Prepaid Gratuities +RCL Shareholder Credit

jt58203

A few online TAs offer Prepaid Gratuities on many Celebrity cruises. Is that treated the same as OBC? Is it combinable with the Shareholder OBC? Would be great to get both on a 10+ night cruise.

When I received prepaid grats, it never showed on my shipboard account. The transaction was included with my invoice prior to sailing. When I boarded I headed over the MDR and signed up for MTD, which required an approval for the tips to be pre-paid. They said not to worry, they wouldn't charge them again, and they didn't. Also, we did receive envelopes and vouchers to give the staff on the last night.

What did show on my account was the Shareholder OBC.

When I received prepaid grats, it never showed on my shipboard account. The transaction was included with my invoice prior to sailing. When I boarded I headed over the MDR and signed up for MTD, which required an approval for the tips to be pre-paid. They said not to worry, they wouldn't charge them again, and they didn't. Also, we did receive envelopes and vouchers to give the staff on the last night.

What did show on my account was the Shareholder OBC.

We are Princess cruisers, never on Celebrity before. Thinking about the Equinox in September. Can you give me some insight into the RCL stock perks? How much stock do you need for the perk and how many credits do you get per cruise (based on length of cruise, like Princess??). Thanks.

We are Princess cruisers, never on Celebrity before. Thinking about the Equinox in September. Can you give me some insight into the RCL stock perks? How much stock do you need for the perk and how many credits do you get per cruise (based on length of cruise, like Princess??). Thanks.

Here is the 'low down' (or is it down low)? :) Go to rccl dot com and click on 'investor relations' at the bottom of the splash page. Once the site opens clock on shareholder benefit.

You need to own 100 shares of RCL at the time of booking. Anytime prior to sailing you must fax, mail, or email a copy of your monthly statement, proxy card, or trade confirmation if you just bought stock; to the address, fax, or email on the site along with the info about your booking on Celebrity, Azamara, or RCC . Within a few days you should get a confirmation that you will have $XXX dollars credited to your onboard account.

Here is the chart depending on duration of sailing:

$250 Onboard Credit per Stateroom on Sailings of 14 or more nights.

$200 Onboard Credit per Stateroom on Sailings of 10 to 13 nights.

$100 Onboard Credit per Stateroom on Sailings of 6 to 9 nights.

$50 Onboard Credit per Stateroom on Sailings of 5 nights or less.

Applicable on any Royal Caribbean, Celebrity Cruises or Azamara Cruises Sailings. (excludes Celebrity Xpeditions)

Pat

Here is the 'low down' (or is it down low)? :) Go to rccl dot com and click on 'investor relations' at the bottom of the splash page. Once the site opens clock on shareholder benefit.

You need to own 100 shares of RCL at the time of booking. Anytime prior to sailing you must fax, mail, or email a copy of your monthly statement, proxy card, or trade confirmation if you just bought stock; to the address, fax, or email on the site along with the info about your booking on Celebrity, Azamara, or RCC . Within a few days you should get a confirmation that you will have $XXX dollars credited to your onboard account.

Here is the chart depending on duration of sailing:

$250 Onboard Credit per Stateroom on Sailings of 14 or more nights.

$200 Onboard Credit per Stateroom on Sailings of 10 to 13 nights.

$100 Onboard Credit per Stateroom on Sailings of 6 to 9 nights.

$50 Onboard Credit per Stateroom on Sailings of 5 nights or less.

Applicable on any Royal Caribbean, Celebrity Cruises or Azamara Cruises Sailings. (excludes Celebrity Xpeditions)

Pat

That's a great perk for not much cash outlay with the stock so low. Well worth buying the stock. Thanks!!

Wanted to double check....

You need to own 100 shares of RCL at the time of booking.

at the time of booking, or at the time of sailing?

Technically at the time of sailing, but there is no indication that they will actually ask for you most recent brokerage statement once on board to prove you still own the stock...

Pat

You need to own 100 shares of RCL at the time of booking.

I don't believe this is correct. I've known quite a few who purchased RCL stock shortly before sailing (having booked a year in advance) and had no issues with OBC. I've not known "time of booking" to be a requirement historically. As long as one can prove "ownership prior to sailing" has been my observation over the years.

This is from the RCCL website on the shareholder benefit: Any shareholder holding a minimum of 100 RCL shares at time of sailing.

Here's the site:

http://media.corporate-ir.net/media_files/irol/10/103045/ShareholderBenefitLetter2.pdf

I read the page at the link and wonder about the following from the fine print:

"Benefit is not combinable with other onboard credit offers. general loyalty offers, "dollars off" promotions and savings certificates. Guests have the option to choose between the shareholder benefit or the other offer."

A friend of mine recently sailed on the Solstice and was told that he could not get the shareholder benefit because he had received onboard credits when he booked the cruise.

Has anyone had similar experiences?

Crooz4fun: That restriction is correct for Celebrity and RCL. A lot of people have posted about not being able to stack OBCs.

Princess does it different - you can have their shareholder RBC and other ones too.

I think you will be able to combine the OBC with the shareholder benefit, if it came from an outside travel agent (not Celebrity).

The stock isn't as low as it was before, but I think in recent history it's been 40+ per share. I think it's worth it, but as others have warned there is no guarantee if the shareholder OBC will continue long into the future. For longer sailings the on board credit is substantial, on another 12 to 14 day cruise it would really add up.

Archived