grand princess mediteranian cruise

Anthin

I am going from Southampton on the 18 July, can anyone tell me if it is easy to get to Rome on our own or should we take the organised trip.

Also from Cadiz to Saville.

We thought we would get the train, but do not want to be left behind.

I am going from Southampton on the 18 July, can anyone tell me if it is easy to get to Rome on our own or should we take the organised trip.

I haven't done the Cadiz from Seville so can't comment on that , but for Rome I would definately do something organised, even if its just the trip where they take you to Rome and you do as you please. You will dock in Civitavecchia which is at least an 1 and half hours from Rome. Very expensive in a taxi, and depending on traffic it can take longer.

Enjoy Rome, its great:)

From Civitavecchia, a short taxi ride, or a long walk, will bring you to the train station. Trains leave every hour to Terminal Station in the heart of Rome. The trip takes approx. 55 minutes. You will see much more this way on your own and save a ton of money by not taking the ship's tour. The trains have a set schedule; stick to it and you'll have no worries getting back in time.

Whatever trip we do on our own, (doesn't matter which port/which country) we always allow enough time to get back one hour before they tell you to.

We were on the Grand in Apr/May. Many people just took the train into Rome from the port. We did talk to a couple that had a problem taking the train and almost did not return in time. I can't remember exactly what the problem was - missed the train or took the wrong train?? We wanted to be sure to return in time so we paid the extra money and had Princess take us to Rome on a bus. The bus dropped us off a block from St. Peter's. We wanted to spend the entire day at the Vatican so that worked out well for us. The guide on the bus will try to sell you an organized tour in Rome for extra money. Some people did sign up for it.

We were there on a Saturday, the day after May Day. We waited over an hour to get into St Peter's. I do not know if that was normal or was caused by the holiday. The line to the Vatican Museum was at least 2 hours long. I purchased advanced tickets at the Vatican website. So we were in the museum in less than 5 minutes. I would suggest that this is the way to go. If I had not have purchased the tickets in advance we would have never gotten into he museum at all.

DH and DS just returned from a Med. cruise this past May. As other posters have said, they also agree it is an easy transfer utilizing the train into Rome. I found a lot of information for them on the Port-of-Call boards.I would suggest for you to look there also, and take lots of notes:) The one thing that they both said was difficult for them, while in Rome, was finding street signs.In other words, they got lost few times. They said that the public transportation in Rome though was pretty easy to follow.

You will have a terrific cruise! Their pictures are just amazing. All I can say is I am definately going the next time;)

Have fun!!

Linda

I did Rome on my own in April and found it very easy and inexpensive.

The port in Civitavecchia is large. There will be shuttle buses from the ship that will take you to the port gates. Once you exit these gates turn to your right and keep the sea on your right hand side. Walk for about 10 minutes and you will see on the left hand side of the road the train station. Cross the street to the terminal.

Here you can buy a Birg ticket for €9. This will get you to and from Rome and also allows for all day transportation of the busses and subways in Rome. You can avoid the lines ups in the train station by going just passed the main door and you will find a tobbaconist who will sell you the exact same ticket no line-ups.

If you have an interest in the seeing the Vatican get off the train at the San Petro stop, you will be able to see the roof of St. Peter's and it is a short 5-10 minute walk away. You can then make your way through the city either walking or using public transport and see lots of the sights, such as the Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, Parthenon etc. making your way back to the Termini station ( main station in Rome). Or you could stay on the train all the way to Termini and start there. The train trip is approximately 1 hour, lest if you get off at the Vatican.

Rome is very easy to walk around and there is good signage. The map from the ship is okay or you could download or buy one before you leave home or once you get there. Alternately you can take a Hop-on-Hop-off bus and see the sights that way or pick up a copy of their map which is always a great resource if you like the idea of walking as the sights are all pointed out and gives you a great idea of which direction to go to see what.

People might warn you that Italy is notorious for train strikes...don't worry about this too much. They are usually announced before hand and if the train is running in the morning it will be running in the afternoon.

If you go independently I would suggest doing some research before hand, the port of call boards on here are excellent. Have a plan to make the most of your day. Most impportantly leave yourself plenty of time to get back to the ship, don't wait for the last train...take the one before that at least.

I can't help you with Cadiz as I have not been there but if I can answer any other questions feel free to drop me a line at; rochelleshott@hotmail.com

Hope this helps and have a great cruise!

Rochelle

I can only speak about Rome. In my research its possible to DIY. The advantages are saving big bucks, the downside it relies on multiple public transportation transfers. You will need to budget your time and make sure to provide sufficient buffer for any hiccups. You also need to plan your day in Rome carefully as there is just so much to see and you can't be late back or :eek:

Don't know what your budget is but if you get a group of 6-8 fellow tourers togather you can secure a private van for a little over a 100 euros and see all the big sights. No question more expensive but after spending so much for cruise, airfare and such I found it more then worthwhile.

happy planning

I recommend a ship option from Cadiz to Seville. They have one that will allow you to take the Princess bus to Seville and back and spend the day on your own. As I recall it drops you off not far from the Cathedral in the main part of town. Seville is charming and lots to see, but doable on your own.

From Civitavecchia, a short taxi ride, or a long walk, will bring you to the train station. Trains leave every hour to Terminal Station in the heart of Rome. The trip takes approx. 55 minutes. You will see much more this way on your own and save a ton of money by not taking the ship's tour. The trains have a set schedule; stick to it and you'll have no worries getting back in time.

Whatever trip we do on our own, (doesn't matter which port/which country) we always allow enough time to get back one hour before they tell you to.

Definitely take the train! There will be a free shuttle from the ship to the port entrance. From there it is an easy 15 minute walk to the train station. Take the train into Rome Termini. From there you can walk to all the major sites. Metro is there as well which is good. Train is reliable and inexpensive! Enjoy!

Definitely take the train. It will save you a lot of money and is a good experience. As others have said the train station is an easy walk after the shuttle. Lots of passengers will be doing this, so you will not be alone. Do have a decent map.

Thankyou all for your replies.

A.:)

Archived