Greenwich Tenders????

ewynn07

Please, please tell me it isn't true!! We are booked on the Prinsendam that leaves Amersterdam August 7th. and arrives in Greenwich August 23rd. We have been told that you are "tendered" into the port. Hopefully this is not true...you say "tender" and I panic.:mad:

Also, looking for a CC group for this cruise....don't want to miss any of the fun!:)

I don't know why you panic over tenders. It just means (I think) that the port, for some reason, is too small to allow the boats to dock.

I actually preferred tendered sites in Europe because that meant that we were let off in town, near the sights, instead of miles (and miles) away from everything. We got hopelessly lost trying to get back to Zeebrucke from Bruges! :eek:

At one point, we were scheduled to dock at the industrial port of Brest, but due to a dockworker strike had to tender at the beautiful picturesque port of St. Malo at the foot of the old city. :)

Don't let the fact that you are tendered put you off! (PS I love Greenwich--don't miss the Prime Meridian!) (PPS I also love the Prinsendam.)

I've been tendered there on The World and it was just fine. The ship will still be very close to shore since the Thames is not very wide there. It's a nice port of call because the town is charming and there is very easy access to the Underground subway system.

I can understand panicking at the thought of boarding a tender instead of using a dock. When that tender is bobbing up and down at a different rate than, and out of sync to, the mother ship, it can be scary if you aren't sure-footed.

The seamen will help you.

The set-up on the Prinsendam is a little different from other ships. The stairs heading down to the tender platform are inside the ship, not set on the outside. And the "platform" is the floor of the ship.

Thanks for the tender info.... I was injured on a tender in 2002...therefore I have missed several ports because of my fear. When we booked this cruise we knew they used a tender for one port (Visby Sweden) but it was never mentioned Greenwich. TOO late to change our plans.....

• 1 month later...

Archived