SilverSea Middle East (Silver Wind 29MAR)

CASHIPman

Hello..

We're booked on the Silver Cloud: Dubai, UAE (29MAR2005); Muscat, Oman; Salalah, Oman; Safaga, Egypt; Aqaba, Jordan; Suez Transit; Port Said, Egypt.

A few questions:

1. Anyone out there going on this particular journey?

2. Anyone out there been on this journey in the past?

3. We're really curious about Salalah, Oman...what's there? Why are we going there?

4. If anyone has been on this type of voyage with SilverSea since 2001, did you have any security concerns?

5. What's the Suez Transit like?

Some folks have wondered why we'd venture to the middle east. Our philosophy is:

a) SilverSea wouldn't risk passengers and their ship if they thought it was unsafe

b) If it's my time to go, I'd rather go in an exciting locale than as a victim of the bumper of the M14 bus as it barrels down 14th St.

Thanks!

Craig

Hi Craig, my partner & I will be joining you in Dubai. We are also continuing on the next leg, and looking forward to Libya.

If I recall, I think you just did a South America cruise on Silversea. In January we are starting in Santiago and continuing all the way to Mauritius, so any tips on South America would be appreciated. We will be then going back to Cape Town, and flying to Dubai on the 28th. We had a horrible time finding a hotel in Dubai, did you?

We had a friend that did the Dubai to Port Said itinerary last year, and said it was amazing. He said the security was ever present, and never felt safer. I loved your philisophical view on the trip, as we feel the same. Unfortunately, the world will not get safer as time goes on, and SS would never risk their passengers.

Hi there...

"Sonoma Wine"? Interesting! We're planning on bringing wines with us on the ship. My partner is very much into wines. There are four of us in our group: Myself, (Craig) my partner, (Wil) our friend, (Catalina); and a friend of hers.

As for hotel in Dubai...we're at the Jumeirah Beach. AmEx booked that for us. There's a sporting event of some sort (horse race?) going on in Dubai that week making accomodations and air transport a bit difficult.

You're right about South America. We're just off (about 2 weeks ago) the Silver Wind. (Rio, Santos, Punta del Este, Montevideo, Buenos Aires.). I'll be posting a review of that cruise over the next few days here. Suffice it to say...an excellent journey.

If you want to email 'off line', I'm at speedbird4@aol.com

Look forward to hearing from you.

Craig

We cruised on the Shadow in October 2002.

Security in Egypt is extremely visible,and tight,even at the ancient sights.

The great surprise for us was how attractive,and scenically diverse,Oman was.Muscat is reputed to be the second cleanest city in the world.

Re Jordan,Petra is not to be missed.

We never once felt insecure,and the itinerary can be thoroughly recommended.

We will be on the Cape Town to PortLoius section of the cruise.We did So. America last year. Santiago To Buenos Aires.One of the most fantastic journys for the magnificent scenery.Be sure your Cabin is on the port side of the ship,Thats where all the great views of the Glaciers are.You can sit on your deck and just be amazed.and be sure to have lunch whemn in Buenos Aires at the Alvear Palalce Hotel.

Archived