RCI Vacation Planners?

I just booked a cruise directly with RCI. Its the first time I haven't used a TA. (Its a LONG way away yet, but I grabbed cabin 1400 on Freedom. I 'think' that's a pretty good one isn't it?

Anyway, my question. I booked it with one of RCi's vacation planners. Do they receive a commission on that booking like a TA would?

I was just wondering since I hear of people switching to a TA near final payment to get OBC etc, but would that not affect the vacatin planner at RCI?

Just wondering.

We have booked our last 4 cruises thru RCI directly. We even got the discount when the prices came down on our D1 cabin. (First time ever). You have to keep a watch on the prices, and call them when the prices drop (before final payment is made) you are locked in at the price they quote you. Since we are C&A members we called them when we got resistance about the price drop. We always book the room we want, we never let them assign us a room in the category. Don't book an adjoining cabin unless it is with family, just our preference, and issues.

We have booked our last 4 cruises thru RCI directly. We even got the discount when the prices came down on our D1 cabin. (First time ever). You have to keep a watch on the prices, and call them when the prices drop (before final payment is made) you are locked in at the price they quote you. Since we are C&A members we called them when we got resistance about the price drop. We always book the room we want, we never let them assign us a room in the category. Don't book an adjoining cabin unless it is with family, just our preference, and issues.

If you are saying you can only get price drops before final payment, this is inaccurate. I've gotten them after a few times before.

Can't comment on the OPs question, have no idea.

Anyone have any idea? The guy I had on the phone was pretty helpful and I wouldn't want to take money from him if I switch for OBC later.I just don't wat to

That is a good question. I had not thought of it before. My guess is that if they do receive a commission it would be small as it seems like Royal tries to encourage people to book through them (i.e. by not allowing TA's to discount prices) - so they must make out with more money when someone does book direct. That would not rule out the RCI vacation planner receiving some commission though. Hopefully someone will know the answer.

And for the record, I'm not trying to be nosey or find out what they earn, I don't care at all. I just don't want to screw over the person who actually helped me get a good room and booked the cruise for me. But if those folks don't profit from the booking then there's no reason why I shouldn't give it to a TA later and get a bit of OBC or a few freebies of some sort.

I don't know for sure, but my guess is that they all have some sort of incentive to convert calls into bookings. I doubt that it is in the form of a percentage of the booking, but perhaps some sort of pre-determined metric like 20% of calls into bookings. I would further suspect that if someone pulls their booking from RCCL to a TA, those would net against the positive ones. In the end, your transfer likely hurts the Vaction Planner who did all the work. Most could care less and lick their chops for $100 OBC or a bottle of wine and Xmas card.

Peter

Archived