Babies in cars

cruisinsb

My son will be 10 and a half months when we go on our cruise. In the past we have taken cabs to get from the ports of call to the beaches. I am assuming we will do this again, however I am not sure what to do with my son. I know it isnt safe for him to be in our laps. Is there a portable car seat that is easy to install?

See, I'm from a generation where we didn't HAVE carseats...and we survived! For a short ride, I wouldn't even bother. Many of the island cabs don't even have working seatbelts....

I would play the odds---and the odds say your child will be fine.

I had the Eddie Bauer portable car seat for travel and it was wonderful (my girls have outgrown them now). Unfortunately, they have become extremely expensive, but if you can find one for a reasonable price, it's the perfect way to go.

You could also go to the ports of call board for the ports you are visiting and see if there is a tour/transportation company you could make prior arrangements with to bring you to the beach and take you back - then you could leave the car seat in the car/van you hire.

What ports are you visiting? The moms here may be able to give you some ideas on where to go and how to get there.

Best,

Mia

See, I'm from a generation where we didn't HAVE carseats...and we survived! For a short ride, I wouldn't even bother. Many of the island cabs don't even have working seatbelts....

I know what you are saying is right but I couldn't do it, lol!!! The 'what if's would run through my mind like crazy!!

Anyway...I would be concerned without a carseat just because everyone is on their cell phones, gps or something....it seems that no one pays 100% attention to the road, to many distractions. I worry about my safety sometimes and they can drive like crazy people on the islands, lol!!

I second the Eddie Bauer portable car seat, have heard great things about it from my friend! Also, not sure what you are looking to spend but a more expensive option would be the Sunshine Kids Carseat....super lightweight and it folds in half for easier portability.

Otherwise....I would try to see if you find a shuttle or some type of bus transportation where a carseat isn't normally required.

good luck!!! thankfully we aren't having to worry about that this time around!

• 3 weeks later...

I absolutely disagree. In my generation, we were ignorant. Today we have knowledge. In my day people did not know of the dangers of smoking either; many didn't think twice about lighting up. Today, we know the dangers of smoking and many have given up this habit because of the possible health consequences. Now that we know the consequences of unbelted passengers in a moving vehicle, we must do all we can to protect everyone in the vehicle. Unbelted passengers become missiles in an accident and can end up severly injuring a belted passenger besides themselves. There are many paraplegics and quadraplegics in this country who were injured when an unbelted passenger propelled into their necks. Not pretty!!!

I would NEVER allow a child to ride in a car without proper car seats or belts that were age appropriate. We ingrained this so much into our children, that I am proud to say that when my daughter was being picked up by another mom and there were not enough seatbelts in the vehicle for all the passengers, she did what we taught her. She called us and asked us to pick her up. We were so very proud of her. She was probably about 14 at the time.

Sounds like the OP will find some kind of car seat, which is a wise decision. Traveling with small children does mean inconvenience. However, our children's safety is worth that inconvenience.

I absolutely disagree. In my generation, we were ignorant. Today we have knowledge. In my day people did not know of the dangers of smoking either; many didn't think twice about lighting up. Today, we know the dangers of smoking and many have given up this habit because of the possible health consequences. Now that we know the consequences of unbelted passengers in a moving vehicle, we must do all we can to protect everyone in the vehicle. Unbelted passengers become missiles in an accident and can end up severly injuring a belted passenger besides themselves. There are many paraplegics and quadraplegics in this country who were injured when an unbelted passenger propelled into their necks. Not pretty!!!

I would NEVER allow a child to ride in a car without proper car seats or belts that were age appropriate. We ingrained this so much into our children, that I am proud to say that when my daughter was being picked up by another mom and there were not enough seatbelts in the vehicle for all the passengers, she did what we taught her. She called us and asked us to pick her up. We were so very proud of her. She was probably about 14 at the time.

Sounds like the OP will find some kind of car seat, which is a wise decision. Traveling with small children does mean inconvenience. However, our children's safety is worth that inconvenience.

I couldn't agree with you more! :) Thanks for the reminder that we should all be cognizant that there are consequences for our actions. The "nothing bad ever happened to us" only works because nothing bad ever happened to "them," but what about all the people that something bad did happen to?

VBMom - save your energy. CB and I have been round and round about this. She will not change her point of view. And she does a great disservice to the parents here because they read things like that and say "Oh there are NO seatbelts in the taxis" and that's simply not true. I am sure there have been cases with no seatbelts, I have yet to run into one of those cases, personally.

I can't even imagine telling a parent "Oh go ahead - hold the baby in your lap" and then something did happen while they were on vacation. :( It is just too horrible to imagine that something I wrote on a message board could effect a young life.

So it is completly irresponsible to recommend anything other than a car seat while in port. If at all possible.

VBMom - save your energy. CB and I have been round and round about this. She will not change her point of view. And she does a great disservice to the parents here because they read things like that and say "Oh there are NO seatbelts in the taxis" and that's simply not true. I am sure there have been cases with no seatbelts, I have yet to run into one of those cases, personally.

I can't even imagine telling a parent "Oh go ahead - hold the baby in your lap" and then something did happen while they were on vacation. :( It is just too horrible to imagine that something I wrote on a message board could effect a young life.

So it is completly irresponsible to recommend anything other than a car seat while in port. If at all possible.

I didn't use up too much energy. ;)

Safety is just a real concern of mine. My husband worked in automotive safety, and believe me, I heard many sad stories because people chose not to belt up.

One of our sons was in a bad car accident when someone crossed the center line and hit him head on. He did not come out unscathed, but the seatbelt kept him alive. Without it, he likely would have been dead or had severe head injuries. We are so grateful that at age 19 he followed our preachings and examples and wore that seatbelt.

You sound like a sensible and caring person. I don't think we should give up on our message just because of a few who don't see our way. Many young parents just don't realize the importance of never making an exception to the rule. People like us need to be here reminding them. I am sure some will follow CBs advice, but we may guilt a few into following what they know is right, even if it is inconvenient. In my mind if you can't deal with the inconvenience of traveling with a small child, then you shouldn't travel with them.

Just wanted to add my support to your post, Michele. :)

In my mind if you can't deal with the inconvenience of traveling with a small child, then you shouldn't travel with them.

Exactly! Carrying a car seat on vacation is better than coming home carrying a casket. :(

Just wanted to add my support to your post, Michele. :)

Thanks Michele :D

i asked this same question in another section. I consider myself a bit of a car seat fanatic. I'm a paramedic and i have seen what happens to unrestrained children. I know that the US used to not have seatbelts, but they have them now for a reason. A very good reason i might add.

My husband and i have travelled to Mexico before and i remember the drivers. This is our first cruise and i just thought about it last night. We are doing a Carribean cruise and planning on buying a cheap booster seat (DD is 4) at Walmart. That way i at least know she can be secured in the seat better.

I agree. It's true that when we were growing up we didn't have nearly the safety options that are available today. My DH and I sometimes joke that it's a miracle most of us survived. (I guess you could say that "fortunately" we're part of a big generation, so there are still plenty of us around to annoy the older generation, as well as the younger ones.):p

I have a nasty scar on my right eyebrow. I got it when I was 5, courtesy of (1) no car seats, (2) no rear seat belts, (3) front seats without "locks" on the seat back, (4) a speeding driver in a parking lot, and (5) my mom having to slam on the brakes thanks to number 4. Even though our car was going 10 mph or less, I went forward and over the front passenger seat and landed face first on the dash.

In some ways, I think many parents today do over-protect their children (the so-called "helicopter" parents, for example), but in others, parents can't be careful enough. Car seats and car safety is in the "can't be careful enough" category, IMO.

I realize parents today have quite a lot of "kid stuff" to schlep along, but that's the "price" you (we) pay for the privilege of being parents (and grandparents).

beachchick

Archived