Would you please help me planning a surprize Alaska cruise?

oliverweagle

Hi there!

My wife and I will be celebrating our 16th wedding anniversary in June 2010 - we went to Alaska for our honeymoon (stayed in a "Wannigan" in Prince William Sound) and loved it! Some years later, now have 8 year old son (well, he will be in 2010) and am looking for a cruise what will accommodate all of us! My wife and I certainly enjoy fine dining and are adventurous - son is active so I need to be sure that he will have numerous activities available. We have only cruised twice before (on Disney) and certainly enjoyed their Palo restaurant and on board activities if that helps set a picture of our likes! I looked at the Regent cruise, but think it may be a little over the top - and certainly wonder whether their children's activities may be overshadowed by their "regular" clientele but then again I have not cruised with them before and may be making the wrong assumption entirely. It is hard to know where to begin - so I am turning to you! Also, if there are any questions that may help steer us in the right direction, please let me know!

Thank you,

Ollie.

Regent get rave reviews for their upscale cruiseline and would offer you your dining priority. All the "regular" lines, which are significantly cheaper are down several notches on the dining scale. You can't expect much more than a well run moderate restaurant.

You may be best, determining your budget, if you haven't?? If it does allow you Regent, consider it. Your timeframe is limiting, however. Not enough time for much with a one way and added interior Alaska touring time, and extremely few 10 day cruises, most are 7.

With Alaska, it is nothing like sailing the Caribbean. The decks are quiet and empty, no party games, no camping out for a chair, few people using the pool.

I suggest you do your homework on Alaska and find out what is the priority for you with this visit- meaning go outside a ship at this point. Look at ports, activities, glaciers and find out the differences available. Then look at an itinerary that offers this for you. Head to your library and get Alaska By Cruiseship, Fodor's Alaska, Frommer's Alaska, Alaska travel books. The more you know and find out, the better your ship choice will be for you all.

Princess has a great kids program and I am sure RCI does too. Alaska does not get as many children and since are in a program on sea days i have no idea how many are there.

i agree with BQ that the pool deck is quiet but some like me have used the hot tub.

I have found in general that the upscale fee based dining is way better than the other places to eat. I like my cabins midship with a blacony. I jsut add alyers and go out for morning pictures and tea.

i also read Fommers or Fodders for ideas plus these boards.

Archived