good post-cruise hotel in Vancouver?

I know that the Pan Pacific and the Fairmont Waterfront are highly touted, but they're also quite expensive. I'm wondering if there're any other very comfortable hotels that would have easy access from the cruise terminal and within easy walking distance to Stanley Park (which I remember enjoying very much on our one previous trip 20 years ago).

We're very noise conscious, so finding a quiet hotel is a high priority. We'll have had fantastic scenery on our Alaska cruise, but nice views from the hotel would be great too. Quiet and peaceful and great beds are higher priority though. We're not night-life people (we're oldsters), so don't need a "happening" area. Just very quiet and comfortable and convenient surroundings.

And if we decide we want to splurge on one of the Canada Place hotels, I wonder which is to be preferred? And also how the Hyatt compares.

Thank you.

I know that the Pan Pacific and the Fairmont Waterfront are highly touted, but they're also quite expensive. I'm wondering if there're any other very comfortable hotels that would have easy access from the cruise terminal and within easy walking distance to Stanley Park (which I remember enjoying very much on our one previous trip 20 years ago).

We're very noise conscious, so finding a quiet hotel is a high priority. We'll have had fantastic scenery on our Alaska cruise, but nice views from the hotel would be great too. Quiet and peaceful and great beds are higher priority though. We're not night-life people (we're oldsters), so don't need a "happening" area. Just very quiet and comfortable and convenient surroundings.

And if we decide we want to splurge on one of the Canada Place hotels, I wonder which is to be preferred? And also how the Hyatt compares.

Thank you.

People seem to be having great luck with priceline, getting hotels like the Fairmont and Pan Pacific for discount prices ($100). Bid 4star downtown, and you'll get a deal it seems.

Thanks for suggestion, but being an old dog, I'm uncomfortable with the whole bidding thing. I wonder what the best option is for those of us who don't want to learn new tricks.

Thanks for suggestion, but being an old dog, I'm uncomfortable with the whole bidding thing. I wonder what the best option is for those of us who don't want to learn new tricks.

Not much to learn. You type in a price (I suggest starting at $95 for a 4 star), and if it's refused, you try again tomorrow. You don't know WHICH hotel you've got until after the bid is accepted. I've been very lucky with Priceline having recieved rooms generally at less than 1/2 the rack rate.

I use Priceline a lot now and have used it as recently as 6 weeks ago when I needed a room in Vancouver. Once on Priceline go to the biding screen, then click on Downtown-Vancouver (nothing else), then click 3+* and start your biding at about $70. You will find all of the hotels at this level in the downtown core, will be newish, pretty well sound isolated, in a safe and convenient area. With almost all you will be able to walk to Stanley Park within 20 mins and with the exception of the Westin-Bayshore, which is actually closest to the park, none will be more than a $10 cab ride to the piers...the Bayshore add $3 to $5 to that. Hotels that you may well get include the Pan Pacific, the two Marriotts, the Hyatt Regency, the Westin Bayshore or the Westin Grand and the Sutton Place. The end price includes taxes and their booking fee which runs about $7 to $8 per night. Good luck.

Thank you.

Based on your criteria, I would recommend the Westin Bayshore, which is known for its "Heavenly beds". It is a stone's throw from Stanley Park, it is right by the Marina, and if you can get a north-facing room, you will see the north shore mountains. It is also on the quiet side because you are mostly surrounded by residential buildings. It is also close to the west end neighborhood, which has a lot of restaurants, and you are practically next to 2 restaurants: The Lift, and Cardero's. The only down side to it is you may hear the float planes taking off, but you won't hear them at night so it should be okay.

If you want to guarantee a room at this hotel, I would shy away from booking on priceline.

Thanks so much for the continued replies.

I definitely am not interested in doing a priceline type thing. Am willing to pay somewhat more to be able to choose exact room type and especially the specific hotel.

Westin Bayshore looks terrific for us in so many ways. I love the location, and no doubt the rooms are very comfortable. Problem is that quite a few reviews of the property say it's noisy, i.e. not noise from outside, but rather inside noise. They mention that the walls between rooms are very thin, so that one hears one's neighbors even if they are speaking at normal volume. Someone also mentioned that the room doors close automatically-- with a very loud bang. I'm always grateful when reviewers mention such details (not many do) since we're so especially noise-sensitive. I'd really like to stay at Westin, but think it's probably not a good choice for us. I think I may bite the bullet and spring for Fairmont Waterfront.

But would welcome more comments.

I have never heard of the Bayshore being noisy but as you have discounted it then I would suggest that it is a toss up between the Pan Pacific and the Waterfront. In your first post you mentioned the Hyatt Regency, it is a very good hotel, in an extremely convenient location...closer to 4* though and not in the same league as the PP or the Waterfront. However I will toss one more into the mix and suggest the Terminal City Club Tower Hotel which is just a block or so east of Canada Place and has some great views out over the harbour and the North Shore Mountains.

http://www.tctowerhotel.com/

Archived