9 Day Alaskan RT on Shadow from Vancouver - Questions

lairrah

This is my first time travelling on Silversea and I will be accompaning my parents. I have several questions for those who may have taken this trip:

1. How many formal nights onboard? I want to make sure I pack accordingly.

2. We will be arriving in Vancouver on Sunday (and departing on Tuesday); I am trying to decide on a hotel - the Pan Pacific appears to be a nice hotel and certainly convenient. Are there other suggestions? Should we stay closer downtown and take a taxi to the terminal?

3. Is the early embarkation worth it?

4. Due to my parents age/mobility, they are planning to just stay on the ship unless there are excursions where walking is very minimal. I have been looking over the excursions and was wondering if anyone had done the heli tour to Mendenhall Glacier and dog-sledding. It's pricey, but looks like a lot of fun.

Any information or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Lara:)

1. Either two or three. Silversea states that there will be two formal nights for voyages of less than eight days, and three or four for longer voyages.

2. The Pan Pacific is as good as any. Take a taxi anywhere.

3. If you stay at the Pan Pacific, you are literally next to the ship.

4. Just slowly stroll around the pier, Alaska towns are small, most tourist shops are right by the docks. Take a taxi if you want to see anything else, or ask the driver to give you a private excursion.

I thought the Pan Pacific looked great. It is unbelievably convenient and the cocktail lounge on the third floor is a lovely place to have drinks and watch the ships leave port.

On our 9 day cruise we had just two formal nights. There was a Venetian Society night dinner that was a bit more dressy but not formal. Hope you have a wonderful cruise! Alaska is spectacular.

Although my DW and I are currently (eagerly) anticipating our first SS cruise July 20th on the Shadow, we have previously sailed Alaska in 2006 on Celebrity. We chose the Pilot's Choice helicopter tour (no dog-sledding) out of Juneau and it was, without question, the most fantastic experience we've ever had on an expedition. Worth every penny..... :)

Hello, I will be on this same cruise and am staying at the Pan Pacific the night before. Since it's right at the terminal, I won't have to go back across town to pick up luggage after room check out time. I'm taking a 2 piece formal, and can change tops if they have a 3rd night. Or, in room dining is an option for formal nights. Hope to see you there.

Hello, I will be on this same cruise and am staying at the Pan Pacific the night before. Since it's right at the terminal, I won't have to go back across town to pick up luggage after room check out time. I'm taking a 2 piece formal, and can change tops if they have a 3rd night. Or, in room dining is an option for formal nights. Hope to see you there.

I think I will go ahead and do the Pan Pacific as well. Seems like the best choice for convenience. I have never been on a Silversea cruise, but I am really looking forward to it - in fact, probably a little more than my parents! Hope to see you on board.

4. We did the helicopter ride to the dog sledding and absolutely had a blast! BUT the whole thing was over super fast so value for the price is iffy. We had a large shipboard credit from our TA so it was 'free' to us and thus worth every penny. But I did not recommend the same trip to my daughter when she went on her honeymoon because there were other things that cost less that were also worthwhile.

Great, I don't know if CruiseCritic has some predefined way of getting members together on a trip, but I will tell the Social Director person onboard I am a CCer and maybe we can meet for afternoon tea. I prebooked one excursion but after reading about the iffy rainy season, decided to wait until we got there. Most of the listed excursions are vague on limited mobilty- I'm taking my 85 year old father in November on Seabourn, but don't plan on getting off the ship- he has limited mobility also, and we will take a rental scooter.

I think I will go ahead and do the Pan Pacific as well. Seems like the best choice for convenience. I have never been on a Silversea cruise, but I am really looking forward to it - in fact, probably a little more than my parents! Hope to see you on board.

Vancouver is a very compact city so any hotel in the downtown area is very close to Canada Place Cruise Ship Terminal.

Having lived in Vancouver for 20 years, here are my suggestions for first class pre/post cruise hotels (in no particular order).

Pan Pacific

Fairmont Waterfront Hotel

Four Seasons

Wedgewood Hotel

Westin Bayshore

Metropolitan Hotel

Just in Vancouver and we stayed @ the Marriott using points. The front desk personnel were extremely nice. The location was super convenience for Canada Place, Gastown and walking down along the waterfront. We were with a group of three and requested one room be given late checkout. They allowed a 3pm checkout so we all put our luggage in that room and went off for a nice brunch and some sightseeing before coming back to pick up our luggage and head to the pier @ 3pm.

• 3 weeks later...

We are also sailing on the Shadow on 8-25-09. We did this cruise last summer with my in-laws. He uses oxygen and a wheel chair. To this minute he will tell you it was the best experience ever. The crew will fawn all over you and the service will make you enjoy the ship. Hope to see you onboard

• 2 weeks later...

Archived