Pondering the Navigator Alaska Cruise 09 June 2010

... with an 8 year old son. After reading many posts and Regent's web site itself, I am exceedingly comfortable that this will be a remarkable cruise for my wife and I. I am wondering, however, whether there will be enough activities for Noah despite reading what information I could find regarding the Mariner Club. Certainly we will try and engage in many port excursions as a family and there appears to be a good selection of those. If someone has been in a similar situation, would they please respond? I'd also like to know (with all candor) how "kid friendly" the Regency Navigator really is! My wife and I will be celebrating our 16th wedding anniversary - so this will be a significant holiday for all of us. I have a nagging feeling that perhaps we should wait until Noah is a little older - but by the same token would hate to miss out on a magnificent experience because of an unfounded assumption.

Thank you!

Ollie.

I've heard somewhere, perhaps on this board, that there will be no kids' program on Navigator in Alaska next year. Don't know if it's true, but something to check.

That being said, I think it depends on what type of child he is. If he doesn't mind the company of adults, is interested in nature and the outdoors, and doesn't mind dressing up for dinner, then I'd say go for it.

Navigator is a nice ship, good pool deck with a pool and hot tubs. And on this route you tend to be off on excursions much of the time, so again, this depends on the child whether he will find it interesting or not.

You're right Wendy -- according to the Regent website, there will not be childrens' programs in Alaska next summer -- probably due to the small public spaces on the Navigator.

In general, there is not much to do on the ship for children. . . reading, watching television, playing board games. If you plan on spending your days on excursions, he may be so tired when you return to the ship that he won't need additional activities.

The Mariner Club will be on several cruises next summer -- just not on the Navigator.

Ollie,

I'm not aware of what the Regent web site may have said previously but I just checked and there will be a Club Mariner Youth Program on the Navigator in Alaska next summer. The Youth Program will be on all Navigator cruises between your June 9th cruise and the August 18th cruise. (See http://www.rssc.com/enrichment/ProgramDetails.aspx?CatId=b5469855-d2d6-4c2f-a065-733224ce5b29&ProgramId=439bfd27-cbf6-4c01-8f5b-748640237e27.) So I'm sure there will be plenty of things for your son to do on the cruise. It will be a great experience for him.

Next year you will have to pay $399 for your son as a third passenger whereas this year your son would have sailed free of charge under the Kids Sail Free Program. However, this should be no worse than a financial wash as the $399 charge includes the free and reduced price excursion program while Kids Sail Free did not include excursions.

Enjoy your cruise.

Dave

Just wanted to contribute that I just got an RSSC Navigator Alaska brochure in the mail and it states that it will have Club Mariner for ages 5-17 from June 9-August 11, 2010. It also states it will have Ambassadors of the Environmennt Youth Program for ages 9-17 from June 9-August 11, 2010. Also, see RSSC website for confirmation.

http://www.rssc.com/enrichment/ProgramDetails.aspx?CatId=b5469855-d2d6-4c2f-a065-733224ce5b29&ProgramId=ded39e7d-2279-48fb-aaff-40d1781e287f

http://www.rssc.com/enrichment/programs.aspx?CatId=b5469855-d2d6-4c2f-a065-733224ce5b29

As to if this is a good fit for your family and son, I think it depends on all of you. If your son needs a lot of noisy stimulation and a kid-oriented environment, then I would guess he'd have a pretty unhappy week onboard an RSSC ship. If he is happy to spend time with adults and sightsee and learn and can tolerate long, formal meals, then I would guess that you have found your ideal family vacation.

Debbie

Ollie,

Just a note to let you know how fantastic the AOTE program was for my family on the PG. It was beyond anything I expected; the kids still talk about it all the time (three years later).

Because of this program, we have booked Navigator in June for the Alaska AOTE experience. I think this is one of Regent's best kept secrets, you should look into it.

Clay&Jenn

Archived