Ballroom Dancing on Westerdam

Waltzing Reg

My wife are social ballroom dancers. We had a great time on our last cruise dancing every night in the Ocean Lounge on Oosterdam. We have heard, however, that are nights there is no band in the Ocean Lounge on Westerdam, and we are scheduled for the September 13 sailing on her. If anyone has been on Westerdam lately, can you tell me if there is a band in the Ocean Lounge every night or just a few nights during the cruise. Thanks.

We spent 21 days on the Westerdam this past spring.

The Ocean Bar had a band that played about 1/2 hour -- took a break for about 1/2 hour -- no ball room dancing.

The Crow's Nest had Ian Clooney -- a guitarist.

Several evenings in the Queen's Lounge they did have ball room dancing as well as other dancing for about an hour.

I've never sailed a HAL ship that didn't have a combo in the Ocean Bar every night.

Yes, they take breaks. Sometimes I have questioned the timing of those breaks, since frequently they seem to start one just as the show is getting out. But there is a dance venue you can count on.

• 3 months later...

Post cruise, I shall answer my own question. We had all the dance opportunity we could want on the Westerdam. We danced for hours to the combo in the Ocean Lounge, which although small, was plenty large enough for the two or three couples dancing at a time. We also danced to the HALCATS in the Queen's Lounge, although the music was more of a sixties variety. So, for those looking for ballroom dancing on Holland America ships, I can tell you that, on Westerdam at least, you should be able to dance you want to dance.

Archived