Fascination 12/13- course change

JRcruise

. a person is not allowed to cruise at 8 months pregnant- ccording to the cruiselines web pages but I am understanding that some rules that are made can be broken under certain circumstances.

I was on the Fantasy many years ago when we departed late from a port because a woman went into labor.She did not show it but she was near full term we were told by friends of theirs onboard.This was against the policy but what is the cruiseline actually going to do about it.That is why I mentioned it before.

I believe a true medical emergency should receive good care but all others should risk their own peril if they caused it or knew about it.It reminds me of the show "Airline" a passenger needing Oxygen was going to fly anyway with out it and after getting him on the plane,they needed to take him off luckily before it took off.

Steve

For the poster who wanted to know when we made the turn back to Key West: We left there at 2 PM, and at sunset, I was looking out our window and remarked to our husband that it looked like we were heading north. We both were taken aback, couldn't figure it out, but assumed we were mistaken. obviously, we weren't. At the Captain's reception that evening (2nd seating), the cruise director made the announcement that the captain couldn't attend due to "an emergency situation on the bridge". That raised everyone's eyebrows! About 15 minutes later, the announcement was made that we were headed back to key West due to a medical emergency and that we wouldn't be going to Cozumel. Within 30 minutes of this announcement, we saw the lights of Key West and the Coast Guard pulled alongside our ship.

Rumors swirled the next day that it was an 8-months pregnant woman who had gone into labor. I don't know if this is true, that's just what was going around. But obviously, the "emergency" happened shortly after we left Key West.

And, I never suggested that we should be entitled to a refund or given a future free cruise. That's ridiculous. However, I do feel that a partial credit good on a future cruise with the intended itinerary would be only fair. We love cruising, and choose them primarily for the ports of call. Having been to Nassau several times already, we would never have chosen one with this port of call. Given all of that, we made lemonade out of lemons and had a good time, even though some of our group became ill. We didn't mope about the situation. We were still on vacation! Just not the one we had planned for 6 months.

Just got off the Legend and we had 10 YES ten people get sick made an unscheduled stop in cozumel 3 got off so we were late getting to Belize but in Belize a few more had to get off same for Costa rica. We left panama but had to turn around and go back yeap 1 more got off. Then finally on the way back to Ft Laurderdale we had to stop in Grand caymen yeap 1 more got off. Got back to FT Laur. 3 hrs late and did not get off boat to 1:30 pm. Sh!T happens oh yeah some of the 10 were crew.

Rumors swirled the next day that it was an 8-months pregnant woman who had gone into labor. I don't know if this is true, that's just what was going around. But obviously, the "emergency" happened shortly after we left Key West.

And, I never suggested that we should be entitled to a refund or given a future free cruise. That's ridiculous. .

I knew it.:mad:

Flahagan, no it is not rediculous. Again this is CCL trying to make a buck and causing all the passengers to get screwed over of Cozumel as a port. It clearly states that that you cannot sail at 8 months.I had the same happen to me on a cruise. You should be able to sue the woman who went into labor.You would probably win!

Per the brochure, they grab your booze,they add tips to your S&S but being 8 months pregnant not allowed to cruise.

Good job CCL.:mad:

Steve

we have some seriously soft hearted people here on the boards.....people who obviously dont feel that we live in a dog eat dog world out there......bottom line, if you pay for a product or service, you expect to get what you pay for......bs excuses dont pay the bills.....2500 people have planned and are expecting to spend X number of hours in Cozumel, and that ends up being changed to accomodate the needs of 1 person.....those 2500 have a valid reason to b**ch.....its like if you went to a restaurant expecting a great meal but instead it sucked because the head chef was out with a broken arm.....are we supposed to be ok with the sucky meal because we feel sympathy for the chef??......bs......i buy a new car and the CD player doesnt work because the guy installing it that day had a bad night because his wife just left him...... out of sympathy am i supposed to forgive the fact that my CD player doesnt work?...... people should want and expect to get what they pay for.......in a FAIR world, carnival should shell out some dough for such inconveniences as missed or changed ports.......and DRs should pay ME while i wait as they are late in seeing me for my appointment:).........life is fun, life is kewl, anything is better than a kick in the head by a mule:)

I am one of those soft hearted people. If the ship turned around because someone was having a heartattack or a stroke I would be more sympathetic. I will not be that way because my cruise was diverted because of an 8 month old pregnant person. To put her health in jeopardy at that last stage of a pregnancy jsut doesnt warrant that sympathy. If Cruiselines are going to set guidlines and rules why dont these rules apply to EVERYONE?>

And, I never suggested that we should be entitled to a refund or given a future free cruise. That's ridiculous. However, I do feel that a partial credit good on a future cruise with the intended itinerary would be only fair. We love cruising, and choose them primarily for the ports of call. Having been to Nassau several times already, we would never have chosen one with this port of call. Given all of that, we made lemonade out of lemons and had a good time, even though some of our group became ill. We didn't mope about the situation. We were still on vacation! Just not the one we had planned for 6 months.

Then what did you mean by the statement below? This was off of your first post on this subject. Sounds like you were looking for a free cruise to me. You did not state that you were looking for a partial credit or a precent off.

But I also think in all fairness, Carnival should offer a credit for a future Western Caribbean cruise.

To expand on your theory that every time a ship gets diverted the cruise line should offer some sort of compensation, if this were to happen cruises would cost twice as much to begin with so more people are now inconvenienced or can not afford to go. Granted an 8 month pregnant lady should not be allowed on the cruise to begin with, but how does Carnival know that that lady is 8 months pregnant, should they ask every women boarding the ship are you pregnant and if so how many months. Not all 8 month pregnantn women look 8 months pregnant, some do not even know they are pregnant, although I still have not figured out how that could be.

But again the Contract states that the cruise line may 'for any reason' modify the itinerary and they are not responsible for any changes. With Carnival there is the guarantee and if you are that upset, get off at the next port of call and have them reimburse you for the unused portion of the cruise

To expand on your theory that every time a ship gets diverted the cruise line should offer some sort of compensation, if this were to happen cruises would cost twice as much to begin with so more people are now inconvenienced or can not afford to go. Granted an 8 month pregnant lady should not be allowed on the cruise to begin with, but how does Carnival know that that lady is 8 months pregnant, should they ask every women boarding the ship are you pregnant and if so how many months. Not all 8 month pregnantn women look 8 months pregnant, some do not even know they are pregnant, although I still have not figured out how that could be.

But again the Contract states that the cruise line may 'for any reason' modify the itinerary and they are not responsible for any changes. With Carnival there is the guarantee and if you are that upset, get off at the next port of call and have them reimburse you for the unused portion of the cruise

This was meant as a response to robbyxoxo

I can tell that by several of the posters on here with their attitudes that it is all about them. To hell with saving a life.

Thats right! To hell with saving a life. When you stupidly put it on the line.

The not over 27 week rule for sailing is exactly that.The rules. They are to prevent someone from losing their life. This person disrupted 2500 people and we are to feel sorry for them? How do figure otherwise?

Steve

Thats right! To hell with saving a life. When you stupidly put it on the line.

The not over 27 week rule for sailing is exactly that.The rules. They are to prevent someone from losing their life. This person disrupted 2500 people and we are to feel sorry for them? How do figure otherwise?

Steve

If a pregnant lady was the case here then if Carnival somehow knew that she was that pregnant, she should not have been let on, and Carnival should offer some kind of compensation in this case, but if Carnival did not know that she was that far along and how was Carnival to know for sure, even if she looked that pregnant, she could have lied when asked, then how can you blame Carnival, it is really the ladys fault and Carnival should sue her for disrupting the trip, including the extra port charges that Carnival would have had to pay for going to Nassau, and if they received enough from her than should rebate the other people on that cruise. And maybe she really was not 27 weeks pregnant but went into early labor, should Carnival or any other cruise line prevent anyone from boarding if they LOOK pregnant?

If she WAS 8 months pregnant maybe they should peek in and see if there is a brain somewhere- why would she take a vacation that time in her pregnacy- to put her babies life in the hands of a foreign land. oh mi.

If she WAS 8 months pregnant maybe they should peek in and see if there is a brain somewhere- why would she take a vacation that time in her pregnacy- to put her babies life in the hands of a foreign land. oh mi.

Totally agree here, doing anything to endanger the life of an unboard child should be a criminal offense. This is not normally as bad as smoking or drinking during pregnancy, but it could have been as bad or worse, what if it was on the second day of 3 consecutive at sea days with no port in sight, such as transit from the west coast to Hawaii, the baby could have been in grave danger if there were any complications with the pregnancy

Totally agree here, doing anything to endanger the life of an unboard child should be a criminal offense. This is not normally as bad as smoking or drinking during pregnancy, but it could have been as bad or worse, what if it was on the second day of 3 consecutive at sea days with no port in sight, such as transit from the west coast to Hawaii, the baby could have been in grave danger if there were any complications with the pregnancy

Slip of the tongue there I meant to say unborn child not unboard. Just can't wait to be onboard my next cruise

an 8 month old pregnant person.

Serene have you been hittin' the nog this morning? ;)

If a pregnant lady was the case here then if Carnival somehow knew that she was that pregnant, she should not have been let on, and Carnival should offer some kind of compensation in this case

it is really the ladys fault and Carnival should sue her for disrupting the trip, including the extra port charges that Carnival would have had to pay for going to Nassau, and if they received enough from her than should rebate the other people on that cruise.

Carnival or any other cruise line prevent anyone from boarding if they LOOK pregnant?

First of all at 27 weeks my ex (when pregnant with our first) was still wearing her "thin" jeans. Some women are like that so maybe they couldn't tell and she didn't volunteer that fact. Second....maybe you should spearhead the "compensation parade".....FREAKIN' REDICULOUS.

Yet another rediculous statement.

Yes, incase the person needs medical attention.

Serene, we now live in a world of me...me...me and that is sad.

Don't be so hard on yourself. We don't all think the world is sad just because you are in it cruisingator2. ;)

Realistically, they can't just keep on sailing as planned if the woman was going into labor. She definitely should not have been on board, but once she was CCL can't just follow their original itinerary and say "If the mother or baby dies, oh well, thems the breaks".

In theory I do like the idea of hitting her for a claim for damages over this, but from Carnival's perspective that probably doesn't make a whole lot of business sense. They'd have a lot of legal expenses and unless the woman was wealthy the amount of money they might actually get to recover would be trivial compared to Carnival's operating expenses for a huge ship.

Yes, it would discourage her from ever doing it again. But what is the likelihood of that same woman ever trying to cruise again while pregnant? I doubt it would stop many other women from trying the same thing, because most people would never even hear of the lawsuit.

If the port charges were lower for Nassau than Cozumel, CCL should have refunded the difference.

All I could find is port charges and taxes for Cozumel are $132 and for Nassau are $123. But if the taxes are based on the value of the cruise the $9 difference may be due to the fact that the 4 day Cozumel cruise costs more.

All we have heard so far is that this was a "rumor" of an woman that was in her eighth month of pregnacy. We all know how rumors get stretched from one person to the next. No one knows for sure what happened other than Carnival. It is obvious that the Captain who is in charge of the vessel made the decision to change course to save a human life. He and the cruise line are in their right to do so. Each and every passenger that boarded that vessel agreed to the contract with Carnival when they accepted their tickets. End of story!

Realistically, they can't just keep on sailing as planned if the woman was going into labor. She definitely should not have been on board, but once she was CCL can't just follow their original itinerary and say "If the mother or baby dies, oh well, thems the breaks".

Then how do you satisfy 2500 passengers?

How do you send a message to CCL for them to police their own rules better?

Why wasn't a helicopter called in for her,at her expense?

Why wasn't a coast guard cutter sent to meet the ship enroute?

Steve

Archived