nightmares that my child will be kidnapped out of Camp Carnival by an employee. (along the lines of the movie Flightplan but on a cruise ship) Or that she will be released accidentily to another passenger. (hopefully the passenger wouldn't take her but who knows nowadays) I know this sounds paranoid but as people say a cruise ship is a city in itself.. Does the staff ever take this age group for walks or out of the room? Please no flaming... I was just hoping some of you could share your experiences. She wouldn't be there a lot just for a little alone time every now and then for the hubby and myself. And time for her to play and have fun as well.. Wold totally forego alone time if anyone felt their child was not safe at Camp Carnival though...

Thanks in Advance!!!

Jackie :)

I don't think there has ever been a case of a child being abducted or harmed. These are professional child care people---they have degrees in child education and are not your normal "ship employee"...they are pros.

You are worrying for nothing. You child will be safer there than in a public school!

If you can't feel comfortable with your child going there, don't send them!

I've left 2 and 3 year olds with Camp Carnival (but I also leave them in daycare) and they love camp Carnival a whole lot more (like a daycare party everyday; balloons & facepainting)!! The only time I've seen the really little ones outside of the camp area is when you sign them up for kid meals (which my little ones LOVED), and they're in a designated, roped off area in the buffet.

But if you're going to be constantly worried.....I'd just keep them with you. Not worth getting paranoid about.

Cruising is about everyone having a good time.....carefree, worry free!

Judy

I've left 2 and 3 year olds with Camp Carnival (but I also leave them in daycare) and they love camp Carnival a whole lot more (like a daycare party everyday; balloons & facepainting)!! The only time I've seen the really little ones outside of the camp area is when you sign them up for kid meals (which my little ones LOVED), and they're in a designated, roped off area in the buffet.

But if you're going to be constantly worried.....I'd just keep them with you. Not worth getting paranoid about.

Cruising is about everyone having a good time.....carefree, worry free!

Judy

I'd like to add my experience of my 5 year old. When we sailed she wanted to go ALL the time. They had alot of activities and she just couldn't miss one lol. Although she spent alot of time there we never once were worried about her leaving with anyone else. They'd take them in a buddy sytem walk down to the buffet area and then get food for them. That is, the workers got the food while the kids sat. It was very well closed in and I counted no less then 3-4 workers for the 2-5 age group each time they were there. Also, to help ease your mind, when you check them in and out they double check your phone/pager # with their list and check your s&s card name to make sure you are the right one to pick them up.

Thank you so much for the responses... 90% of me knows she will be fine and will have a blast. Just needed to hear from some actual people who have used Camp Carnival. On our last cruise she was too young to go in and that was fine with us but this time I wanted her to have something special to do geared just towards her. I didn't know they had a beeper system so that is reassuring. I didn't know how they got ahold of you if something was wrong.. Now if those nightmares will stop crreping in my sub-concious at night I will be all set..

Thanks again!!

No one can remove them except the parent or designated person on the release form. You must leave the child's sail and sign card (id) and you must bring yours to sign them in and out. When you sign them in, right next to the child's name you write exactly who will be signing them out. That person coming to retrieve the child must have their ship id (sail and sign card). They do check so there would be no way for anyone to grab or kidnap them. They are very strict about that-no id no child. The 2-5 group never leaves the camp itself. Also no parent is allowed past the half door gate where the kids are. The Camp staff members bring your child to you. When you enter the kids room its sort of like a dr's office reception area. You are in the lobby so to speak and the kids are behind the counter. You dont have access to anyone else's kid and they dont have access to yours. Its very safe in that respect. My DD is almost 4 now but has yet to stay in camp very long and she attends daycare everyday. She always cries for us to come get her. We have tried 4 sailings since she was 2. So just be prepared your DD may not like being away from you in a strange place.

The 2-5 group never leaves the camp itself. Also no parent is allowed past the half door gate where the kids are.

Maybe our cruise the workers bent the rules some for the passed the doorway thing. I was allowed to go in a time or 2 to help her get her things and once when she was sleeping from the late night party they had. I do know for a fact they leave the camp for "dinner with friends" which happened every night at 6pm-7pm. I know from DD being there that there are alot of staff members and the area is roped off. The staff doesn't eat so they are under constant supervision. I also see that during our port days that if we had left DD onboard during an excursion she would of had "lunch with your counselors" at the same place and probably in the same manner.

So just be prepared your DD may not like being away from you in a strange place.

This was what I was going to post. It's always to think ahead "just in case". We've done one with our DD and our next will be with our son who'll be 4 at the time. He's never cruised but I made sure to think of the just in case factor if he doesn't like being there. It's almost a shame he's 3 years younger then his sister who will be 7 when we sail.

Oh and I wanted to add that when you drop off your child you can place up to 2 names for who's picking them up. DW and I did this because we never knew which would be getting her. Also you can put another persons name down (relative or friend) and have them pick them up but they MUST have the phone with them when they do. I inquired about this specifically since my parents were onboard also.

We sailed the Glory last month with our 3-year-old and had a blast! (A link to my review is in my siggy.)

I can't praise the camp counsellors enough! I even emailed Carnival after our cruise to say what fabulous people they were. My daughter LOVED camp and it really helped her with her speech impairment.

As far as leaving camp, no, they don't take the under 6 (or maybe it's under 9?) crowd out of camp. The only time the kids that young are outside the camp area are if they are having dinner on the Lido deck with Camp Carnival.

Parents were NOT allowed past the front gate when we sailed, unless it was a "family" activity, like build-a-bear, in which a parent or guardian had to be present for ANY child to be there.

Archived