What to do while in Juneau?

bonzijam

We don't arrive in Juneau until 2pm and leave at 10pm. I am so confused as to what to do during this time because most of our visit is in the evening. I do have a car rented from Budget but don't know if I want to use this rental or if it would be worth paying the cab fare to and from the airport. Looking for any advice to get a real taste of Juneau during that timeframe. Would love to see the glacier. We enjoy hiking, waterfalls and nature. Any help from the board? :confused:

I've been requesting pamplets from Juneau because my daughter is moving there in a couple of weeks. So, I did find out that not far from the cruise docks are tours that you can walk up to & book. Mendenhall Glacier is about 13 miles away, but you can still catch a tour bus & go there. Also, I have had friends tell me that downtown Juneau is not a very far walk at all & there's lots of shops & of course the famous "Red Dog Saloon". There's nature trails near Mt. Roberts Tram.

Hope this helps!

When are you going??? You are looking at adding about $50 in cab fees with your current Budget Rental. IF you want a rental car, then look at Rent a Wreck with the added downtown drop fee. Makes FAR better use of your short time.

YOU have to determine, WHAT you want to do and where you want to go??? Areas have been posted frequently on this board.

For clairfication, there are distinct difference between a "tour" of Mendenhall and a shuttle bus to Mendenhall, which many people prefer, since it allows more time for optional activities. Tour stops, at the most are 45 minutes.

Do your homework, head to your library and take out Fodor's Alaska and Frommer's Alaska, both have nice write ups on Juneau with walking tour and driving area suggestions.

We planned a whale watching tour before we left home - we booked with akwhalewatching.com - it was so wonderful! We were met at the ship by Clancy, (who was quite adept at driving the small bus/van) a young lady with our names on a board - there were 6 of us off the Star Princess & that's all that went on Kaytos. Quite a pleasant journey watching whales, sea lions & eagles. And quite the scenery coming back in of Mendenhall Glacier. After our boat tour, we had Clancy drop us off at Mendenhall so we could see the Glacier. After that, we called for a taxi (had the #s programmed in to our cellphones before we left on the cruise). it was too late to catch the bus that runs to the Glacier Park. There were 4 of us & it cost us about $42 to get from the park down to Red Dog Saloon. This is a great kitschy, tourist place, but the Alaskan Amber was draft & good & cold! Plus, we tried reindeer sausage. After that, it was time to get back to the ship - easy walk from the Red Dog.

Whatever you plan, you'll have a great visit to Juneau. We can't wait to go back as there is so much more to see.

I would NOT book a tour of Juneau. I'd go it alone with a rent-a-car. My DH and I had a wonderful time seeing the town by our lonesome. I think it is FAR TOO crowded and seems to just be jammed packed when 3 ships in port. It was waaaaaaaay too crowded so we lost the crowd and did our own thing. Found a Walmart, drug store, and LOTS and LOTS of eagle photo opts. It really is a nice place to drive on your own should you choose. It was by far one of the better ports IMHO. Found a GREAT place with huge cones filled with crab. Beer was the best!!!!!

When are you going??? You are looking at adding about $50 in cab fees with your current Budget Rental. IF you want a rental car, then look at Rent a Wreck with the added downtown drop fee. Makes FAR better use of your short time.

YOU have to determine, WHAT you want to do and where you want to go??? Areas have been posted frequently on this board.

For clairfication, there are distinct difference between a "tour" of Mendenhall and a shuttle bus to Mendenhall, which many people prefer, since it allows more time for optional activities. Tour stops, at the most are 45 minutes.

Do your homework, head to your library and take out Fodor's Alaska and Frommer's Alaska, both have nice write ups on Juneau with walking tour and driving area suggestions.

We recently had a good experience with Rent a Wreck but they required we drop the car in the garage by 7:30 pm so be sure to check the time before your rent...It was about $52 plus $15 for the downtown drop (much less than cab fare to their location)

Archived