cameras sold onboard

LindaKE

Does anyone know what brand((s) of camera are sold onboard in the photo shop? I've read that you can get good bargains on camera purchases since they are duty free. I would like to do research before we board so I can make an informed decision both on camera reviews and on what is a good price. I'd rather do that in advance so I don't spend time researching while onboard when I'd rather be doing ship activities.

Does anyone know what brand((s) of camera are sold onboard in the photo shop? I've read that you can get good bargains on camera purchases since they are duty free. I would like to do research before we board so I can make an informed decision both on camera reviews and on what is a good price. I'd rather do that in advance so I don't spend time researching while onboard when I'd rather be doing ship activities.

I had forgotten to take a camera on my last cruise on the Gem in March. I went to the photo shop and asked to see what they had and here's what I found:

(1) The kids behind the counter were clueless about the features of the cameras.

(2) There wasn't much of a selection.

(3) The prices appeared to be higher than I would have paid at home for similar equipment.

Bottom line: The ship is not a good place to buy a camera.

PS: I ended up buying a disposable single use camera in the gift shop for a few dollars...and gift shop even had a better selection of disposables than the camera shop!

PPS: If you're just looking for an inexpensive compact digital camera for snapshots ( as opposed to fancy expensive digital SLRs), Wal Mart has a great selection of modestly priced brand name cameras.

Just some food for thought.;)

Even if you know what brands, there are so many models within a brand that you can't do much research unless you have a specific model. Ratings and reviews can vary greatly even within a brand.

Having just recently purchased a camera, going through all the research and still ending up having a problem, it would have been very difficult, although not impossible, to resolve the issue if I had purchased it on a ship. It was resolved quickly and efficiently.:)

Duty free is not all that it's cracked up to be since it can be questionable as to the "suggested retail" the ship is listing. People will say they got a good deal and others will feel otherwise, but that could be due to lack of research beforehand.

IMO, I woud not purchase on the ship...excellent deals can be found at many reputable places online. I might also suggest that you ask your question on the Photo Gallery under Ask a Photo Question, particularly to Pierces. He is the "resident camera guru", is VERY knowlegeable and most helpful. I don't have much faith in the sales people knowing all that much either. Just as an example, the jewelry expert commented on a friends necklace saying how attractive it was and asked what kind of stones they were.....they were cheap plastic "stones".:D

I second that. You would be better buying before you sail. I just researched alot for a pocket camera. I bought it less than 2 weeks ago and it has not been taking good pictures. The camera has some very good reviews...and some mediocre ones. Of course I found the mediocre ones after the purchase. I am experiencing the exact things stated in the mediocre reviews. I have a better camera....but I wanted a smaller one to throw in my purse. We have been having horrible weather here so I really havent been able to take outdoor pictures to check it out fully. I would recommend buying a camera ahead of your cruise and try it out before you sail......IMO. Good luck.

Thanks. I had thought that, even if the cruise line had some good cameras, their price probably wasn't low enough even with it being duty free to make it a good buy. But then I read of people anxious to get the good bargains of duty free goods, including cameras. So I thought I'd try to do research ahead of time so I'd be able to make an informed decision once I'm onboard.

We've got a Canon Power Shot that will probably be adequate for our upcoming Canada / New England cruise, but we think our next cruise will be a return to Alaska. Knowing how many photos we came home with last time, we were thinking a better camera might be justified.

When I happened to glance at cameras they had, the prices seemed high. Forget research, because what they have today could easily be different next week as they get new inventory. Models change fast and furious in that business.

Unless you are looking to do some fancy photo work, you Sure Shot probably will be just fine. Extra memory is dirt cheap these days at walmart.

go to target or any other mass marketer. Look at the cameras see what you like then go on line and search for the best price for the same camera. You will do better than on board and on most places outside the US and have a camera with a US warranty.....and it will be cheaper than you think. I am on my fourth Canon digital....2 were bought this way. 1 was bought on ebay for a song and a dance and one was bought at a tag sale...

my latest is a canon power shot sx100(with a 10x mechanical zoom-digital zoom sucks lemons)-the only thing I don't like about it is no separate sighting mechanism the large screen only

ps you also want to play with it and learn about it before the cruise. the worst place is to do this when you just got it and miss a shot..

Archived